• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your UNPUBLISHED Art (not commissions)!

34 posts in this topic

Only unpublished piece I have is this Vision pin-up by John Eboigbe. He says he did two pin-ups for Avengers #381 and they chose the other one over this. I've never been inclined to track down the issue to verify but why would someone lie about something so easy to check on?

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=426224&GSub=118010

Mike Mayhew's unpublished cover to PULSE # 2:

Pulse-unpub-test-.jpg

Dell'Otto's published cover (that replaced it):

201005.jpg

Although Mike's art was never used as originally intended, it was later published as an interior illustration for a collected edition.

An unpublished cover by Simone Bianchi.

It was done as a possible cover for Marvel Italia.

That version was not published as definite cover but is published on Simone Bianchi first artbook, "Echi".

(Special thanks to Gloria from www.simonebianchi.com for the informations)

Bianchi%20Spider-Man.jpg

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=810869&GSub=120668

Bianchi signature is easy to miss, since, at that time, he signed on the side, and left a lot of space between the letters.

There is another one with Spidey and Doc in the galleries of this website which may have been the final choice : http://www.simonebianchi.com/immagini/SPIDERMAN.jpg?image_id=148

CAPT_20ATOM20unpub.jpg

CAPTAIN ATOM # 90 unpublished cover (1967) by Steve Ditko

Interesting story behind this one . . .

This cover was offered through Heritage in 2008 . . . being listed as the unpublished (alternative) cover to CAPTAIN ATOM # 89 (December 1967).

Steve Fishler owns the published CAPTAIN ATOM # 89 cover and, curiously enough, when I looked at the image in Steve's (awesome) CAF Galleries, I noticed that his # 89 cover is actually numbered up for the October # 88 issue . . .

captainatom88.jpg

CAPTAIN ATOM # 89 cover (owned by Steve Fishler) numbered as # 88

My belief is that Steve Fishler's cover was intended for CAPTAIN ATOM # 88, but was re-scheduled (along with its accompanying story) to become # 89.

34283.jpg

CAPTAIN ATOM # 89 printed cover

So, to recap on all of this . . . the unpublished cover presented here (at the beginning of this post) was originally intended for # 89 . . . was then re-scheduled for # 90 . . . but never saw print as the title got cancelled with # 89!

Some years later, the accompanying (unpublished) story, aborted in pencil stage by Ditko, was inked by John Byrne and finally saw publication over two consecutive issues of the 1970s CHARLTON BULLSEYE fanzine.

To break the story up into two parts, this unused cover was actually published as the Part 2 splash page. The story recap & title elements were incorporated as paste-ups (now removed - though slight traces of glue residue can still be detected where they once existed).

The CAPTAIN ATOM logo is now back in position (showing where the December date and # 89 issue details were removed when the re-shuffle took place).

This cover appears to be both penciled and inked by Ditko (there is a solo signature whereas earlier covers sport joint signatures such as Ditko/Rocke or Ditko/McLaughlin).

So here you have the original CAPTAIN ATOM # 89 cover (December 1967) . . . re-scheduled for # 90 (but unpublished) . . .which also served as a mid-1970s published Part 2 story splash!

Hope I’ve not lost anyone!

Picked this one up from a fellow board member last week. I figured this was appropriate with the return of Valiant and XO Manowar just around the corner.

This is the original unpublished cover to XO Manowar #1 by Bob Layton! I was told that Jim Shooter thought that the helmet didn't look right and Aric's face looked too mean so he had Bob redraw it.

In the margin in blue pencil it says "helmet too 'comic book'" ..... also at the bottom there is another blue pencil note but it's very feint. I think it says "This is not loboman!!!" probably referring to the fact that the facial expression was more of a "Lobo" face than an Aric face.

UnpublishedXO.jpg

In the 1960s, Sheldon Mayer tried to get Sugar and Spike picked up as a Newspaper strip. This unpublished 2x page seems to be a sample of what a Sunday strip would look like. You can read about this in some detail on the CAF by clicking here.

I used the Vast Unpaid Research group (DC and Gormuu Message Boards) to get information on the piece. I wasn't aware of this group at the time. Maybe you folks can tell me more about it.

Here's the image:

SugarAndSpikeByMayer(smaller,%20restored).jpg