• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "I Love Reading Moderns" No Matter Their Worth Thread!

139 posts in this topic

Reading issue by issue

Chew - Great Fun every month

TWD - Getting interesting

Daredevil - Need to catch up, 2 issues behind

Animal Man - Jeff Lemire is awesome

Swamp Thing - Scott Synder is awesome

Reading trades

Fables

Scalped

I Zombie

Sweet Tooth

The Boys

Been behind on my comic reading lately since I am reading Under the Dome by Stephen King (good stuff so far). I should take a picture of my TPB wall haha.

future $1 bin fodder i happily shell out $3 for every month:

Usagi Yojimbo

Scalped

Hellboy

Fables

TWD

in addition to the titles mentioned by other members in prior posts I would add: Batman (New 52); unwritten (although I've just read the 1st two trades); and Bendis's Miles Morales.

This could be a great thread, but ultimately its a self fullfilling prophecy -- good work generates collectible value unless the print run is huge. I also don't think its fair to damb speculation if its reasonable. Unreasonable speculation is what destroyed the industry (the sports card industry, the stock market,etc.). There is nothing wrong with trying to make a little cash to cover the expenses we all incur as avid collectors.

These are the moderns I'm reading. While some of them like WD obviously have valuable early issues, the new issues fall into the "not for speculating purchase" category, and I buy them just to read.

Invincible

The Walking Dead

The Stuff of Legend

Goon

Locke & Key

Mouse Guard

Whispers (Joshua Luna's new book.)

Rachel Rising

Chew

Crossed

Hack/Slash

The Sixth Gun

The Boys

The Last Zombie

Wasteland

These are other recent books I collected, but ended or were mini's:

Proof

Cowboy Ninja Viking

The Sword

Rotten

Cursed Pirate Girl

Echo

Halycon

The Mission

Who is Jake Ellis

You are not the only one sick of all the speculation threads. We all know who is to blame for creating a new one each week.

:facepalm:

I think he's talking about more than that. Not just the speculation threads themselves, but it's everywhere in the modern section.

Stuff like flipping WD trading cards for profit or the expo B&W book in the WD thread for example. It does seem like it's more about values/speculation all over the modern section instead of conversations about the comics themselves.

Not saying I'm not guilty myself, but you can't put it on any one person. 2c

You are not the only one sick of all the speculation threads. We all know who is to blame for creating a new one each week.

I think he's talking about more than that. Not just the speculation threads themselves, but it's everywhere in the modern section.

Stuff like flipping WD trading cards for profit or the expo B&W book in the WD thread for example. It does seem like it's more about values/speculation all over the modern section instead of conversations about the comics themselves.

brendan has a personal thing against me. I'm sorry for all the time that every person who reads his complaints about me has wasted.

On the issue of speculation ... this is a CGC sponsored board referencing modern comics. Lets be honest, there is something inherently wrong with binding a comic in hard plastic that prevents you from readily opening it and enjoying it. I have my own personal conflict about slabbing moderns to begin with, but thats another conversation for a different thread and this has the makings of a great thread.

This could be a great thread, but ultimately its a self fullfilling prophecy -- good work generates collectible value unless the print run is huge.

Wrong.

I also don't think its fair to damb speculation if its reasonable. Unreasonable speculation is what destroyed the industry (the sports card industry, the stock market,etc.).

lol

There is nothing wrong with trying to make a little cash to cover the expenses we all incur as avid collectors.

Buy only what you can afford and enjoy reading and there shouldn't be a problem.

My recent modern reading.

Finished Terry Moore's ECHO. Exceptional. This is what comic storytelling is all about. His RACHEL RISING is next.

WHO IS JAKE ELLIS. Exceptional.

Re-read Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips CRIMINAL series (My favorite modern crime noir comic series) and the first arc of INCOGNITO. Only read the first issue of FATALE so far, but based on the strength of the previous series by these two, I have all the confidence in the world it'll be worth it.

SEVERED. Really enjoying this. I think JJ recommended it somewhere on here, so I checked it out. Really well done horror story so far that wouldn't have been out of place in a Warren magazine back in the day.

I'm a fan of Mike Allred, so I guess it makes sense that I like iZOMBIE, the Vertigo series he's doing with Chris Roberson. I'm only through 10 issues, but it's really fun stuff. The female Vampire gang, the Uncle's soul trapped in a monkey, the werewolf boy... And those are just the supporting characters...

If you missed THE SWORD by the Luna Brothers, you really missed out.

More later.

brendan has a personal thing against me. I'm sorry for all the time that every person who reads his complaints about me has wasted.

On the issue of speculation ... this is a CGC sponsored board referencing modern comics. Lets be honest, there is something inherently wrong with binding a comic in hard plastic that prevents you from readily opening it and enjoying it. I have my own personal conflict about slabbing moderns to begin with, but thats another conversation for a different thread and this has the makings of a great thread.

I'm confused. What's stopping you from opening it and reading the book?

My current favorite moderns that are not on some sort of hiatus are

Usagi Yojimbo (although it is on somewhat of a hiatus due to a side project, I still have an issue due to arrive the next time my comics ship)

Walking Dead

Blue Estate (I am LOVING this! It's on par with Stumptown for me, and I absolutely loved Stumptown)

American Vampire

Those are my top faves, I have others I follow and like. I would like to say Love And Rockets: New Stories is one of my favorites, but I'm not reading it. I'm buying it and putting it on the bookshelf with every intention to read it when I finally finish my Love And Rockets vol. 1 and 2 collections and read through them.

Finally a thread about books which are actually a joy to read rather than an easy profit.

I've no issue with quick-flipping. If people are daft enough to pay over the odds for a book which will be $ bin fodder in a couple of months - who are we not to take advantage?

As for pull lists, heres mine;

Uncanny X-Men

Wolverine and the X-Men

X-Men Legacy

Uncanny X-Force

Secret Avengers

Daredevil

Punisher

Captain America

Batman

Catwoman

Swamp Thing

Animal Man

The Walking Dead

Hellraiser (Surprised there is less mention of this book - fantastic story and art).

The Boys

Grimm Fairy Tales