• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,554 posts in this topic

I found a 30 cent Hulk 202 for $15... did I do good? I don't collect price varients but I collect Hulk so I said what the hell... I had seen a 35 cent Hulk 213 at a convention but they wanted something around $100 for it so I passed.

gossip.gif

So the seller in Florida who found 150 35 centers did not/does not have any Hulks. 893whatthe.gif

I found a 30 cent Hulk 202 for $15... did I do good? I don't collect price varients but I collect Hulk so I said what the hell... I had seen a 35 cent Hulk 213 at a convention but they wanted something around $100 for it so I passed.

gossip.gif

So the seller in Florida who found 150 35 centers did not/does not have any Hulks. 893whatthe.gif

That's too bad. I have one though...... devil.gif

K

whoa some guy paid $220.00 for a reprint of Star Wars issue 1? that really is not that rare , i think?

35 cent price in white diamond? he should have went to this site:

seems like he should have done a bit more research?

frank makepoint.gif

Hi; Frank

grin.gif yea I see auctions all the time for Star Wars 35 cent variants that turn out to be those reprints no suprise most people just see the listing in Overstreet and think they have the variant. That happened to me back in the 80's I had seen that the 35 cent Star Wars #1 was very high in the price guide and I found one of those reprints at a flea market and for the longest time I thought I had the 35 cent variant I even told a few of my comic collecting friends I had one only to find out later I had a reprint frown.gif but I had no way on knowing at the time.So I can't really say any thing about other's listing them as 35 cent variants they just don't know I guess. confused-smiley-013.gif

smile.gif Frank did you ever get that Tarzan #7 with no issue number? could we see it?

the guy is going to get the comic, he spent $220.00 on and find the word "reprint". he is not going to be too happy. the buyer has a high rating of 665, but he doesn't know this is a reprint? strange. screwy.gif

i am still waiting for that Tarzan 7 to come in. i will post it here as soon as i get it 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

looks like my WWT 15 variant has cooled since the reserve was met by bonas, but i expect some heavy sniping headbang.gif

frank

the guy is going to get the comic, he spent $220.00 on and find the word "reprint". he is not going to be too happy. the buyer has a high rating of 665, but he doesn't know this is a reprint? strange. screwy.gif

i am still waiting for that Tarzan 7 to come in. i will post it here as soon as i get it 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

looks like my WWT 15 variant has cooled since the reserve was met by bonas, but i expect some heavy sniping headbang.gif

frank

No offense, Frank, but I bet there will be no snipes. Truthfully, I am surprised that the reserve was met. Bonas bid on two of the 35 cent variant westerns that were up last month, and neither got that high.

This book is similar to westerns. It is rare, and it is a reprint book of a dead title. The difference with this one though, is that I have had two of them, so has Darthdiesel. I thought at one time that 4Gemworks had a duplicate in hand. Everyone I know that is trying to complete the run has one with the exception of Bonas. (he needs four others too, but I am not telling gossip.gif)

I got hammered before saying that I would buy a western variant before buying an Iron Fist variant........ This book falls into the same category. Though very rare, there is not the demand for it like for an ASM or Iron Fist 14.

I think your right as I have it as a 4 on my list also. It is definitely not a 5. I know someone who has 8 or 9 copies of this variant and all 30 cent variant completists that I know about have copies.

I think your right as I have it as a 4 on my list also. It is definitely not a 5. I know someone who has 8 or 9 copies of this variant and all 30 cent variant completists that I know about have copies.

Minding that Paul was way out in front of this, I don't think any of the superhero books should be 5s. Only the westerns and the reprint books.

Minding that Paul was way out in front of this, I don't think any of the superhero books should be 5s. Only the westerns and the reprint books.

I agree Dan, and the only thing 5'ish about the X-men variants are the price!

Paul created that list way back in the day. Lots of stuff has changed since then.

