• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you buy in the $1,000-$1500 range.

61 posts in this topic

Best bet is TMNT #1. You should be able to get one in the 7.5 to 9.0 range depending on the auction. Why is that the best pick? The rule of 25 is going to kick in as the kids are older now. The original movie came out in 1990.

I recently picked up a copy of this book. I got hooked on the cartoon and then the comics when I was young. And I was on the older side of that craze. Too old for the toys, but enjoyed the comics and TV show. The kids 5 years younger than me were the ones really crazy into it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that book sees another bump especially in your price range. There aren't alot of these books in low grade. Usually midgrade and up, so all the people who just want to own one will probably be competing with each other over the CGC 6.0 and up books. 2c

AF #15 Nope. You can't get one for that price. CGC 1.0 are selling for $2,000.

Hulk #1, X-Men #1, GS X-Men #1, and even Hulk 181 don't rise in value quickly. Sure, they increase in value, but it's slow and steady like a bank CD. I don't believe you'll see much growth over the next 5 years. 2c

What is the rule of 25? I googled but there are a lot of things that have a rule of 25

Golden Age Bats or Supes in the highest grade possible.

Looooong term growth? I still feel the Amazing Spiderman 129 is slightly undervalued. Eventually Marvel will get the Punisher "right" again. You can land a pretty high grade copy for $1500 9.4 possible 9.6.

Best bet is TMNT #1. You should be able to get one in the 7.5 to 9.0 range depending on the auction. Why is that the best pick? The rule of 25 is going to kick in as the kids are older now. The original movie came out in 1990.

I recently picked up a copy of this book. I got hooked on the cartoon and then the comics when I was young. And I was on the older side of that craze. Too old for the toys, but enjoyed the comics and TV show. The kids 5 years younger than me were the ones really crazy into it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that book sees another bump especially in your price range. There aren't alot of these books in low grade. Usually midgrade and up, so all the people who just want to own one will probably be competing with each other over the CGC 6.0 and up books. 2c

Hulk #1, X-Men #1, GS X-Men #1, and even Hulk 181 don't rise in value quickly. Sure, they increase in value, but it's slow and steady like a bank CD. I don't believe you'll see much growth over the next 5 years. 2c

What is the rule of 25? I googled but there are a lot of things that have a rule of 25

I believe the rule of 25 is that by the time the kids are 25 and in the professional world and out of college, they become nostalgic and start buying stuff up.

I believe the rule of 25 is that by the time the kids are 25 and in the professional world and out of college, they become nostalgic and start buying stuff up.

Its true! I turn 25 this year and I just got into buying stuff like this and other things of nostalgic value.

I think the rule is more that as people age, they want to reaquire what they had as kids. Thats generally about twenty five years later.

Yeah that's the right one.

Whatever you read or watched when you were around 15-20 years old, you'll get nostalgic for that 25 years later...

I think the rule is more that as people age, they want to reaquire what they had as kids. Thats generally about twenty five years later.

Yeah that's the right one.

Whatever you read or watched when you were around 15-20 years old, you'll get nostalgic for that 25 years later...

It's not exactly a rule, more like a theory or guideline/tendency, despite what its proponents would have you believe. At best, I think maybe you could prove that things get hot again ~25 years later greater than what random chance would statistically suggest, but (a) very few things that were hot for children/teens 25 years ago ever become hot again and (b) very rarely do the few things that do become hot again happen exactly 25 years later - sometimes it's 10 years later, sometimes 15, 20, 25...and the modal (most frequent) observation is never.

So, it's not even remotely a sure thing, not even close - more like random chance says there is a 4% chance of this once hot-item becoming hot again 25 years later and the actual tendency is 10% (just made up those figures to illustrate my point, but it's probably around that order of magnitude). Also, I'd like to see some examples from more than recent experience - how does this "rule" hold up under conditions in the first 2/3rds of the 20th century, for example? And has it held up outside of the U.S.? (shrug)

Rule of 25 ranks right up there with the law of averages. People kind of know it so therefore it must exist. (thumbs u

The law of averages does exist...ask enough attractive girls to go home with you and eventually one will say yes. I'm living proof!

Your mom was an attractive girl.......nice :cloud9:

Rule of 25 ranks right up there with the law of averages. People kind of know it so therefore it must exist. (thumbs u

The law of averages does exist...ask enough attractive girls to go home with you and eventually one will say yes. I'm living proof!

Your mom was an attractive girl.......nice :cloud9:

Oh snap! Wrist slap!

Looking for which CGC book of any era in that price range you would buy that you think has the best upside over the next five years.

I recommend an ASM #1 in CGC 4.1 -- very tough to find, and the price is climbing by the hour.

I'd get him a sweet Top census GGA slab.

He's a red blooded American for gosh sakes.........You could sell it to Cheetah in 5 years

Give it a rest, Collin.

Looking for which CGC book of any era in that price range you would buy that you think has the best upside over the next five years.

I recommend an ASM #1 in CGC 4.1 -- very tough to find, and the price is climbing by the hour.

lol

Only a 5 year wait?

How much of a return are you looking to get?

As much as you can get of course but let's be realistic, Spend 1-1.5K looking to make 10K in 5 years?

Not gonna happen.

Spend 1500 to make 2500 in 5 years? Possible.

If that's the case, Get highest graded copper/modern age key you can find.

Thinking about buying a book for a God-son. He's currently in 8th grade and I'd like him to be able to cash it out in five years.

He doesn't collect comics so its a financial thing only.

I'm leaning towards a GA Cap, but they seem a bit pricey just now.

Walking Dead

They will double in 5 years.

and talk about the rule of 25 for this one! :cloud9:

If I had to take a stab I would go with either Avengers 1, X-Men 1, or Amazing Fantasy 15. The huge swing in a lot of books right now seems to be based with how well they do in other media such as movies. I don't see Marvel stopping with the Avengers for another 3-5 years at least. And there is no way that Fox is ever going to give the X-Men title back to Marvel since Disney now owns them. So expect that title to keep pumping out movies for many years to come.

If I had to take a stab I would go with either Avengers 1, X-Men 1, or Amazing Fantasy 15. The huge swing in a lot of books right now seems to be based with how well they do in other media such as movies. I don't see Marvel stopping with the Avengers for another 3-5 years at least. And there is no way that Fox is ever going to give the X-Men title back to Marvel since Disney now owns them. So expect that title to keep pumping out movies for many years to come.

I'm not sure that Avengers #1 hasn't reach a plateau and may not go up a lot more for a while. It's value has skyrocketed in the last few years. Avengers 4 prices has started to drop. AF 15 or even early high grade Hulks might be good choices.