• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark days for the CGC Highly dissappointed....

83 posts in this topic

Looking at the corner and spine, I'd be overjoyed to get a 9.0

Based upon that abrasion on the spine, 9.0 appears to be the top grade allowable. I have an FF 57 that is pristine otherwise, with a very similar abrasion, and it came back 9.0. I also was disappointed, but then I learned how to grade according to CGC's standards as opposed to the n00b favorite - "But It Looks So PrettyTM" grading standard.

I think Smegma is the guy who turned up on Ebay awhile ago with his new grading system that was going to put CGC out of business.

A doomed venture! It's hard to appear credible when you name yourself after damp and smelly foreskin lint. :sick:

I think Smegma is the guy who turned up on Ebay awhile ago with his new grading system that was going to put CGC out of business.

A doomed venture! It's hard to appear credible when you name yourself after damp and smelly foreskin lint. :sick:

lollol:flamed:

Does Smegma Guy have a sidekick named Pissboy?

Love the people that cant grade then get mad when they submit a book and its not the grade they wanted it to be lol

Wonder what ever happened to the guy who kept trying to submit Watchmen #1's but couldn't get a 9.8 and came on here complaining and raising he11. That was especially funny.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned so far that this is a Robojo33 book.

JLA#7 ended Feb 9

If the buyer is still here, he should do a search under sellers name then return book for a refund and file appropriate feedback.

It is possible that it is not the same book. It is also possible the auction pic may have been manipulated. Or simply as has been stated many times, that the angle of the pics hides numerous flaws. Why else would someone regularly sell 4 figure books without a scanner?

You definitely have a point there.

Those two spine stresses on the bottom left look to be identical, which means they are very possibly the same books.

What is curious is what happened to the chafe at the bottom of the spine.

Looks to me like the Robojo picture is doctored to make the bottom of the book longer and hide the wear on the book.

JLA7comparison.jpg

Those two spine stresses on the bottom left look to be identical, which means they are very possibly the same books.

Looks to me like the Robojo picture is doctored to make the bottom of the book longer and hide the wear on the book.

JLA7comparison.jpg

There are things you can do to a book that will temporarily make defects like that less visible. I am sure Danny boy is up on all the newest techniques.

There are things you can do to a book that will temporarily make defects like that less visible. I am sure Danny boy is up on all the newest techniques.

True, but when you compare the pics of both books the bottom of the robojo book appears to have much more material to it...the book looks longer.

I think the pic has been doctored but I could be wrong.

True, but when you compare the pics of both books the bottom of the robojo book appears to have much more material to it...the book looks longer.

I think the pic has been doctored but I could be wrong.

A Roboblo picture doctored? Now that would be a surprise. lol

Love the people that cant grade then get mad when they submit a book and its not the grade they wanted it to be lol

Wonder what ever happened to the guy who kept trying to submit Watchmen #1's but couldn't get a 9.8 and came on here complaining and raising he11. That was especially funny.

akanni23 is still around. What a frickin' nutter.

Ok, I have seen too many 9.2 to 9.6 books that have similar defects that make you scratch your head and say how is that a NM range books when the color is broken at those stress marks or tiny corner creases that just barely break the color? That does not mean you should expect that same "gift" grade when submitting 1 book. Problem is while Overstreet clearly states you can't have these defects in NM, CGC does not publish their grading guide, so until they publish their grading standards (never) it will a subjective number that may not always jive with other CGC graded books you see. That is why I think it is important to see a large and detailed scan of the book before you buy it (CGC graded or not) so you are not just buying a number at the top of a slab that you (and maybe many people) might not agree with at least in the extreme cases. When submitting one book that you disagree with the CGC grading on, of course you may feel they picked on you (the little guy) with a tighter grade than expected. When you submit 30 books, you will see it evens out a bit more. Plenty grades about right, a few over and a few under what you expected, but it mostly evens out.

I am pretty sure the graders don't know who a book is from when grading. Graders knowing of a famous original owner GA pedigree find and then having a bunch of rare high grade golden age keys appear in front of them may pose a possible exception???

i think they undergrade some too, its like gymastics, there is no 10 so they start at 9.8. What i really hate is that they dont supply you with what the book was marked down for. I even think they should put it on the back of the label so when your buying one you can see what it was dinged for.

I could not agree with you more.

What I don't understand is why comic collector's do not demand an explanation.

Would a detailed explanation of the grade not solve the whole issue?

i think they undergrade some too, its like gymastics, there is no 10 so they start at 9.8. What i really hate is that they dont supply you with what the book was marked down for. I even think they should put it on the back of the label so when your buying one you can see what it was dinged for.

I could not agree with you more.

What I don't understand is why comic collector's do not demand an explanation.

Would a detailed explanation of the grade not solve the whole issue?

We've asked multiple times over the years. It's not going to happen.

If they start listing every defect on every book, they will be giving away the "secret formula". As we've seen, grading has gone thru various cycles of tighter and looser periods. They start listing all the defects, they'll be opening an enormous can of worms. It won't happen.

Considering they grade 100's or possibly 1000's of books a day, if they were making a notation of every defect it also might delay grading.