• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Investing in comics: What do you buy?

63 posts in this topic

Thanks for all the input.

Wow! It seems that Amazing Fantasy #15 is the hottest book on the planet. ^^

Any other close seconds that would be investment worth?

No.

Any other choice would be fifth best. AF #15 is so far ahead, no one gets to be second, third, or fourth.

Silver Jimmy Olsens are like penny stocks. Someday, at some point, someone will appreciate the humor and art in these books and prices will skyrocket. Whether that precedes or follows the inevitable Jimmy Olsen series on SyFy and/or the indie Jimmy Olsen movie at Sundance and the Jimmy Olsen merch and McDonald's Happy Meal tie-in is anyone's guess.

Any other close seconds that would be investment worth? Is it too late to cash in on Avengers #1? I've heard alot of buzz about DD#1 and Sgt.Fury #1 being undervalued. Thoughts?

Avengers #1, Daredevil #1, X-Men #1, Hulk #1, JIM #83. TOS #39. I personally don't subscribe to Sgt Fury #1 being tremendously undervalued. Even though it does have Nick Fury, it is still a war comic, and the title is simply not as popular as the others. I might lean more to trying to find a nice Strange Tales #135.

Giant Size X-Men #1, X-Men #94, Hulk #181, Amazing Spider-man #129, Tomb of Dracula #1, Marvel Spotlight #2 and #5, House of Secrets #92, Iron Man #1, Batman #232, Batman #181, et al infinitum.

You could literally go on and on with a list of books that are investment worthy. I would even include Bronze Age 9.8s in this group. Many of these books are very undervalued right now compared to how tough it is to get them.

Strange Tales #135 I fully agree with and have bought one right off these 'boards', as it was on my want list for some time. Great undervalued book, but my advice would be to seek out a copy in 9.2. The price spreads between a 9.2 and 9.4 are far too great to justify the cost.

I had just assumed that anyone who is speaking about "investing" in comics, hopefully understands the concept of buying low.

And I am talking about long term investments, not short term. I think short term investing in comics is foolish, unless you really know what you are doing, and I don't think you target certain books in that circumstance, but focus more on good deals.

I've heard alot of buzz about DD#1 and Sgt.Fury #1 being undervalued. Thoughts?

I think if something has been undervalued for over two decades, it's not technically "undervalued". That's just the value.

I think if something has been undervalued for over two decades, it's not technically "undervalued". That's just the value.

DD #1 is the cheapest of the big Marvel #1s. It has alot of potential to go up....if they ever do a great DD movie, like the ones they have been producing lately.

+1....and throw Iron Man 1 in that glop too.

+1....and throw Iron Man 1 in that glop too.

Anyone with copies of Sgt. Fury #1 they couldn't care less about, shoot me a PM... :whistle:

Come on people!

:signofftopic:

If your 10k is for "investing", I'd look somewhere other than funny books 2c

I agree. the spread between the bid and the ask price on comic books is far too extreme to contemplate "investing" in comic books.

:preach:

An important rule of investing--

Anything that has gone up quickly and dramatically can also go down quickly and dramatically.

The price behavior of AF #15 is starting to remind me of internet stocks in 1999-2000, or of housing in 2005-2006.

I would be careful with this book.

No.

Any other choice would be fifth best. AF #15 is so far ahead, no one gets to be second, third, or fourth.

Mid Grade Marvel Keys...

My reasoning: Eventually books like the Action Comics 9.0 that recently went for over $2 million will hit a virtual ceiling. While it is true that the book will increase in value and eventually sell for a higher price, consider the price of the next sale in relation to the price of milk or gas between the two dates of sale.

There are only a limited amount of people in this world that can spend or try to come up with the money to spend $2 million on a comic book. They must satisfy the conditions of having the capital and the interest in the book. That puts them in an exclusive club. On top of that, the seller of Action Comics #1 is automatically removing himself from the hunt by the fact that he no longer wants the book.

However, mid grade books of say, Amazing Fantasy 15, X-Men 1, Hulk 181 will always be at a lower price point but be within the grasp of a wider audience with the cash. It can also be speculated that as the higher grade books become locked up in personal collections that mid grade and even lower grade copies of the "grails" become more desirable.