Specifically regarding X-Men #100 -- I've owned 3 copies and I have seen another 5 or 6 others. It was just harder to come by back when we first started hunting these things down.

with the xmen variants, they are not rare but are pricey because even non-variant collectors chase after them, but these are hoarded by a few people I can think of, including myself. If you ever take note of xmen variant bid histories on ebay, it's usually the same people fighting for the x-variant.

with the xmen variants, they are not rare but are pricey because even non-variant collectors chase after them, but these are hoarded by a few people I can think of, including myself. If you ever take note of xmen variant bid histories on ebay, it's usually the same people fighting for the x-variant.

careful--the next thing you know Marvel will have a new title out next month called

"x-variant" and it will be your fault

I agree I know several buyers who wont touch any variants unless its an X-men one. I myself wouldnt have got into this variant madness hunt except for that fact a few years back I was completing my X-men run. The bug caught and I cant get rid of it.

Its funny we talk about rarity of these books as if its easy to find any and its not. Even talk of a Common variant really gets a laugh from me as I realize yes it is a common variant, but in the scheme of things its still rare.(Let the normal comic collector try to wrap around that one.)

My local shop has been in business for about 10 years and the only copies he has ever seen of either 30 or 35 cent copies have been mine. I do agree with Donut though above that only 5s should be Horror and Westerns though the site does point out some strange issues like the Iron Man one being harder to find.

thumbsup2.gif Hi Fastball you sound alot like me the first time I saw those price variants and how much they went for I thought it was crazy and I would never buy any of those. But a few years back I finally completed my ASM collection and I lucked up 893scratchchin-thumb.gif and found a few ASM variants in hidden auctions and won them cheep. So then I had to have the rest of the ASM ones and then I found a few more and a few more and then I had a hole bunch and I was hooked and spent way to much time looking for these.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifThe whole time I have been collecting these I have wondered just how rare are these comics and to this day no one knows or is talking. But I have my ideals on the subject and based on the distribution marks and that letter that flyingdonut posted on hear a while back it is fairly sure that these variants were only sold by 5 or 6 distributers and their was suposed to be something like 500 distributers back in the late 70's "not sure this is excately true" so that would mean that the numbers of variants should be something like 1% of the total print run so if this is ture all the price variants are very, very Rare compared to the normal verisions. But even at 1% some variants could have hade several thousand copys printed and some may only had several 100 and figuring that alot of them probably got destroyed some issues could be extreamely rare maybe less than 100 copys. Does anyone know if the comic factory had a limit to how few copys it would print before they would stop to change plates?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Well all this is just speculation and could be totaly wrong, I would love to hear others thoughts on this. I read some where that the UK price variants were something like 2-5% of the print run so they are very rare wonder what % the direct market issues made up?

Yes Spider I have soaked up all the information on these boards and others the last few years. I still rely on a list for the obscure books as I only memorize the ones I am looking for.

Basically you would need to find someone who worked in Comic book distribution in the 70s. I think the guy that owns Mile High Comics in Denver would know who to get in touch with as he seems to know everything. Ever read his Tales from the Database? Just reading his 2 Mile High Collection finds is chilling.

I see some great homework done on here, but again you would need a source to confirm it all. One of these days when my kids get a little older Ill get on that. As it now I just find them for fun and the challenge. Nothing sweeter then paying a few dollars for a book worth $100 or so in good grade sometimes. My goal one of these days is to reach someone who worked at one of those distribution sites just to get factual information. Your print run information makes sense. It just funny how we all talk about a common rare versus a really rare like a Western or Horror. Its almost an oxymoron.:o)

cool.gif Yes Fastball I read those Tales of the Database on the Mile High sight a while back link I think that may be where I read their were something like 500 indepentent distributors back in the late 70's I will have to read it again sometime before long that guy can sure tell a good story very interesting stuff. I would say you could be right if anyone would knows who has production info on these variants it could be him 893scratchchin-thumb.gif.