• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP!! Scanning Comic Books...Tons of them....FAST!!!!!

9 posts in this topic

Help!

I scan thousands of comics a year and I need some help because my old Windows XP computer died.

Windows XP had the ability to scan a comic and with a couple clicks of the back button, switch the comic, and re-scan the same set image size. That way, I can scan a comic every 15 seconds or so.

With Vista and Windows 7, this program is long gone. And the best I can do is use the crappy Windows photo gallery scanner that comes with Windows 7. With this stupid bit of software, you have to prescan every comic and crop to size, and then do the primary scan. I get maybe one scan every 1 1/2 minutes. That takes way too long to scan a long box!

So I need some help to make faster scans. What do you all use? I know there are people that scan more comics than I do. Should I just go buy a cheap computer with Windows XP, or is there some software I can buy that will allow me to set a single image size on the scanner bed and make many many scans of the same size?

HELP!!!

I recommend Epson Scan but it may just work on Epson scanners. It's always been my favourite.

I have an HP scanner, but the HP software is not set for fast mutiple scans either. You still have to scan, crop, save and then start the next one from scratch. Don't these designers ever see the need to scan many objects of the same size quickly?

You might want to check out VueScan at http://www.hamrick.com I love it. It's not free (although you can download a trial copy), but the guy constantly updates the software.

I bought the VueScan software after using the free trial and it is perfect for scanning comics FAST! I highly recommend it for any board member that needs to scan huge amounts of comics at high speed.

Thanks very much to Heliosten for the advice. :applause:

You might want to check out VueScan at http://www.hamrick.com I love it. It's not free (although you can download a trial copy), but the guy constantly updates the software.

I bought the VueScan software after using the free trial and it is perfect for scanning comics FAST! I highly recommend it for any board member that needs to scan huge amounts of comics at high speed.

I installed this software this weekend and agree that it's great for scanning comics.

I installed this software this weekend and agree that it's great for scanning comics.

Dale Roberts was over this past week and we were discussing scanners. Dale just bought the same scanner that I have, Microtek I800. I purchased this because it is compatible with Win 7 and it is the scanner Comic Link uses which I think are great scans

I like the scanner but it is slow, I mean over 1 min to scan then you have to crop each comic after scanning.

Dale mentioned Vue Scan and then I saw this thread so I plopped down the $40 bucks and it is money well spent. Scans in 15 seconds and the cropped area stays set for each comic.

Get Vue Scan if you are not happy with your scanner software.