I believe that the Silver Age Marvel Keys in a mid grade condition still show the highest possible room for growth over the next ten years.

I agree with you 100%

These last few years, not only collectors, but the average Joe is trying to hedge against inflation. Everything keeps going up and the need to invest what we can afford to nest away for a return remains a challenge as to what and where to invest. Funny thing is gold only until recently has become more valuable than platinum, when platinum is actually far more rarer than the yellow stuff. Why? I think people know gold, trust gold and understand it. The worlds supply of platinum can fit in a 16'x16'x16 cube, yet most can't tellthe difference between it and silver. They do however know gold and that is why gold has overtaken platinum in the precious metals hierarchy. AF15 to many comic book collectors see that book as gold, they know it, trust it and understand it's significance. Yes there are far better investments than a copy of the first Spidey, buy tell that to someone who has dreamed of ownership forever. Owning an AF15 is s hedge against inflation and bs putting your money on a bank, you will certainly be better of with the book. Selling it as liquid is a click away. Profiting is almost always automatic, something gold investors are finding out is not the case with AU

These last few years, not only collectors, but the average Joe is trying to hedge against inflation. Everything keeps going up and the need to invest what we can afford to nest away for a return remains a challenge as to what and where to invest. Funny thing is gold only until recently has become more valuable than platinum, when platinum is actually far more rarer than the yellow stuff. Why? I think people know gold, trust gold and understand it. The worlds supply of platinum can fit in a 16'x16'x16 cube, yet most can't tellthe difference between it and silver. They do however know gold and that is why gold has overtaken platinum in the precious metals hierarchy. AF15 to many comic book collectors see that book as gold, they know it, trust it and understand it's significance. Yes there are far better investments than a copy of the first Spidey, buy tell that to someone who has dreamed of ownership forever. Owning an AF15 is s hedge against inflation and bs putting your money on a bank, you will certainly be better of with the book. Selling it as liquid is a click away. Profiting is almost always automatic, something gold investors are finding out is not the case with AU

Well said, Sir! :applause:

Banks hold gold when ever the currency is threatened, it can be exchanged at anytime. It's been that way for 6,000 years and beyond. I'll take the AF #15, some rich Biotch will always want it cause it's more fun to look at than a metal bar.

Any other close seconds that would be investment worth? Is it too late to cash in on Avengers #1? I've heard alot of buzz about DD#1 and Sgt.Fury #1 being undervalued. Thoughts?

Avengers #1, Daredevil #1, X-Men #1, Hulk #1, JIM #83. TOS #39. I personally don't subscribe to Sgt Fury #1 being tremendously undervalued. Even though it does have Nick Fury, it is still a war comic, and the title is simply not as popular as the others. I might lean more to trying to find a nice Strange Tales #135.

Giant Size X-Men #1, X-Men #94, Hulk #181, Amazing Spider-man #129, Tomb of Dracula #1, Marvel Spotlight #2 and #5, House of Secrets #92, Iron Man #1, Batman #232, Batman #181, et al infinitum.

You could literally go on and on with a list of books that are investment worthy. I would even include Bronze Age 9.8s in this group. Many of these books are very undervalued right now compared to how tough it is to get them.

Strange Tales #135 I fully agree with and have bought one right off these 'boards', as it was on my want list for some time. Great undervalued book, but my advice would be to seek out a copy in 9.2. The price spreads between a 9.2 and 9.4 are far too great to justify the cost.

I had just assumed that anyone who is speaking about "investing" in comics, hopefully understands the concept of buying low.

And I am talking about long term investments, not short term. I think short term investing in comics is foolish, unless you really know what you are doing, and I don't think you target certain books in that circumstance, but focus more on good deals.

Never ASSUME anything. That is what I learned being in the collectibles business. People will literally read in the newspaper something like 'antiques and collectibles are down 30%; investment prospects great!' Needless to say, I'll be at the antique market the next week seeing a lot of new faces not understanding anything except dollar signs.

It is amazing to me as to how many people do NOT understand the difference between 'investing' and 'flipping.' This has been proven time and time again. I am sure you have seen this as well; in one aspect or another.

Kind Regards,

'mint'