• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,558 posts in this topic

Here is a comic of Marvel Premiere 9 from 1973 with the Mark Jewlers insert. As you can see the cover is not the normal cover and I was wondering if any of you on the PVC knew about this kind of version or variant etc. At first I thought this was a coverless book but what is shown is cover stock paper and there is no indication of a cover torn off. This came in a collection of 70's books and is original.

Thoughts are much appreciated as well as estimate of value if any.

Ed

mp8.jpg

The cover has been ripped off...

It's the Mennon wrap insert that was in all Marvels cover dated Oct 1973 sent to overseas military exchanges. These were placed behind the covers...

Usually see these with the Mark Jewelers insert pulled out...not the cover...(shrug)

Jim

but when i received it, it was there , damn! makepoint.gif

Take a look at the comic, it is in the middle of the bottom three, would you have taken the chance? It was a seller from one of the variant marketsk and i did contact the seller and try to get more information from him , but recieved no response or even a better picture, he was a dealer from one of the 35 cent areas.

by the by , I do have 4 35 cent price variants up on ebay currently, check them out:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQsassZcomichunters

767772-tarzan7variant.jpg

frown.gif It sure looks like their is no issue number in that picture wonder if it was tampered with or just didn't show up 893scratchchin-thumb.gif .

crazy.gifIf I had seen that auction and by some amazing chance noiticed that the issue number was missing on that comic I would have bid on it to.

Did he have any 35 centers ? grin.gif

I'd appreciate any input on this book. It does not appear to be faded but I would like opinions. I know red is the first to go in sunlight but it looks to even if you ask me. Here is front and back. This has not been color enhanced at all by my computer. Here's a link to other Gorgo's from the era, but no #12.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74&item=6521471744&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

If a front cover has a missing color scheme does the back cover get affected as well?

scan0005.jpgscan0007.jpg

If a front cover has a missing color scheme does the back cover get affected as well?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif NO but I not by any means a expert on this to my understanding the front and back covers are printed all at once on the same sheet of paper along with the front and back of 8 other comics. But each Cover, back and inside adds all have seprate printing plates so their could be a printing error to one without it effecting the other but It would be cool to see another copy to compare it to. grin.gif If you want some great info on this check out this thread link and maybe post your comic their DiceX & povertyrow hail.gifhail.gif knows the answers to all this kind of stuff and it is a great read. thumbsup2.gif

Edited by cosmic-spider-man

I'd appreciate any input on this book. It does not appear to be faded but I would like opinions. I know red is the first to go in sunlight but it looks to even if you ask me. Here is front and back. This has not been color enhanced at all by my computer. Here's a link to other Gorgo's from the era, but no #12.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74&item=6521471744&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

scan0005.jpgscan0007.jpg

On a press run the density of inks can be varied on relatively narrow areas. There are - man am thinking back over 20 years now - "jets" or whatever you want to call them, that distribute inks along the width of the plate (Dice - help me out here!). These can be increased or decreased and are on each color plate, so Yellow, Magenta, Cyan and Black plates can be controlled as to the amount of ink over narrow areas.

But to be a bit less granular - if you are concerned that the front of the book has reds that are less deep than the back? I submit that the book may well have been displayed in sufficient light to make the front cover fade (as it would be facing the light) and the back cover would not be subject to such light. I mean - who would display the back cpver when the front cover says much more! smile.gif

no, no 35 centers , I was really hoping to not to see the seven on it, but there it was, asked him for a better picture, but he would not give it to me. buyer beware!

you win some you lose some.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Congrats on the TOD #20 hidden 30 cent variant. I saw it too late and underbid. Let us know what condition its in. You won that one! thumbsup2.gif

TOD variant

it always pays to look carefully at these auctions! hope it is in good shape, one of these days, i will have to get some of these variants graded. I hate though to wait 3 months to get these comics back. The current 35 cent variants i have up for bidding , should probably be graded. A few years ago , i sold a few John Carter variants that were in perfect shape near mint all the way. One of you guys probably got them graded, can anyone tell me what they came back from CGC as? confused-smiley-013.gif

i sold a few John Carter variants that were in perfect shape near mint all the way. One of you guys probably got them graded, can anyone tell me what they came back from CGC as?

hi.gif Hi; Frank I may have a couple of those I got some john Carters from MGD5 "I think that was his ebay name" and I think he won them on ebay just a few months eairler maybe from you confused-smiley-013.gif but if those were the ones they have not been graded but they were very nice probably VF+. Shame about that Tarzan #7 frown.gif.

Never realized I would cause such a stir. 893applaud-thumb.gif It was mine I found it and I was gonna get it no matter how much the bid went to as long as it wasnt over $1.51 which was all I bid. In this case I just wanted a copy I can always upgrade later.

Man I remember the days when I used to find books and nobody else would know or bid. gossip.gif

BTW anyone else every notice the disrespect 35 centers get over the 30 cent X-men books in OS. I mean I can understand the 106 being undervalued.

( poke2.gif-----> ShieldAgent), 98 and 99 arent keys and youd think from the guide they are harder to find. Will be traveling to Nashville next month for a wedding wish me luck looking yay.gif

Edited by Fastballspecial