• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Horse Presents

7 posts in this topic

Anyone else reading this? I stopped reading after #3 b/c DCBS (still!!!) hasn't shipped my copy of #4... just about to place my order for this month, and it looks like I'm going to have to buy both cover... Motter Mr. X and Kieth Aliens? How in the world am I supposed to choose?

I really hate anthologies... and I typically do not like these over-sized books (at all)... It is a real testament to talent DH has gotten in this book that I continue to buy it. Everything about it says, "Don't buy me," but then I look at who's involved, and I have no choice...

Anything standing out after issue 3? I'm especially looking forward to reading The Massive... I think I have all the pieces of that now, actually... hmm... fun weekend ahead, perhaps!

I forced myself thru issue #2 and had had enough. Thought stories were mediocre or worse.

I actually agree with this tho... this is partially why I hate anthologies... it seems like such a slog to get through anything, and then you change gears, and every part is too short so there's rarely any payoff. The old DHP series was better since they only had 3(-ish) stories in it... even if they didn't have the big names attached that the current series has.

And it was B&W...

Still... I feel pretty good about having all the parts to The Massive waiting to be read, and I can't wait to see Kieth drawing Aliens again... I will pretty much always wait until I have all of the issues to complete a story before reading it tho...

I really think they should cut the size of these issues in half... have 2 big stories that run a MAX of 6 issues and maybe 1 backup per issue. Much easier to digest.

I will pick up any Hellboy or Mr.Monster related issues - but even with my LCS discount I still resent paying twice as much as a regular comic would cost for an 8 page story and maybe a cover if I'm lucky. I wouldn't mind if I found much of the rest of the book worth reading, but that's rarely the case. I find anthology books generally more appealing if there is at least a theme or continuity of genre within. The grab bag feel of books like DHP are bound to disappoint most readers. It was the same with the old series - I picked it up on an issue by issue basis depending on the contributors.