• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you buy in the $1,000-$1500 range.

61 posts in this topic

Thinking about buying a book for a God-son. He's currently in 8th grade and I'd like him to be able to cash it out in five years.

He doesn't collect comics so its a financial thing only.

Looking for which CGC book of any era in that price range you would buy that you think has the best upside over the next five years.

I'm leaning towards a GA Cap, but they seem a bit pricey just now.

Thinking about buying a book for a God-son. He's currently in 8th grade and I'd like him to be able to cash it out in five years.

He doesn't collect comics so its a financial thing only.

Looking for which CGC book of any era in that price range you would buy that you think has the best upside over the next five years.

I'm leaning towards a GA Cap, but they seem a bit pricey just now.

Highest graded copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 you can get for that price.

I'm not sure that this would be the message I would want to send to my godson if it is strictly for a 5 year window.

Why not diversify it better:

stocks

bonds

gold or silver

comics

greek debt

etc.

Is this for use as a "lesson"?

I would imagine he will want to raid it in less than 5 years since he will be ready for cars, girls, etc. sooner.

He has stocks, a college fund, ect. He's 13 and can drive at 18. If he wants to use it for a car, thats his choice. My only stipulation is he gives me a chance to match whatever price he sells it for.

He has stocks, a college fund, ect. He's 13 and can drive at 18. If he wants to use it for a car, thats his choice. My only stipulation is he gives me a chance to match whatever price he sells it for.
in that case you may be the eventual owner, so picka book you like.

Might want to get him an Avengers 1, he will appreciate it with the movie coming out and give him something to brag about to his friends. If they do another movie in about 5 years the book will do very well. You could also do a nice IM 1.

Shocked no one has suggested a Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8 signed by Moore and Kirkman yet.

:fear:

The show could lose its popularity or get cancelled by then, which would affect the comic's value.

I would suggest the highest copy of Batman 181 or Detective Comics 359 you can find.

Might want to get him an Avengers 1, he will appreciate it with the movie coming out and give him something to brag about to his friends. If they do another movie in about 5 years the book will do very well. You could also do a nice IM 1.

I like this idea... there are a few books that will give you a better return, but this one would make a good present with all the buzz and hype that will be flying around the teen community in the following months.

You can *maybe* get an AF #15 for that price, but it won't be much to look at and eye appeal means a lot to a teen.

I like books that have a nice upside to them, so the circle goes round and round........

EXACTLY! Here's a blog entry I wrote on rotational leadership:

http://makingakillingwithcollectibles.blogspot.com/2012/01/rotational-leadershipwhat-it-is-and-how.html

I'd be looking for a traditional leader that is out of favor. So I'd be looking for something X-men related. Either X-men #1, or high grade (but not ridiculously high grade) bronze....like 9.2 and 9.4 would be good...maybe 9.6.

I would not get Walking Dead, Avengers, JIM83 or TOS39.

I do see a case for Spiderman, but I'd chase issues other than AF15 because of the short time horizon.

IMHO, X-men #1, X-men 94, Hulk 181, Giant Size X-men 1.

Anyone else see the X-men #94 in CGC 8.0 as a bargain at $400? I've seen them that cheap.

WC

I like the X-men case...with movie after movie after movie to be released, the popularity of that group should continue to grow with newer generations! And besides, who honestly wouldn't want to have mutant powers?!?! (thumbs u

I think X-men 1 is an undervalued book at the moment. I also think that Avengers 1 is undervalued as well. It may not skyrocket like an AF 15 has in the last year or two, but I think a steady climb should occur. I personally like JIM 83 but that's just me.

I'm a HUGE believer that BB 28 is way undervalued but I've been on that horse for a while and it hasn't moved...so maybe it will pay off...

And I like to think X-men 94 is a bargain..and I've got a CGC 8.0 ready to sell! :D