• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Investing in comics: What do you buy?

63 posts in this topic

DilbertInvestingStrip.gif

I've been looking at the return investment in my kid's 529 plan compared to the increase in the price of Amazing Fantasy #15 :frustrated:

So let's say that you have up to $10K to put into comic books. You can buy 1 book, multiple books, or multiple copies of the same book.

What do you buy and why?

Thanks for all the input.

Wow! It seems that Amazing Fantasy #15 is the hottest book on the planet. ^^

Any other close seconds that would be investment worth? Is it too late to cash in on Avengers #1? I've heard alot of buzz about DD#1 and Sgt.Fury #1 being undervalued. Thoughts?

Avengers #1, Daredevil #1, X-Men #1, Hulk #1, JIM #83. TOS #39. I personally don't subscribe to Sgt Fury #1 being tremendously undervalued. Even though it does have Nick Fury, it is still a war comic, and the title is simply not as popular as the others. I might lean more to trying to find a nice Strange Tales #135.

Giant Size X-Men #1, X-Men #94, Hulk #181, Amazing Spider-man #129, Tomb of Dracula #1, Marvel Spotlight #2 and #5, House of Secrets #92, Iron Man #1, Batman #232, Batman #181, et al infinitum.

You could literally go on and on with a list of books that are investment worthy. I would even include Bronze Age 9.8s in this group. Many of these books are very undervalued right now compared to how tough it is to get them.

Strange Tales #135 I fully agree with and have bought one right off these 'boards', as it was on my want list for some time. Great undervalued book, but my advice would be to seek out a copy in 9.2. The price spreads between a 9.2 and 9.4 are far too great to justify the cost.

I had just assumed that anyone who is speaking about "investing" in comics, hopefully understands the concept of buying low.

And I am talking about long term investments, not short term. I think short term investing in comics is foolish, unless you really know what you are doing, and I don't think you target certain books in that circumstance, but focus more on good deals.

Never ASSUME anything. That is what I learned being in the collectibles business. People will literally read in the newspaper something like 'antiques and collectibles are down 30%; investment prospects great!' Needless to say, I'll be at the antique market the next week seeing a lot of new faces not understanding anything except dollar signs.

It is amazing to me as to how many people do NOT understand the difference between 'investing' and 'flipping.' This has been proven time and time again. I am sure you have seen this as well; in one aspect or another.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

A fool and his money are soon parted.

An important rule of investing--

Anything that has gone up quickly and dramatically can also go down quickly and dramatically.

Very true. Most people fail to realize that volatility, in either direction, is the only reliable long-term indicator of risk.

:preach: