• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Tales #114?

40 posts in this topic

Okay I'm confused. I was just browsing online and on the description of the ST#114 issue (Captain America cover) it says that this is his first SA apperance? I thought Avengers #4 was his first apperance, then followed by FF#26? I'm sure I have seen FF#26 advertised as Cap's 2nd SA apperance? Also, what was the story line in ST#114? Didn't Cap just thaw out in Avengers #4 which apparently was printed four months after this issue. confused-smiley-013.gif

What he said!

I think its an undervalued mini-key. Hard to come by in HG,or even mid-grade.I find it hard to believe it is valued less than 115,which is the origin of Doc Strange.

115 has the Spider-man app which, apparently, makes it that much more valuable. tongue.gif

114 is impossible in 9.4, I know PGC has one.. but I will NOT pay that much for a copy.. no matter how desperate I get.

Brian

They sure do. Was trying to build a run of 101-135 in 9.4. It was simply impossible though, and I got stuck real early with only 3 issues. Have pretty much given up, regardless the covers are gorgeous.

Brian

They sure do. Was trying to build a run of 101-135 in 9.4. It was simply impossible though, and I got stuck real early with only 3 issues. Have pretty much given up, regardless the covers are gorgeous.

I'm still working on my run, but will except CGC 9.0 or better (but only with Off-White or better pages). I just love the covers.

Figure if I can get 110-135 in the next few years that will be an accomplishment in it self.

I'm still working on my run, but will except CGC 9.0 or better (but only with Off-White or better pages). I just love the covers.

Figure if I can get 110-135 in the next few years that will be an accomplishment in it self.

Early Strange Tales are killer and soooo tough. A really worthy Silver Age Marvel run. thumbsup2.gif

I have never seen a HG(9.0+) copy of #103 anywhere. I believe it's the scarcest of all S.A Marvels.

If someone has one, I'd love to see it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Back when I was buying on eBay in about 1998 ST #114 was plentiful and cheap in mid-grade which to me means theres a ton of fairly high grade books floating around. I picked up two for peanuts back then.

ST #115 was much harder to find in mid-grade and was always bid much higher.

115 has the Spider-man app which, apparently, makes it that much more valuable. tongue.gif

114 is impossible in 9.4, I know PGC has one.. but I will NOT pay that much for a copy.. no matter how desperate I get.

Brian

Also 115 is the 2nd appearance of Sandman.

Availability of mid and low grade copies doesn't translate to abundance of high grade copies. It could even mean the opposite. That most of the copies ARE in mid-grade and that's why there's so many of them.

Brian

i love that114 cover!!! can't tell you how exciting it was to see that book on the newstand when it got released. a total surprise and even though i'd never even read a CA story, i still knew it was something special. also kind of a cool way to build up a little anticipation leading up to avengers #4. my copy graded out at 9.0 which was just a tad disappointing - i always thought that i was lucky to have kept it in such pristine (to my eyes) shape for 40 years.

the 115 is considerably more valuable and here my copy came back a 9.4 which floored me. i also got 105 back in 9.4. i always thought that marvel had a real opportunity to do something great with the Torch solo, but failed to come up with any decent stories (yet had great kirby artwork). but then there was "Paste Pot Pete" which i still LMAO everytime is see on a cover - what a hoot!!! grin.gif

my copy graded out at 9.0 which was just a tad disappointing - i always thought that i was lucky to have kept it in such pristine (to my eyes) shape for 40 years.

the 115 is considerably more valuable and here my copy came back a 9.4 which floored me. i also got 105 back in 9.4.

BB, you definitely should have tried to get pedigree status for your books!!! Do you have ST 101 and 110 too, and if you do, have they been graded yet? If I'm getting too inquisitive, feel free to tell me it's none of my business!

love that114 cover!!! can't tell you how exciting it was to see that book on the newstand when it got released. a total surprise and even though i'd never even read a CA story, i still knew it was something special. also kind of a cool way to build up a little anticipation leading up to avengers #4. my copy graded out at 9.0 which was just a tad disappointing - i always thought that i was lucky to have kept it in such pristine (to my eyes) shape for 40 years.

Hey, if your dissappointed in your ST #114 CGC 9.0, fell free to sell it to me. I'm in the market for the book and will pay decently. tongue.gif

I wouldn't want you to have any books in your collection that dissappoint you. grin.gif

my copy graded out at 9.0 which was just a tad disappointing - i always thought that i was lucky to have kept it in such pristine (to my eyes) shape for 40 years.

the 115 is considerably more valuable and here my copy came back a 9.4 which floored me. i also got 105 back in 9.4.

BB, you definitely should have tried to get pedigree status for your books!!! Do you have ST 101 and 110 too, and if you do, have they been graded yet? If I'm getting too inquisitive, feel free to tell me it's none of my business!

no problem with discussing my books or grades. as expected, the general rule has been the older, the worse shape. my 101 graded out at 6.5 and the 110 at 8.0.

someone mentioned how tough it is to find #103 in grade and i'm proof of that. mine wasn't even worthy of submittal. probably a 5.0. i have about a half dozen in the 116 - 125 range that should be coming back this week from Fla. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

it's funny how books that were purchased just months apart and stored the same way for 40 years can be so different. X-men #1 comes back a 8.0 with "cream-off white pages (the only book out of 100 submitted with less than off-white so far) and X-men #3 comes back a 9.4 with off-white - go figure......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

love that114 cover!!! can't tell you how exciting it was to see that book on the newstand when it got released. a total surprise and even though i'd never even read a CA story, i still knew it was something special. also kind of a cool way to build up a little anticipation leading up to avengers #4. my copy graded out at 9.0 which was just a tad disappointing - i always thought that i was lucky to have kept it in such pristine (to my eyes) shape for 40 years.

Hey, if your dissappointed in your ST #114 CGC 9.0, fell free to sell it to me. I'm in the market for the book and will pay decently. tongue.gif

I wouldn't want you to have any books in your collection that dissappoint you. grin.gif

i hear ya!!!!

i'm actually going to start selling some books in a matter of a couple weeks. i haven't sold a book in over 40 years. the specifics regarding which books, where they'll be sold, etc should be coming out very soon. while i don't believe that my collection as a whole deserves "Pedigree" status, i will be selling them as part of the "Burntboy" collection. while that doesn't have anywhere near the cachet of "pedigree" at least the new owners will know that they are getting books that have only made one stop in their 40+ years of existence and can even point to where the books were originally purchased. cool.gif