• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "I Love Reading Moderns" No Matter Their Worth Thread!

139 posts in this topic

DSC04804Large.jpg

I really have been enjoying reading the Nancy Drew graphic novels from Papercutz. These might be only a $1 at the regional discount store Ocean State Job Lots, but these 96 pagers pack some great entertainment value regardless. They are written in the same edgy tone Mildred Wirt Benson (the first and best Nancy Drew ghostwriter) originally did, before her editor re-wrote her texts in the 60's. Highly recommended!

I've been buying these for my girlfriend's nieces, they love them. I'll have to give them a shot once we relocate near them.

Currently reading by the floppy (hehe):

Chew

Fatale

Winter Soldier (debating switching to trades)

Buddha (by Tezuka, not a floppy, just reading it actively at the moment)

When they come out:

Goon

Cursed Pirate Girl

By the trade:

Locke and Key

When I can buy a bunch of cheap ones and then fill in the holes (hehe):

X-Force

Deadpool

Want to catch up on:

huge run of Thor (starting partway into Simonson, going till current)

Hellboy/related

Peter David Hulk

Need to find the rest of:

Lone Wolf and Cub (are those digests still in print?)

Good thread!

OK.

I was totally bewitched with the new ongoing Courtney Crumrin #1.

I wasn't expecting a lot from a 'tween girl book. But, this Harry Potter meets Mean Girls was a surprisingly deep read about trusting your friends and why having secrets is dangerous.

This series has been around for a while in other forms...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtney_Crumrin

Which I'm sure I want to look into now. hm

Secret was enjoyable.

I think Hickman hit all cylinders on this first issue.

I dont know where the next issue is going, but he hooked me with the first one.

I couldn't agree more. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it. I think it stole this week in comics. It may have been my favorite book and it was an awesome week. Talk about an issue that leaves you guessing. I can't figure out who I should be rooting for or if I should be rooting for anyone. I'm increasingly happy with the solid number of non-superhero books on the shelves. I think the tyranny of the tights is coming to an end. There are very few super hero books that I read these days. I'm not going to stop reading Batman for any reason. Snyder's run has been awesome, but it's a short list after the bat books for me.

So for a few months now I have been toying with the idea of moving my pull list from Heavyink to the LCS. The things that I had reservations about were mostly the shop owner forgetting to order my comics. Well today I finally went down there with my list. As he reads through it he says "Fanta... Graphics? Never heard of that." this was regarding Love And Rockets: New Stories. I said it only comes out once a year and he said "Well, I'll keep an eye out for it." am I wrong in taking that as a not-so-reassuring sign of my comics actually being ordered for me? :eek:

So for a few months now I have been toying with the idea of moving my pull list from Heavyink to the LCS. The things that I had reservations about were mostly the shop owner forgetting to order my comics. Well today I finally went down there with my list. As he reads through it he says "Fanta... Graphics? Never heard of that." this was regarding Love And Rockets: New Stories. I said it only comes out once a year and he said "Well, I'll keep an eye out for it." am I wrong in taking that as a not-so-reassuring sign of my comics actually being ordered for me? :eek:

How are people like that in business? Fantagraphics put's out some amazing material. I would just test them out with a few titles. For anything that isn't a floopy I would just order from DCBS or Amazon anyways since your LCS can't really compete with their prices.

How are people like that in business? Fantagraphics put's out some amazing material. I would just test them out with a few titles. For anything that isn't a floopy I would just order from DCBS or Amazon anyways since your LCS can't really compete with their prices.

Yep. Bad sign. :(

Haven't heard of Fantagraphics? lol

Does the guy close the Diamond order catalog after the last Marvel listing?

I think I'll just not cancel my Heavyink subs until this guy actually fills them. I don't care about the discounts too much. I only have like ten subs and only one of them seems to be an actual "monthly" so even at 30% off I'd only save a few bucks a month. Opening the pull list will help this guy stay around a little and it gives me an excuse to go to the LCS once a month or so. :)

It's one of my favorite comics. I'm subscribed to New Stories but honestly haven't read a single one yet. I'm reading through Vol. 1 and came to a point where I'm missing a few issues so I stopped. I'm nearly 40 issues in now though.

Usagi Yojimbo (although it is on somewhat of a hiatus due to a side project, I still have an issue due to arrive the next time my comics ship)

What is Sakai working on?

A non anthropomorphic comic about the 47 Ronin I think. It's been a few months since I read about it. When he's done Usagi will resume with what is supposed to be an epic story arc he's been wanting to do for decades, involving aliens :o

I might have to jump back on Usagi for that then.