• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Poll - Who Will Win The UEFA Euro 2004 Football Championship?

Who do you think will win the UEFA Euro 2004 tournament?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the UEFA Euro 2004 tournament?

345 posts in this topic

I bet you were showing mixed emotions during that last 3 minutes.

3 mistakes happened on that match:

1. David Beckham should never have taken that penalty against Barthez, he would know his style from them playing together before.

2. Rooney should not have been substituted.

3. Emile Heskey - 'Nuff said

4. David James? confused-smiley-013.gif

I thought he was OK and i was really impressed with King playing in the defence.

That back pass was quite dreadful 893censored-thumb.gif

I bet you were showing mixed emotions during that last 3 minutes.

3 mistakes happened on that match:

1. David Beckham should never have taken that penalty against Barthez, he would know his style from them playing together before.

2. Rooney should not have been substituted.

3. Emile Heskey - 'Nuff said

1 - Dunno. He is the best dead ball player in the world. Barthez would have had thousands of Beckham penalty kicks in practice, for sure, but maybe David usually had the whammy on him and averaged 80%+. He certainly had the confidence to take the kick, so good luck to him. Had he scored, I'm sure we'd have closed the match out.

2 - Rooney had had a couple of moments of petulance and he is still young. I've no problems with protecting him a little.

3 - Yes, well, um....

James had a good game, but then he wasn't exactly troubled until the 90th minute.

Actually, it should wake them up. If we'd got a point or more, then the attitude would have been that we didn't have to win the remaining qualifiers and we might even have got through with 3 draws. Now it's a proper cup competition and we need 5 wins on the trot. Great stuff!

OMG, can you belevie what happened! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif I'm still speachless.

And I can't beleive the garbage I'm reading on these boards. France never played like they should and England deserved to win that game. Theres no excuses, and they will breeze through the next 2 (and if they don't, they deserve to go home!).

Rooney and King were my 'men' of the match. The biggest mistake of the game: Heskey 893frustrated.gif Why oh why do they keep flying him out when he would be better watching from home. He can't play at international level - period. He doesnt play bad, but he only comes on to fukup, nothing else.

Beckham is not to blame, the penalty was taken fine, it was just a damn good save!

Gerrard 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Overall, apart from the speachlessness of the last 3 minutes, ANY English supporter should be very happy with the way they played, and if, if ,if , they can repeat there performance, they will be in the final (with the qualifying games, QF and SF that are posted above). Although I do think we could meet France again in the final (not looked into it though, is it possible???).

And I can't beleive the garbage I'm reading on these boards.

I think your obvious bias in favor of Engand is clouding your opinion of what actually occurred last night. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Did they play better than their recent international matches? Yes. Did they play as well as some here would suggest and much better than the French. No way. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

And I can't beleive the garbage I'm reading on these boards.

I think your obvious bias in favor of Engand is clouding your opinion of what actually occurred last night. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Did they play better than their recent international matches? Yes. Did they play as well as some here would suggest and much better than the French. No way. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Seriously! Some of these comments go beyond patriotism - they're downright delusional! I can't believe that people think they can still win it all after yesterday's performance. I have to admit, I've seen some pretty creative ways to for a squad to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but trust England to come up with a way that takes the cake. foreheadslap.gif

I'm not sure about the major patriotism, but it does help a little grin.gif Truth is, I thought they were gonna go in there and completely blow it. They didnt.

They played a better game than they ever have before. For once, they played as a team, and if they can keep it tight, then why shouldnt they go all the way. The second half, France was pushing the most of the first 15 mins, but they held it off.

Fact of the matter is, they was winning for 90 minutes. Against the 'supposedly' BEST in the tournament. So doesnt this say that if they played that way throughout (which I agree is unlikely), they would beat anyone???

I also admit that they probably couldnt win if they had to play spain, Italy and France again. But if it goes the way it could, then they have a damn fine chance of reaching the final. And as finals go, even the biggest underdogs pull one out when the blood is rushing.

I'm not sure about the major patriotism, but it does help a little grin.gif Truth is, I thought they were gonna go in there and completely blow it. They didnt.

They played a better game than they ever have before. For once, they played as a team, and if they can keep it tight, then why shouldnt they go all the way. The second half, France was pushing the most of the first 15 mins, but they held it off.

Fact of the matter is, they was winning for 90 minutes. Against the 'supposedly' BEST in the tournament. So doesnt this say that if they played that way throughout (which I agree is unlikely), they would beat anyone???

I also admit that they probably couldnt win if they had to play spain, Italy and France again. But if it goes the way it could, then they have a damn fine chance of reaching the final. And as finals go, even the biggest underdogs pull one out when the blood is rushing.

OK.

Can we have the translation now?

England were not the better team.

In the first half it was a back and forth kinda game with us dominating the last 10 miutes after the goal.

The second half France destroyed us, when they lost the ball they worked together to get it back, they kept us in defence for at least 80% of the second half.

England have no chance of winning the tournament if they carry on like this.

My two cents

Some highlights of a truly unforgettable match:

Ledley King stymies King Henry as the England rear-guard holds firm:

kinghenry0613_g.jpg

Frank Lampard makes his case for a massive pay raise next season at the Bridge and puts England in front, 1-0!

_40268329_lampard300x245.jpg

Wayne Rooney, the Great English Hope, wins a penalty to give England a chance to put this match away:

rooneypen0613_g.jpg

The England skipper strikes the ball well...

_40268323_beckham300x200.jpg

...but Barthez shows that Jesus isn't the only one who saves! Still 1-0 to England.

barthez0613_e2.jpg

Disaster for England as Zidane does his best "Bend It Like Beckham" impression. 1-1!

zzfreekick0613_g.jpg

A clinical finish from the penalty spot leaves David James picking the ball out from the back of the net again in added time. Holy shades of the 1999 Champions League final, Batman! 2-1 to Les Bleus.

zidane0613_e2.jpg

Jubilation for the victors...

_40268345_zidane300x200.jpg

...as the blundering Heskey and Gerrard leave the pitch to rue their individual errors which led to France's first and second goals, respectively.

heskgerr0613_g.jpg

It was one for the ages, man. grin.gif Plus, I bet most of the Americans who have posted on this thread missed the match, given that you had to pony up $20 to see it here either on pay-per-view or at a pub. wink.gif

Good luck against the Swiss.

Good luck against the Swiss.

It's death or glory with that match. A draw or loss will send us home, most likely. I feel there'll be more schadenfreude to come.

Ah well, at least we won the cricket series against New Zealand. What d'you mean, so what?

Well, I just saw the highlights of today's matches as well as yesterday's Switzerland-Croatia match. I don't think England will have any problem with Switzerland - they look worse than a typical squad from the Nationwide League. foreheadslap.gif

Wow, Larsson's brace for Sweden was brilliant. 893applaud-thumb.gif But the ref should have shown Totti straight red for that studs-up professional foul at the end of the Italy-Denmark match. mad.gif

I bet most of the Americans who have posted on this thread missed the match, given that you had to pony up $20 to see it here either on pay-per-view or at a pub.

This is insane. One of the premier soccer tournaments in the world and US viewers have to pony up extra money to see it. Between SKY satellite and cable, I have at least three different channels to see any game without paying extra.

And people wonder why Americans don't embrace the game...... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Jim

And people wonder why Americans don't embrace the game...... 893naughty-thumb.gif

I think they don't embrace the game because it would mean playing a team sport against foreigners. tongue.gif