• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

I think that across the board, prices for 30 cent variants are down right now to an affordable level.

Sales prices of the 35 cent variants have been drawing more and more out into the open. At times there have been more 35 cent variants listed on Ebay than 30 cent variants.

So my questions for discussion are as follows:

Do you think that prices are low right now for 30 cent variants?

If so, is it because of an extreemly small market for a full run?

Given the demand, are these not so rare?

And, is this a trend that will move to the 35 cent variant market? Once Cosmic, Bonas, Daffy, 4Gemworks and youknowwhy, get theirs, will the prices correct dramatically for mid grade copies?

None of the rules apply to slabbed HG, westerns or double covers.....

I am interested in the boards thoughts.

Harry

I hope 35-centers drop, as I need to fill a few Byrne holes. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

One thing is for sure, 35-cent variants are exponentially rarer than 30-centers, and I think it's just supply and demand at work.

I have 30-centers I'd love to sell, but at current prices, they're staying put. On the other hand, I have sold 35-centers and will probably continue to do so until the time prices drop. It's the old "worth more in the collection" thing going on.

JC--right now I believe that the 35 centers are percieved to be exponentially more rare than 30 centers.

Though I agree that they are more rare, what degree, will still be determined. Crazy prices realized will bring more and more out. I think then the prices will drop as with the common superhero 30 cent books as 1) those who need a copy get theirs, 2) there are less people willing to pay crazy prices to fill in runs (not collecting all variants)

JC--right now I believe that the 35 centers are percieved to be exponentially more rare than 30 centers.

Trust me, it's a reality. I've been searching for variants since I was first on EBay, and the numbers aren't even close.

I don't think that question is even open for debate, but what remains to be seen is exactly how rare 30 and 35-cent variants are in general.

I also believe that prices are low on 30 cent variants and even some 35 cent variants have sold between $20 and $30 recently. I recently sold my 35 cent variants to Terry (Cosmic-Spider-Man) but I am in the market for a 30 cent variant set or near set. Even though prices are low I just don't have the patience to go one by one but I can handle having to track down a few dozen or so. However, I doubt anybody will sell me one for a reasonable price. 893frustrated.gif

However, I doubt anybody will sell me one for a reasonable price. 893frustrated.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Check with board member realitytrip via PM ...don't know if you would consider it to be a near set, but he may be able to help.

Only time will tell how the prices will go on 35 centers. I've been tracking them since late 2002 and yes 30 cent prices are down for mid- and low grade "commons" and prices are down on some low grade 35 centers as well but still over $20; the surprising figures as of late are the $200+ on certain copies that I thought Glenn, Terry, Derek and Sandro ALL had in high grade already; so I was taken by surprise a bit on high recent ending prices...just when you thought it was safe to start collecting 35 centers smile.gif

As for the double cover 35 center, it WILL NOT BE split up to be resold as two...

IMO, 35 centers like Ms Marvel, John Carter WOM, Eternals, Invaders, HOward the Duck are probably going to be the ones to dip in price first. They are fairly common and most of the big boys probably already have high grade copies, so unless they are hoarding (even if they are, there comes a price point where it's no longer worth hoarding at) wink.gif

Rarity is a important factor, as is demand.

I have a warped perspective I guess, but will try to explain. We all agree that western variants are rare, but really--who wants them? If you were an actual Kid Colt collector, would you consider spending crazy money on a reprint bronze western so you could have them all? I think most collectors would not. That leaves the people that could care less what the title is, but want it because it is a 30 or 35 cent variant. I think that these people are few and far between.

If only 10 issues of a variant actually exist in the world, and only 5 guys need it, how much are the other 5 worth? Exponentionally less than the first 5. A real life example is this: Every variant collector I know has a copy of Kid Colt 209. This book is very rare as a 30 cent variant. But now, another copy is practically worthless to me--as I do not need another one.

Of course upgrades and actual HOARDERS laugh.gif change the game a little.

IMO, 35 centers like Ms Marvel, John Carter WOM, Eternals, Invaders, HOward the Duck are probably going to be the ones to dip in price first. They are fairly common and most of the big boys probably already have high grade copies, so unless they are hoarding (even if they are, there comes a price point where it's no longer worth hoarding at) wink.gif

I agree with this. I also think that this is just the start.

However, I doubt anybody will sell me one for a reasonable price. 893frustrated.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Check with board member realitytrip via PM ...don't know if you would consider it to be a near set, but he may be able to help.

Thanks Carl, I will contact him to see what he has. BTW, did you ever get the last one you need?

Thanks Carl, I will contact him to see what he has. BTW, did you ever get the last one you need?

No, I guess my $250/$750 bounty was not good enuff? It's cool as I'll eventually make the road trip and find one? Or make the right connection to an ebay seller/buyer in the right city and work it out? thumbsup2.gif

And if you really are looking to start the 30 cent set, now is a good time... you've got plenty of board members that have dupes for sale, and I've been auctioning mine off at giveaway prices compared to what I paid for 'em foreheadslap.gif

Why do I foresee the new owner suddenly selling a single cover version of this one (and getting a single cover CGC 9.2 out of the deal as well)?

That won't happen.

Don't you understand man? This is a variant of a variant, therefore it is virtually priceless. tongue.gif

I get it, but isn't it really an error of a variant? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif