• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Poll - Who Will Win The UEFA Euro 2004 Football Championship?

Who do you think will win the UEFA Euro 2004 tournament?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the UEFA Euro 2004 tournament?

345 posts in this topic

Oh C'mon... you whine like those Brits after France beat them. grin.gif

Apples & oranges, mon ami - France beat 'em fair and square. mad.gif The Dutch were flat-out robbed by a poor referee and that cheater Nedved - the apt comparison should not be with that England v. France match but with Maradona and his Hand of God nonsense vs. England in '86.

England v. France match but with Maradona and his Hand of God nonsense vs. England in '86.

Now THAT was a bad referee. 893frustrated.gif

And can there be any worse cheats in world football than the Argetinians? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If this was a "great" match, then I guess we'll have to include Argentina's 1986 and 1998 World Cup victories over England as "great" matches and hail Maradona and Diego Simeone as heroes instead of cheaters. mad.gif893frustrated.gif

Both those matches were great despite the result. Maradona's cheating didn't bother me as these things happen all the time. Plus, he also scored one of the greatest goals of all time in that match, surpassed in my eyes by only the great George Weah goal in the Italian league a few years back.

As I watched the first half last night, my mind went back to England v Poland at Wembley in 1973, but fortunately we managed to score and then the floodgates opened a bit. Phew!

Yes, with the impregnable Neville brothers shoring up the England back line and fearsome likes of Rooney, Heskey and Vassell pairing up Owen up front, I'm sure the rest of Europe is quaking in their football boots!! 27_laughing.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Yes, with the impregnable Neville brothers shoring up the England back line and fearsome likes of Rooney, Heskey and Vassell pairing up Owen up front, I'm sure the rest of Europe is quaking in their football boots!! 27_laughing.gif

foreheadslap.gif

thumbsup2.gif But I don't dare gloat too much, as I tipped Spain to win. crazy.gifgrin.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Hey, but was I right about Owen, or what? confused-smiley-013.gif

As for Rooney, he's having a great tournament, but I can't wait to see him self-destruct like Gazza in the future. You know it makes sense. 27_laughing.gif

Hey, but was I right about Owen, or what? confused-smiley-013.gif

As for Rooney, he's having a great tournament, but I can't wait to see him self-destruct like Gazza in the future. You know it makes sense. 27_laughing.gif

Or what.

Owen has played well and has made most of the goals his teammates have scored. The fact that he hasn't scored hasn't stopped him contributing.

Will Rooney self destruct before or after the market corrects itself? Which will give you more pleasure? Gascoigne ended up with a 3-bottles-of-whisky-a-day habit that almost killed him. Is that what you'd like for Rooney?

" 27_laughing.gif"

England wouldnt be the highest scorers in the tournament with the best player in the tournament if it was'nt for Owen 893frustrated.gif

Just because Rooney is young, doesnt mean he isnt AMAZING! I didnt know too much about him before this tournament, but now cloud9.gif

Hey, I just call 'em like I see 'em. Rooney's a young hot-head who plays a very physical game and I can easily see him failing to live up to his newfound hype either through injury or self-destruction. He even looks a bit like Gazza to me! Also, 3 good matches in Euro 2004 does not guarantee superstar status. Beware the team that lays out 30 to 50 million quid for him. As for Owen, I don't know too many people who wouldn't be disappointed in his overall performance so far.

The market will crash regardless of the fortunes of these two individuals. tongue.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

Oh, come on - bashing the opposition is all part of football! Footie wouldn't be footie if people merely "kind of liked" or "politely disliked" players, managers, clubs and national teams - you've got to either LOVE or HATE them!!!

Gascoigne ended up with a 3-bottles-of-whisky-a-day habit that almost killed him.

That man's a saint! Give him some respect.....he was one of my favorite English players in EURO96.....

Jim

Beware the team that lays out 30 to 50 million quid for him.

They were saying during last night's match that Porto may be interested.....

Jim

That would be a stupid move for both sides! Rooney needs exposure to play in a top league, and realistically England is his only option with his style of play. I'm sure he'd be very frustrated in Spain or Italy with defenders hitting the floor at the slightest touch from him.

I just noted the Gazza/Rooney analogy to my English colleague here. His response: "If you don't believe that they're going down EXACTLY the same path, you're wrong." 27_laughing.gif