• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

Pretty interesting site I seem to have stumbled upon. I'm sure I've spoken with some of you in the last few weeks.

If anyone cares. And I suppose they might as this is Price Variant Club. The 200+ I found came out of a warehouse collection in Toledo Ohio. It is my opinion

that several of these books were never sold. But, they were also stored without bags and boards. Only high grade issues were found in boxes that were stuffed. Still a bunch of old Capital City boxes to go through but its mostly stuff from early 80s and nothing from 77 yet. It would be nice to find a whole box of Kid Colts, but then only the first 5 would be worth anything.

So I guess this should not take away from the scarcity of 35 centers as these are a very special case and have been sitting around for at least 15 years.

On another note I would like to know why I found 7 price variants in 1 shop in Biloxi, MS I'm guessing the air force base could have brought them in from anywhere, because it wasn't one of the test cities? Does anyone know all the test cities? I've heard Toledo, Memphis, and Wilmington NC?

Sorry for watering down the market on these!!!! Only have another 150 or so to go!!!!

I believe that another test market was in the Huntsville, AL area, so that would go to the Biloxi find. Pascagoula, MS has been mentioned as one as well. Welcome to the boards -

btw, I've seen the list finecomics has. An AMAZING find of 35 centers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2260568166&category=32769

I really really really really want the Dr. Strange book, but the 4 other books I don't need, and cosmicspiderman will kick my butt on any bid I could make. I sent him an eBay message and offered to buy the Doc comic for $250 if he wins...

This goes for any of you 35¢ variant people out there... if you have the Dr. Strange #23 or 24 variant, I'll give you $250 each if the condition is VG or better.

Yes, 35¢ variant collectors are completely insane. insane.gif

I believe that another test market was in the Huntsville, AL area, so that would go to the Biloxi find. Pascagoula, MS has been mentioned as one as well. Welcome to the boards -

btw, I've seen the list finecomics has. An AMAZING find of 35 centers.

Thank-You

That list is actually out of date. We have found another 50 or so to add. I'm working on a new list right now. I have to go out of town for a few weeks for work so I'm turning these over to...... (not sure if you can plug auctions or not) but do a search on nova 10 if you get bored.

For those of you I have talked to (you know who you are) I really have enjoyed learning about this abstract portion of our hobby. You have completely transformed a spidey nut into a variant hunter. I have thought several times of leaving my life and hitting the road with these. (OK maybe not that far, but I check the bids on ebay way too much) I seriously think they have some sort of mystic power that instills greed in even the most laid back person.

I probably will linger around the boards to see what happens with these. Good luck to those who want to complete the set. I'll try to find a Kid 219 for you!!!

Welcome to the boards!

Did you find enough to come close to a full set? Any duplicates of the harder to find 35 centers. like the westerns and scooby-Doo/Flintstones?

Thank-You

From what I have learned there are about 184? of these. We found a little over 200, but not really close to the set. A lot of dupes, esp FF's, Howard the duck's, and others.

I've been a part-time dealer for the last 4 years and I have never seen a copy of Scooby Doo variant or not. I have see a flintstones regular cover. Of course I never really get asked for either. But no, neither of those were in the collection. Just the Kid 218, which was stuck in a box of archies and gold keys. I thought that was kind of strange. Almost like somebody put it there on purpose.

I'm not sure how secretive this club is 893scratchchin-thumb.gif, but.....is there a list of all of the .30 and .35 variant issues? If so, would someone post it or pm me?

I am going to a local show this weekend and will try to look for some.

Not secretive at all, so welcome to the club and 893crossfingers-thumb.gif on the con finds. Being a former associate of lighthouse, I'm surprised he didn't fill you in on these, as he has collected and sold a couple hundred in his time. I'm glad to see more variant collectors come in on here and several new attempts at the whole collection being made by forumites.

I was approached by ebay id manofmetal for Iron man 30 centers and would welcome any of you who may have dupes to offer him to feel free and contact him or me. I think he'd be pretty interested in sharing on here how he accumulated his entire Iron Man collection including Tales of Suspense....

Working with Lighthouse, I have seen a lot of very nice variants. The problem is that I never took the time to write all of them down in order to compile a list. frown.gif

I haven't decided whether I want to try to collect these, but as long as I'm out there looking for stuff.....I might as well look for these too.

THIS IS NOT A 30 CENT VARIANT - DESPITE THE CGC LABEL NOTATION foreheadslap.gif

THERE IS ALSO AN INHUMANS 5 and AN INVADERS 8 ERRONEOUSLY LABELLED "30 CENT VARIANT" SLABBED COPIES FLOATNG AROUND:

KAZAR 16, TOP CENSUS BUT NOT A 30 CENT VARIANT

Ask yourself if you've ever seen a 25 cent cover for the 3 books mentioned above 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Star wars 1 variant

I can't make up my mind. If it is truly a VF then it is a steal. there are just so many doubts keeping me from hitting that BIN...it's been up for days...maybe all the buyers are in Chicago? Anyone have thoughts or prior dealings with this seller?

Doesn't look like a VF to me, check out the bottom right color breaking crease. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Great find on that X-Men 106 Darth I missed that one sleeping.gif I have been reading post hear for a while but this is my first post not sure if I can contribute much useful information but I hope I will be of some value. Also just wanted to know if I could join the price variant club? hi.gif