• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions of Wizard World Texas?

27 posts in this topic

I am trying to figure out my post-SD show schedule, and a couple friends of mine were telling me I really needed to do the WW Texas show in November... I think that's mostly so I will go out and party with them, or give them exhibitor badges, but who knows...

Anybody go to the show last year? Attendee or dealer? Dallas had been without a show for several years since the Dallas Fantasy Fair went under, and Wizard reports they had 9000+ attendees for the first year, which is huge for a new show. Presumably this year should be better, and the booth spaces are frankly pretty cheap... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks in advance...

'House

Yes. You should go.

If not so you will go out and party with me, and give me an exhibitor badge.

But because you will go out and party with me, and give me an exhibitor badge.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Seriously. I didn't get to go last year, but I'm hoping to this year.

So bring exhibitor badges. gossip.gif

Do Baltimore 9/11-12.

Not sure I could justify dragging 3,000 lbs of stuff quite that far... although the way things look now, I will probably be shipping my stuff to Dallas if I do the show... works out to be substantially cheaper than driving it... I may even do that for San Diego. It doesn't save me any money for SD, but it does save me 2600 miles of driving... confused-smiley-013.gif

Got a link for the Baltimore show?

Do Baltimore 9/11-12.

Not sure I could justify dragging 3,000 lbs of stuff quite that far... although the way things look now, I will probably be shipping my stuff to Dallas if I do the show... works out to be substantially cheaper than driving it... I may even do that for San Diego. It doesn't save me any money for SD, but it does save me 2600 miles of driving... confused-smiley-013.gif

Baltimore Comicon. Best comic show in the United States. Tremendous guest list, run by good guys (staffed by me!). Plus I have Yankees-Orioles tickets for that night, AND Baltimore has the best strip clubs between New York and Atlanta. Or so I've been told.

Pick me up on your way.

If I were driving through I might very well... But it looks right now like it would be better for me to ship my stuff there and fly in separately... confused-smiley-013.gif

Plus... your town is scary... All that adobe gets a little frightening after a while... I still haven't fully recovered from the site of an all-adobe Wal-Mart... foreheadslap.gif

Do Baltimore 9/11-12.

Baltimore Comicon. Best comic show in the United States. Tremendous guest list, run by good guys (staffed by me!). Plus I have Yankees-Orioles tickets for that night, AND Baltimore has the best strip clubs between New York and Atlanta. Or so I've been told.

Grrr... none of the info I was looking for is there...

What's a booth space run? And do you have an idea of the head count?

That is a nice guest list... and it might be nice to visit the strip clubs baseball game. tongue.gif

Do Baltimore 9/11-12.

Grrr... none of the info I was looking for is there...

What's a booth space run? And do you have an idea of the head count?

That is a nice guest list... and it might be nice to visit the strip clubs baseball game. tongue.gif

I don't know the cost of booth space. I did it a couple of times when it was at the smaller location and it was $125. Head count was pretty high last year, especially given that it was the Saturday after the hurricane. Contact cardscomicscollectibles@yahoo.com (Marc Nathan) for info - I'll be seing him tomorrow.

Wizard World Texas last year was a pretty slow start for a "Wizard"convention I didnt hear from one dealer that did really well and the 50% off signs were out by Saturday on many booths so I did hear tons of griping. 9,000 people is not that many with the amount of dealers you will be selling against. The dealer hall was quite small size wise and it still never really got crowded at any point during the three days. Friday was slow, Saturday was decent, Sunday I packed and shipped my stuff home 2 hours before the show was over (thats how slow it was) You would think people would have been starving for a show that size since the Fantasy Fair hasnt been there in a very long time but they just didnt turn up in huge numbers and even the decent crowd on Saturday was mostly people killing an afternoon by walking arouund in circles. Texas seems to be a tough area to make money at cons which I havent figured out since the area the show is in features packed upscale restaurants, new cars and new housing. I'm sure this year should be better but still its not a sure thing. If you're going to spend the booth fees and pay to freight your stuff you would be better off doing their Chicago show in August. I havent done Baltimore so I cant comment on it but I am cosnidering doing that one this year to check it out. If you do try it best of luck hope you mkake a bundle, Chet

Wizard World Texas last year was a pretty slow start for a "Wizard"convention I didnt hear from one dealer that did really well and the 50% off signs were out by Saturday on many booths so I did hear tons of griping. 9,000 people is not that many with the amount of dealers you will be selling against. The dealer hall was quite small size wise and it still never really got crowded at any point during the three days. Friday was slow, Saturday was decent, Sunday I packed and shipped my stuff home 2 hours before the show was over (thats how slow it was) You would think people would have been starving for a show that size since the Fantasy Fair hasnt been there in a very long time but they just didnt turn up in huge numbers and even the decent crowd on Saturday was mostly people killing an afternoon by walking arouund in circles. Texas seems to be a tough area to make money at cons which I havent figured out since the area the show is in features packed upscale restaurants, new cars and new housing. I'm sure this year should be better but still its not a sure thing. If you're going to spend the booth fees and pay to freight your stuff you would be better off doing their Chicago show in August. I havent done Baltimore so I cant comment on it but I am cosnidering doing that one this year to check it out. If you do try it best of luck hope you mkake a bundle, Chet

Thanks for the info...

Chicago is out for me this year. I have prior commitments wrapped around that time, and I don't know that I could deal with doing SD and Chicago back to back at this point. Originally I was planning to just not do any shows after SD other than the local ones, but given that the WW Texas booths are substantially cheaper than WonderCon was, for the same head count, I am kicking it around...

And since my 50% off signs go up from the moment the show opens, it doesn't bother me if the crowds are all bargain hunters... tongue.gif

But I think if I am going to do the Texas show, I'd have to do a 30' booth. I don't think I can justify the trip unless I bring a couple tons of stuff with me (literally).

The Fantasy Fairs used to do really, really well. And the Austin Collectors Expo has been the best show in the state since then, and that really isn't saying much. So I have to believe that if Wizard continues to support it and promote it, they can do very well there. Just don't know if it's worth the trip this year. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif