• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you rather a good sketch or a rare sketch?

Rare sketch V Good sketch  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Rare sketch V Good sketch

64 posts in this topic

If I had the option of a Walt Simonson quick sketch or the vass amounts of unknown artists doing 'commissions'...I can tell you the long term value and greatness will be in the Walt Simonson.

5 years from now I will be right and there will be a lot of people with sketches from people working at car dealerships...

Greatness will always be with Walt Simonson Sketches. ^^

I think a lot of the 'unknowns' do much nicer sketches than some I see selling for crazy prices.

I am not the type of person who devalues others work, so I think a sketch is 'worth' what your willing to pay. Its 'goodness' depends on how you feel about it I guess.

A Good sketch is always at the top of my list. The problem with "rare" sketches is that when people are willing to pay ridiculous prices, it tends to drive up the general market prices as well.

Prime example:

Artist A is a well published artist, and only attends several shows a year. He's not a legend, but is considered rare. So Fan A decides that he is willing to offer a high amount for sketches to Artist A. Now Artist A drives his prices through the roof, making it almost impossible for anyone else to get a sketch.

Artist B is an artist who attends multiple shows a year, and has a large fan base. He/She is published on several markets. Artist B, believes that everyone deserves a sketch, so he keeps his prices simple and low. Artist B doesn't care what you do with the sketch afterward, because you purchased it from him at a fair market value.

I would take Artist B over Artist A. :)

Good over rare any day of the week.

I know what I like and when I go after a sketch I look for an artist that can draw what I like. If it is an unknown artist or a well known artist. I have a few artists that I follow and just collect their work because it is their work. But other than that I just collect what I like. I mean my Alien sketch cover is done by a tattoo artist that was at a con but I saw some of his aliens and wanted one. He even did it in ball point pen! It is just as awesome as my Linsner covers to me. I have no intention of selling any of my sketches so they are just for me so the value of having some big time artist do them or a little guy makes me no difference.

Personally I'd go with the rare sketch, especially if its by an artist I really like. I have bought OA that wasn't the greatest, but got it because it was by a particular artist.

So say Hell froze over and Byrne shows up at a con and I have a choice between him doing a quick 2 min. sketch or having some other lesser known artist whom I don't know do me a detailed sketch that takes 20 mins. I will take the Byrne everytime.

So I have an additional poll I would like to see...

Lets say you have two sketches same artist on both. One is a decent single figure, quick con sketch, 9.8

Same artist, amazing full background fight scene, lets go crazy and say 5.0...

Which one do you choose?

Nice topic Lloyd

The rare artist is the mentor, and the up and coming artist is the disciple

An NBA champion is the mentor, the red-shirted college player is the disciple

A redshirt has more to prove. He's trying to get noticed and reach a status(if at all possible) of the NBA champion. And he's hungry

The champion has fought his battles, and proven time and time again who he is. It's an honor to watch him play

To sum it up :preach:, the mentor would like the disciple to carry on tradition. The disciple needs the mentor as an example. Both are important in their own right, the up and coming and the icons 2c long winded but true lol

In the end if some people have the foresight to get the right up and comers that actually translate to big time then all power to that. If someone got Olivier Coipel 8 years ago or McNiven before they blew up then thats a real skill

In the end if some people have the foresight to get the right up and comers that actually translate to big time then all power to that. If someone got Olivier Coipel 8 years ago or McNiven before they blew up then thats a real skill

Good analogy, but have we seen any of the opps out of hundreds become the next anything? And I pose that as a question that I am truly looking for an example, actually a few examples. Sketch covers have been around how many years now?

I have said it before and will say it again, the day is coming when the market will correct itself. Make sure the stock you are holding is something you really want to hold and cherish and cuddle. If you are cool with that, I am also, but...

you are overpaying the market in a major way for a lot of people.

Love to all and I enjoy hearing all sides, makes for more knowledge for everyone good or bad...

The only example i can think of, of someone not being big at the start of sketch covers and is now big or rising would be Clay Mann, there's no doubt in my mind that he will be going places only trouble with that is that unlike other artists that started really small and grow and their prices grow accordingly is that clay's books already cost 150+ or 200 in a sketch opp guys like Coipel who charge 500$+ for a full fig now only charged 100$ 4 years ago (pre-siege)

Good analogy, but have we seen any of the opps out of hundreds become the next anything? And I pose that as a question that I am truly looking for an example, actually a few examples. Sketch covers have been around how many years now?

I have said it before and will say it again, the day is coming when the market will correct itself. Make sure the stock you are holding is something you really want to hold and cherish and cuddle. If you are cool with that, I am also, but...

Love to all and I enjoy hearing all sides, makes for more knowledge for everyone good or bad...

A reading from the gospel of Jon. :worship:

A reading from the gospel of Jon. :worship:

(worship)

Nice topic Lloyd

The rare artist is the mentor, and the up and coming artist is the disciple

An NBA champion is the mentor, the red-shirted college player is the disciple

A redshirt has more to prove. He's trying to get noticed and reach a status(if at all possible) of the NBA champion. And he's hungry

The champion has fought his battles, and proven time and time again who he is. It's an honor to watch him play

To sum it up :preach:, the mentor would like the disciple to carry on tradition. The disciple needs the mentor as an example. Both are important in their own right, the up and coming and the icons 2c long winded but true lol

Very well written!

You summed up what I really wanted to say. When I look at up and comers, I obviously look at their skill and detail in rendering an image. But if possible, I like to look at a story page from them as well to get a feel for their ability to tell a story. I figure if they can actually tell a story and do something other than just covers or pin ups, they have a future in the business. I will go to those artists again and again.

Another thing I look at is whether the artist's work speaks to me. I love what Matt Kindt does. I don't have a solid reason why because his style isn't usually what I go for, but something about it just stands out for me. I think he has a future as an indy creator and I hope me makes it in the mainstream, just so I can see more from him.

I simply like what I like. I want to get creators to draw their creation or their best known characters for me and this is what sketches allow. I can get a nice piece without completely breaking the bank. I would certainly prefer to branch out into OA, but sketches are probably where I will stay for a long time. All that said, a good sketch will come in before a rare sketch any day of the week. I would stab any of you in the neck for a Steranko sketch in a hot second, because what I have seen from him is both incredibly rare and incredibly good.

A correction is coming, without a doubt, and I am guilty of paying too much for some of these things, but I also really enjoy them. I like that the CGC cases make them easy to store, allow decent display, and come in a uniform size. Like I said in my last post, it also allows me a quality piece without breaking the bank.

I've got a sweet Colan sketch of Cap in action, but a page with even just a similar sized and quality panel would have set me back double the price. I like that I get the best of both worlds in that I get what that artist is known for and I get a nice image.

On the flip side, I've got a page by Al Williamson and Frank Frazetta that has pretty much nothing on it. There's some cowboys and John Wayne in a panel or two, but overall the page is pretty unremarkable despite coming from two honest to goodness legends.

The page will likely hold its value over the long run, but the Cap sketch has more eye appeal.

I'll take the Cap.