• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,558 posts in this topic

Anyone ever noticed how Weird Wonder Tales 21 has a cover price of 30 cents , but 25 cents on the indica?

my God man, you have way too much time on your hands!

Anyone ever noticed how Weird Wonder Tales 21 has a cover price of 30 cents , but 25 cents on the indica?

my God man, you have way too much time on your hands!

lol I finally finished going through all the boxes. No more Miracleman 15's. I've been pricing and grading while playing online poker. Its actually helped my game as I don't play anywhere near as many hands.

Now time to sell HOT books :baiting: How many boxes can I bring you in Charlotte?

Actually, there are a few issues which have some weirdness in the indicia, which makes you wonder about the printing schedule.

The most common is Iron Man 89. I've had several IM 89 30 cent variants with either 25 cents or 30 cents in the indicia. I always assumed that, since Iron Man was usually on the newstands the last week of every month, that it was one of the last books to be printed that month, and that they switched the indicia plates mid-way through the run.

I still get emails through my variant site with people asking about IM 89 and a few others which have odd indicias. Typically my response is that they aren't variants, but just the product of disorganized printing, and generally aren't rare. Others might disagree.

If you've ever looks at the original art your can see how this will happen easily (where all have the same messed up indicia.) Most of the time all of the indicia text is just pulled from another issue where it was glued on to begin with, then they just replace the issue number. I would bet the OA to WWT 21 has the indicia pasted up from a previous 25 cent issue.

FD,

Thanks for posting the information.

My conclusion is that the Overstreet editors are trying to accumulate a set and stocked up on Conan 30 center for trade bait.

I think I overheard Robert at a recent show, "I'll trade you one of my $50 Conans for one of your common Chamber of Chills, Mighty Marvel Western, Rawhide Kid, Ringo Kid, Sgt. Fury, Tomb of Darkness, Two-Gun Kid, or your Weird Wonder Tales 15 (27 bucks :o). You don't have any of those? OK. What the hey. How about any Daredevils? Ironman 89?..."

Seriously, it appears that with almost a 30% increase this year for the series, that Overstreet is starting to recognize the market, but they adjust prices slowly. Donut, they must be starting to listen to you.

Also, I am missing a couple of Kid Colts and will pay FULL Guide for NM copies. 206 and 207. Can anyone help me out?

Also, in regards to Marvel 30 cent variants, it is nice that Overstreet has priced every book in 9.2.

Here is the current list of 30 centers that have no examples certified in 9.2. Some excellent clues to rarity here, I think. Find one of these and it will go multiples of guide.

Avengers 14 (one in 9.0)

Captain Marvel 44 (one in 9.0)

Chamber of Chills 22 (two in 8.5)

Chamber of Chills 23 (three in 9.0)

Jungle Action 21 (one in 9.0)

Kid Colt Outlaw 205 (one in 9.0)

Kid Colt Outlaw 206 (one in 9.0)

Kid Colt Outlaw 207 (one in 8.5)

Kid Colt Outlaw 208 (one in 9.0)

Kid Colt Outlaw 209 (two in 8.5)

Marvel Adventures 3 (one in 8.5)

Marvel Adventues 4 (one in 8.0)!!!!

Marvel Double Feature 17 (one in 8.0)!!!!

Marvel Super-Heroes 57 (two in 8.5)

Marvel Super-Heroes 58 (one in 9.0)

Marvel Tales 66 (one in 7.0)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marvel Tales 69 (one in 9.0)

Mighty Marvel Western 45 (one in 9.0)

Rawhide Kid 133 (one in 9.0)

Rawhide Kid 134 (one in 7.5)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ringo Kid 28 (two in 8.0)

Tomb of Darkness 21 (one in 8.5)

Tomb of Dracula 44 (four in 9.0)

Two-Gun Kid 130 (two in 8.0)

Two-Gun Kid 131 (one in 7.0)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weird Wonder Tales 15 (one in 7.5) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and I would buy 9.2s all day for $27.) Actually, if anyone has a 1.0, I will buy it for $27.

By the way, if you want additional information on variants, stlcomics.com is a great site.

Pardon the interruption but was wondering if the Gold Key price variants have any rarity. In a lot of Tarzans I bought there were 3 copies of the 12 cent version of Tarzan 177 and the one copy of the 15 cent version. This was just at the 12 cent to 15 cent change over dated July 1968 There were no other differences as far as I can tell.

Ebay stores show two 15 centers, one of which is a Mile High stock image. The rest (about 15 others) are 12 cent covers. Comics.org only has the 12 cent cover.

Thanks for the help.

scan0001-3.jpg

scan0002-1.jpg

Those Gold Keys might be Canadian editions. As to the 30 cent variants... as Craig said those prices are still off but they are changing in the right direction even if at a snails pace. Overstreet still uses the dynamics for regular issues on the variants which is of course very different. The price for Marvel Spotlight #28 is more based on the early Moon Knight appearance than its rarity which 30 cent completists generally do not give a hoot about and there is not enough Moon Knight completists to make this a must have for a huge pool of collectors unlike some X-Men and Spider-Man for example.

There are probably more examples of 9.2s than you might think as many of us have not CGCed all our high grade stuff. I know FD, SilverandBronze, Shieldagent and myself have many high grade examples that are still raw. Besides the COC #22 I have which is an easy 9.2 and probably 9.4 I have a raw Marvel Chillers #4 which is just perfect... 9.8 candidate. I also have an Invaders #7, MGC #64, Black Goliath #2, Cap #196, Hulk #198 and a few dozen more that are around 9.2 or better. However, some of the rarer variants are very scarce in high grade and I know of no one who has a TGK #131 above Fine. Thanks again for the update FD!

Also, in regards to Marvel 30 cent variants, it is nice that Overstreet has priced every book in 9.2.

Here is the current list of 30 centers that have no examples certified in 9.2. Some excellent clues to rarity here, I think. Find one of these and it will go multiples of guide.

Avengers 14 (one in 9.0)

Weird Wonder Tales 15 (one in 7.5) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and I would buy 9.2s all day for $27.) Actually, if anyone has a 1.0, I will buy it for $27.

By the way, if you want additional information on variants, stlcomics.com is a great site.

Just as an FYI... I keep an updated list of the top grades for Marvel 30- and 35-cent variants on my site.

(thumbs u

http://www.gregholland.com/cgc/HighestMarvelPriceVariants.txt

Hey Donut!

It looks like you're under-calculating the 2007-2008 price increases.

From $225 to $250 is a $25 dollar change, but it's an increase of 11%. (Not 10%).

$225 was the old price, you have to +11% to get to $250.

Similarly, you have from $30 to $40 as a +25% increase. It would be +33%.

($10 increase, $30 starting point = 10/30).

Avengers 14 (one in 9.0)

Just as an FYI... I keep an updated list of the top grades for Marvel 30- and 35-cent variants on my site.

(thumbs u

http://www.gregholland.com/cgc/HighestMarvelPriceVariants.txt

Thanks for the handy list VM... the only error I saw was that you have any entry for Amazing Adventures #35 maybe it was CGC that messed up but there is no 30 cent variant for that issue.

Thanks for the handy list VM... the only error I saw was that you have any entry for Amazing Adventures #35 maybe it was CGC that messed up but there is no 30 cent variant for that issue.

Yep. That one is on the CGC census.

http://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?ComicID=73610

Looks like it showed up in the Jan. 2008 update. hm

I've taken it off my text file.