• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "I Love Reading Moderns" No Matter Their Worth Thread!

139 posts in this topic

My current favorite moderns that are not on some sort of hiatus are

Usagi Yojimbo (although it is on somewhat of a hiatus due to a side project, I still have an issue due to arrive the next time my comics ship)

Walking Dead

Blue Estate (I am LOVING this! It's on par with Stumptown for me, and I absolutely loved Stumptown)

American Vampire

Those are my top faves, I have others I follow and like. I would like to say Love And Rockets: New Stories is one of my favorites, but I'm not reading it. I'm buying it and putting it on the bookshelf with every intention to read it when I finally finish my Love And Rockets vol. 1 and 2 collections and read through them.

I'm way behind on WALKING DEAD, and I really need to check out those new LOVE AND ROCKETS...

And I liked STUMPTOWN (Oni Press) and BLUE ESTATE also. Image really has attracted some great creators over the last few years, with that and MORNING GLORIES and some of the other books people have mentioned here.

Enjoyed HALCYON, all of the Jonathan Hickman series' (RED WING, NIGHTLY NEWS, PAX ROMANA, RED MASS FOR MARS - his new one MANHATTAN PROJECTS comes out Wednesday)...the Luna Brothers work (ULTRA, GIRLS, the SWORD).... man, Image is really putting out some good stuff!

It was awesome talking to writers and artists at Image Con. I was over stimulated with so many titels all Image focused. And yes, they've had some good stuff out this year. It's pretty exciting to see where it all goes. I'm thinking of the tons of new reads to check out that give me a break from the mainstream. I've left Marvel awhile back and still hang with DC, but Indies are sweet!

I keep passing Green Wake and Blue Estate. Going to pick these up as reads based on other boardies' recommendations. (thumbs u

currently enjoying the magic the gathering comic series i doubt that will ever be worth $$$ :D Its cool they come with cards you can use in the game though as well gives you a bit more bang for the buck ... :)

Well, nice to hear from you. I hope you get your request. I can't track everybody down on dial-up to see what they are up to and I'm too scared of Watercooler. Don't be a stranger.

Lobster Johnson. :cloud9:

I need to get caught up on my Hellboy/BPRD stuff. I hear it's leading up to some big things this year!

:gossip: He died in the story "The Fury," and is now in Hell. The entire year has been focused on this event.

:ohnoez:

Thanks Jerel for the great modern thread topic. I dont care about the value, I'm looking for a great read and great art. I'm happy with one of the two and thrilled if there's both.
You are welcome Annaka! ;)

Some great choices.

I've been reading $.50 copies Route 666 this morning and loving them. Great for Joe Hill fans.

Lobster Johnson. :cloud9:

I need to get caught up on my Hellboy/BPRD stuff. I hear it's leading up to some big things this year!

:gossip: He died in the story "The Fury," and is now in Hell. The entire year has been focused on this event.

:ohnoez:

:o

Mignola had been hinting at this for a little while now, including why the third movie wasn't being made at this time.

:cry:

123233.jpg.024c9ccbbe034a0e1c0f1c4b3769d32a.jpg

Usagi Yojimbo (although it is on somewhat of a hiatus due to a side project, I still have an issue due to arrive the next time my comics ship)

What is Sakai working on?

A non anthropomorphic comic about the 47 Ronin I think. It's been a few months since I read about it. When he's done Usagi will resume with what is supposed to be an epic story arc he's been wanting to do for decades, involving aliens :o

I have just started reading the Vertigo Crime OGN's. I think I have read four of them, and so far I don't think that many have came out so I imagine I'm about halfway done. I absolutely loved a few, and the rest were still enjoyable enough. I definitely plan on reading the rest, and then catching up on the ongoing Vertigo comics in the crime genre, starting with Scalped.

Finally a thread about books which are actually a joy to read rather than an easy profit.

I've no issue with quick-flipping. If people are daft enough to pay over the odds for a book which will be $ bin fodder in a couple of months - who are we not to take advantage?

As for pull lists, heres mine;

Uncanny X-Men

Wolverine and the X-Men

X-Men Legacy

Uncanny X-Force

Secret Avengers

Daredevil

Punisher

Captain America

Batman

Catwoman

Swamp Thing

Animal Man

The Walking Dead

Hellraiser (Surprised there is less mention of this book - fantastic story and art).

The Boys

Grimm Fairy Tales

Yes, I pick-up the every other Hellraiser, just on the strength of the first two issues. It's a terrific book no one's talking about. The Ghost Key appearance from Locke & Key originally sucked me in. lol

currently enjoying the magic the gathering comic series i doubt that will ever be worth $$$ :D Its cool they come with cards you can use in the game though as well gives you a bit more bang for the buck ... :)

Mike, if you are enjoying it, then I would say it's worth it. I love female detectives (Sparkle Hayter novels etc.), so other than Stumptown and Kinsey investigating a Keyhouse door, it's kind of limited in the comics. Picked up a bunch of Nancy Drew graphic novels at a discount store and BANG great reads. What's cool is, they are mine and they were just entertaining the :censored: out of me. There was no $$$ price tag, no worry about spinal stress, no 9.8 worry about grading just something I enjoyed reading at that time. If you got that from your MTG books, than (thumbs u .

Same thing happened with that Green River Killer graphic novel book I got in the mail. There was a thread (ComicDiva (worship) )on it and it was mainly focused on getting people interested in "reading" it, not "investing". That's the kind of stuff, I want to see in this section, people discussing funnybooks again. Building interest in the hobby, the art form and actual comicbooks. I don't care what the speculators, on-line sellers or whoever might say otherwise, we (the collectors in this community) are the stars and the books do not own us.

Believe that hype! :)

I consider myself a reader first definitely, although I do like to buy a hard to find comic here and there. The MAUS comics in my sig line cost me about $260 to compile, I could have bought a used TPB for $4 online somewhere. But I like them. I don't think of any of my comics as investments though, even though I recently made good money off one. I consider the money I spend on comics to be gone forever every time I buy one, so the comics I buy had better be good reads :sumo:

I really have enjoyed Mark Millar's work.

KICK and KICK 2 were really enjoyable; NEMESIS I probably like the least so far; but SUPERIOR was the absolute best.

I may have to read some of his Marvel stuff.

(Actually, I read his CIVIL WAR in tpb (one of the only event series I've ever started and finished) and I thought his OLD MAN LOGAN was great (and normally I'm not a fan at all of 'non-canon imaginary' stories).