• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Tales #114?

40 posts in this topic

For years these early Strange Tales issues went unnoticed and undervalued (they are still). I love them, as they are truly early FF stories. There was a great article in the FF 40 yeara anniversary issue of The Jack Kirby Collector talking about these Strange Tales issues, etc. It was awesome to read and quite informative. I think it came out appx a year and a half ago (Issue 33 I think).

I actually have the entire Pacific Coast run of Strange Tales 101-168 (plus Dr. Strange 169-183) but I'm going to be selling my Pacific Coast doubles in the next week or two. Most of the PC's are 9.4 or better (101,102;, while 106 & 107 are 9.6's, as is 110-113 and 116-118). I have a 9.6 on the 114 and 115 so my 9.4 PC's will be going. I'll keep the higher copy and sell the lower graded Pacific Coast.

I really love this run and can't wait for these books to be added to the registry.

Industry,

I had a 103 9.6 white mountain, but traded it in a deal and got back a 9.4. It was absolutely killer and I didn't want to trade it, but I did in order to get an X-Men I really wanted. At least I still have a 9.4. Sorry, but I don't have a scan.

I'm selling my PC copy but its only an 8.0 (has some Marvel Chipping, otherwise its nice.)

actually have the entire Pacific Coast run of Strange Tales 101-168 (plus Dr. Strange 169-183) but I'm going to be selling my Pacific Coast doubles in the next week or two.

Where are you going to be selling them (i.e. eBay, ComicLink, etc.)?

I interested in most issues from 101-135 and would actually prefer CGC 9.0 or 9.2 copies to 9.4 or higher (as long as they have White Pages).

Man, even the PC copy of #103 is only an 8.0. I couldn't even imagine that 9.6......

filosa,

Just noticed you are located in Southeast Florida. I'm relocating to Palm Beach County in September. As we will be fairly close, lets hook up and do some deals.

FYI, I'm going to be selling them on the website that I'm launching later this month (actually in about 2 weeks). My announcement will be coming shortly on the boards.

You may find some pretty interesting books. Keep in touch.

Doug

filosa,

Just noticed you are located in Southeast Florida. I'm relocating to Palm Beach County in September. As we will be fairly close, lets hook up and do some deals.

FYI, I'm going to be selling them on the website that I'm launching later this month (actually in about 2 weeks). My announcement will be coming shortly on the boards.

You may find some pretty interesting books. Keep in touch.

Glad to hear you are coming to South Florida. You will love it.

Definitely would like to hook up. I'll take you out to dinner if I can drool over your books (the slabs should protect it from my saliva, right?)

PM when you get here.

Availability of mid and low grade copies doesn't translate to abundance of high grade copies. It could even mean the opposite. That most of the copies ARE in mid-grade and that's why there's so many of them.

Brian

I suppose thats a possibility I would think ST#114 being a fairly attractive cover with several well known characters would mean that when speculating was beginning in earnest in the late 60's early 70's that it was sought out. At minimum I see no reason why ST#114 would have less high grade issues than others issues of a comparable age and see several reasons why its likely that theres as many if not more high grade issues of this book than other books of the time.

Though there is no way to definitively know one way or the other, I still believe my original point to be true.

Well since no one has put it up yet.

st114.JPG

One of my earliest buys since I got back in the hobby.

And I agree..really undervalued.

Guess since it was not really the Cap.. it was priced accordingly.

It was a great ploy by Marvel.. I remember reading somewhere that they wanted to see the response Cap got with current readers in a solo app.... so this was a way for them to have him on cover.. and in book.. solo and have it not really be a true Captain appearence.

Just some lame acrobat.. 27_laughing.gif Kirby did draw him a little skinnier.. dont ya think?

And while the face is similar.. it is not what we now know as Captain America in the S.A.

Pretty sneaky of Ol Stan

And I just love how he drew the crowd in this cover.. looks like the good ol pre hero covers.

st114.JPG

One of my earliest buys since I got back in the hobby.

And I agree..really undervalued.

Guess since it was not really the Cap.. it was priced accordingly.

It was a great ploy by Marvel.. I remember reading somewhere that they wanted to see the response Cap got with current readers in a solo app.... so this was a way for them to have him on cover.. and in book.. solo and have it not really be a true Captain appearence.

Just some lame acrobat.. 27_laughing.gif Kirby did draw him a little skinnier.. dont ya think?

And while the face is similar.. it is not what we now know as Captain America in the S.A.

Pretty sneaky of Ol Stan

And I just love how he drew the crowd in this cover.. looks like the good ol pre hero covers.

man, i love that cover cloud9.gif

That is a great cover, and IMHO better than Avengers #4. cloud9.gif

it's a close call between them. the 114 really makes the torch look like a teenager and the face on CA was wisely (with hindsight) drawn differently than Kirby's future CA.

i also love the CA cover of SF#13, that's another "unique" book that just jumped off the rack into my hands grin.gif

and, i agree with discount that st 107 is a classic cover. mine has one drop of smutz (almost looks like i was eating chocolate) deadcenter and got downgraded to an 8.5 frown.gif

st114.JPG

I was reading about GA Captain America the last week or so and an article mentioned this story but not the issue number. I don't think I've seen anybody post a copy in two years. So I did a search and found this old thread.

Q: Why this issue is important?

A: An event that would prove momentous for the nascent Marvel universe occurred with the quasi-crossover of Strange Tales # 114 (Nov 1963). There was more irony than substance in this issue when Lee and Kirby rescued Captain America from many years in comic book limbo to battle the present-day Human Torch. It would turn out that this particular Captain America was an imposter (actually an old Torch villain called the Acrobat) while the Human Torch is himself merely a retooled version of the original 1940s character. But regardless of the nature of the combatants, Kirby treated readers to page after page of colorful thrills and spills as the Torch tries to fight someone he assumes is the real Captain America. Finally, as the Torch relaxes at home reading old Captain America comics, Lee offers readers the possibility of bringing back the real Captain America if they demand it which, as history shows, they did.

http://www.samcci.comics.org/reviews/marvel-keys_pt1_pg4.htm

Nice thread!

It's rare that I read praise for the Strange Tales serie...and it's still undervalued in the OS guide (only the typical 5%-10% bump from 2005 to 2006) confused-smiley-013.gif

As for the ST 114 its cover is faaaar better than the Avengers 4 (which I think is one of the ugliest Marvel SA Key and worst Kirby cover of all time...to his defense his inker did'nt help him at all on this one!)

Nice thread!

It's rare that I read praise for the Strange Tales serie...and it's still undervalued in the OS guide (only the typical 5%-10% bump from 2005 to 2006) confused-smiley-013.gif

As for the ST 114 its cover is faaaar better than the Avengers 4 (which I think is one of the ugliest Marvel SA Key and worst Kirby cover of all time...to his defense his inker did'nt help him at all on this one!)

With you all the way on this one Frederic!!! Strange Tales is way undervalued in guide and has some of Kirby's best covers. HG slabbed copies do fetch a premium way in excess of guide. One of my favorites and I can't say I mind that the series is something of a cult favorite not as widely collected as other SA Marvels. "Our Club" so to speak. thumbsup2.gif