• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PPSSM 1 CGC 9.8 White

16 posts in this topic

I thought I paid high dollar for my 9.8 White pages:

$515

popcorn.gif

Figures in this range for perfect QP and PQ don't surprise me, but what surprises me about this one is that I don't even think the QP is all that great. It's hard to tell from the postage stamp-sized scans, but it looks like there's a slight crooked miswrap at the bottom-left. shocked.gif

$415... I think.?? Looks like I made a good deal, I would post a scan, but the system always tells me my scans are to big??? I have also noticed that there are about 10 ow/w to every 1 w. maybe even more. Its books like these that makes the CGC census need for page quality to be incorporated into its numbers.

thumbsup2.gif

I seriously doubt if that PPSSM NM+ 9.8 was PRESSED. I have a hard time imagining anyone pressing Modern books. Maybe I al still living in my Neanderathal world and need to get a clue... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

CAL hi.gif

I doubt anyone was pressing books like that back in 2001, but Modern books are certainly fair game today. For example, I don't think there's any doubt that the DD #168 CGC 9.8 that Jason Ewert auctioned off recently was pressed - new books fresh off the newsstand don't look that perfectly sharp and flat, let alone a book from over 20 years ago. Now there are some who will say it's uneconomic to press a book unless it's over a grand, but I have to figure that by now every major dealer and his brother has a press in their basement and that books don't have to be sent out to a resto expert anymore (plus, I bet they could get a volume discount from those people anyway - press 10 GA/SA books, get a Modern book pressed for free! tongue.gif)

Those people (not saying who they are) who may have recently purchased a press on eBay themselves need not respond to refute this post. smirk.gif

I'm curious what people mean specifically when they discuss pressing. Is this simply putting a book in a dry book press for a month or so or using some kind of steam press? I wouldnt worry about the book press, but if there is steam or disassembly involved that seems to be a problem. Can someone clarify?

I also wish to add that at the time these books first started to realize those crazy prices the cgc census hadnt come out yet or had just been out a few months. What would a white pager sell for today I wonder?

Those people (not saying who they are) who may have recently purchased a press on eBay themselves need not respond to refute this post.

shocked.gif

or using some kind of steam press? I wouldnt worry about the book press, but if there is steam or disassembly involved that seems to be a problem.

Not steam. Comics + Water = 893naughty-thumb.gif