• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The next big hobby is..

92 posts in this topic

I've been working on The Market over on my website and it seems to be going very well. Everyone seems generally excited about the information and presentation. So a thought occurred to me; why limit this to just comics? What is the next hobby that could benefit from information gleamed from eBay's api? Would card collectors care? Would it be toy collectors? What the next biggest hobby after comics that could possibly use this information? Any thoughts? hm

I've been working on The Market over on my website and it seems to be going very well. Everyone seems generally excited about the information and presentation. So a thought occurred to me; why limit this to just comics? What is the next hobby that could benefit from information gleamed from eBay's api? Would card collectors care? Would it be toy collectors? What the next biggest hobby after comics that could possibly use this information? Any thoughts? hm

Video Games

When the internet is replaced people will wax nostalgic about old forum posts.

Video Games

Oh poop! That's an excellent idea Ares! :applause: Thanks for the idea. I think that's the one I'm going to do next. hm

Video games. Definetly . Read an article recently about how its getting huge. I go to flea markets alot and I see folks searching for old video games. Soem Ir ead are selling for 10's of thousands of dollars.

Video games are the next big collectible (Cards-Comics-Coins etc) .

Video Games

Absolutely the very best answer.

Video games. Definetly . Read an article recently about how its getting huge. I go to flea markets alot and I see folks searching for old video games. Some I read are selling for 10's of thousands of dollars.

Its looking that way. There's certainly more 5 and 10k sales all the time. This past week,

A newly discovered Neo Geo game sold for a reported 30k+ a week (?) or so, and a super mario bros, of all things, not even sealed, of all things, sold for 7500 yesterday - strong result for sure. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Super-Mario-Bros-Hangtab-First-Print-Gold-VGA-Q90-Nintendo-NES-/220968206106?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3372bb3f1a

It IS the very first version and it is in great shape, but not even sealed??? wow. The seller has already confirmed the buyer as being legit and payment as being received.

Video Games

+1 I love the old classic games but will probably never buy em sealed and graded just cause I only want to play them... And i'm sure I will regret that in 10 years.

Video games. Definetly . Read an article recently about how its getting huge. I go to flea markets alot and I see folks searching for old video games. Soem Ir ead are selling for 10's of thousands of dollars.

Whenever I go to flea markets and garage sales, the video games are cleaned out within the first 5 minutes, but the comics sit there for most of the day. The funny thing is that the video games aren't even worth much at all.

Collecting games is fun, but there's no money in selling them. eBay takes nearly 20% for selling games and most games barely sell for $10. That and you have to worry about the game not working as well.

I've finished my video game collection a while back, so whenever I see a decent game at a flea market I leave it, because it just seems like a waste to me.

well you have to compare apples and apples. Most comics don't get $10 either. There is an overwhelming b*ttload of in both hobbies and its only the good stuff that will get any money in either hobby (or any hobby, really).

remember when the AOL CDs and tins...especially the various limited edition ones, were deemed collectible and there was a weird market for them? it lasted a couple of years, but the whole thing became moot when people just downloaded the next version of their web browser, no CD required. I had a friend who scoured the city for these and grabbed every special edition at every event he could find and was making a nice little chunk of change every week from these on ebay.

Video games. Definetly . Read an article recently about how its getting huge. I go to flea markets alot and I see folks searching for old video games. Some I read are selling for 10's of thousands of dollars.

Its looking that way. There's certainly more 5 and 10k sales all the time. This past week,

A newly discovered Neo Geo game sold for a reported 30k+ a week (?) or so, and a super mario bros, of all things, not even sealed, of all things, sold for 7500 yesterday - strong result for sure. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Super-Mario-Bros-Hangtab-First-Print-Gold-VGA-Q90-Nintendo-NES-/220968206106?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3372bb3f1a

It IS the very first version and it is in great shape, but not even sealed??? wow. The seller has already confirmed the buyer as being legit and payment as being received.

Madness! Why did I play them? I should of kept them MIB! :ohnoez:

But they were so fun to play. :grin:

Sadly most of the later generations don't know or care much about comic books. Aside from movies, they don't know who Iron Man, Thor or any of the super heroes are and have never read the first comic about them, but ask them who Zelda or Sonic is and they can tell you everything about them.

It's all perspective, most of us grew up with comics so that's what we like to collect, people from the 80's & 90's going forward grew up with video games and rarely if ever read a comic.

Long gone are the days of riding your bike to the corner store to buy the latest comic, now it's take me to Best Buy or Wallyworld for the latest game.

:preach: