• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ninja Turtles - Differences Between Printings?
8 8

370 posts in this topic

They made a mistake. They fixed the mistake. Do you want a daily journal of activities of everything they do? Seriously?

no I don't need a daily journal but thanks for the offer, seriously :whatev:

I'm saying that this is a very expensive, very important book. To brush off the subject without anything official is not prudent in my mind. apologies if that does not suit for you.

as mentioned this is all spit in the wind without CGC chiming in...

They made a mistake. They fixed the mistake. Do you want a daily journal of activities of everything they do? Seriously?

The fix is interesting. 2c

It's a book that sold for $23,000 and only 5 copies exist on the census. It's not ASM #300.

If the statement was we bought (insert one of the 5 owners) copy and gave it to the new buyer everyone would be agreeing with you and saying :golfclap:(worship) CGC.

I'm not saying there was fowl play or anything. I just agree the new replacement for such a rare book appearing is well... interesting. 2c

1-877-NM-COMIC

press 1 for customer service

No kidding. WTH?! They made it right, and we all received a super education. Why beat this horse to a pulp?

Thanks to Stronguy and CGC for taking this one down quickly before it became a real issue.

+1000

This is an EPIC thread and DiceX and Stronguy deserve mucho (worship)(worship) for what they found and shared.

It's a book that sold for $23,000 and only 5 copies exist on the census. It's not ASM #300.

If the statement was we bought (insert one of the 5 owners) copy and gave it to the new buyer everyone would be agreeing with you and saying :golfclap:(worship) CGC.

I'm not saying there was fowl play or anything. I just agree the new replacement for such a rare book appearing is well... interesting. 2c

1-877-NM-COMIC

No pitch forks or torches here. All I said was that it was interesting.... :whatev:

1-877-NM-COMIC

No pitch forks or torches here. All I said was that it was interesting.... :whatev:

CGC has a vast network of dealers that they can tap into for replacement copies as necessary - they damaged a book of mine during encapsulation that only had a single 9.8 copy in the census (and is brutally difficult in high grade), yet they still managed to come up with a replacement copy for me. Do you honestly think that only 5 copies of TMNT #1 out there would grade a 9.8?

Do you honestly think that only 5 copies of TMNT #1 out there would grade a 9.8?

Nobody ever said there is only and will only be 5 copies out there.

Edited by pubmonkey

who's to say that CGC just didn't get the book back and gave it the correct label, without having to find a 9.8 first print for the winning bidder.

Paul said they did (scroll up to my previous post).

1-877-NM-COMIC

CGC has a vast network of dealers that they can tap into for replacement copies as necessary - they damaged a book of mine during encapsulation that only had a single 9.8 copy in the census (and is brutally difficult in high grade), yet they still managed to come up with a replacement copy for me. Do you honestly think that only 5 copies of TMNT #1 out there would grade a 9.8?

Mike that's awesome to hear. I'm a fan of CGC too, please don't think I'm attacking them. In fact, if there was a mix up with books and they tracked down the original 1st print, or if they bought him an existing copy that's tremendous customer service.

As far as the 5 copies go? Of course I don't know. I'm not familar with everyone's collection, but after a book sells for $23,000 you'd think more would surface. Maybe some 9.6 are being pressed right now? So no, the 5 is not set in stone. The point was the book is scarce.

Maybe the original submitter did send a 1st print and there was some lucky out there who subbed a 3rd print and got a 1st print inside his slab. If that was the case, and they tracked down the book that's interesting.

If they bought a replacement that would also be REALLY impressive customer service. 2c

Whether a new copy was graded 9.8, they got 2 books mixed up and fixed it, or if they bought an existing copy for the guy, all the scenarios are interesting. That's all I was trying to say.

It's more interesting stuff than the 17 Walking Dead threads people keep starting, and that's coming from a guy who's been a WD fan since the beginning. lol

In other news, my LEGIT first print came in today.

:whee:

Congrats. That is a hella sweet copy. I'd die to own one that nice. (worship)

I have a quick question that relates to this post. I was examining my 1st, 2nd and 3rd printings of #1 just now (none slabbed). I am questioning the legitimacy of my 1st print.

I don't have another to compare it to, so I thought I'd ask the board for help.

My first print is the exact same width and height of my third print. My second print is wider and slightly taller than my 1st and 3rd. I was under the impression that 1st and 2nd were nearly identical in size.

Also, the 1st does have the Gobbledygook ad, but on the inside front cover, the address is cut off at the bottom. Also, the paper used for the cover is a different type of paper than is used for the 2nd and 3rd printings. The image on the cover doesn't look as "crisp" as the subsequent two printings. I suspect it may be a photocopy.

Now, my inclination is that a 3rd printing interior was used, and a first printing cover was photocopied, cut to the width of the 3rd printing and attached carefully. I hope this is not the case but I wondered if I could get some insight on here. Thanks!