• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading question on this Avengers 17

24 posts in this topic

Thanks guys. I had it as a 9.0, but didn't know what to factor in on the overspray. I would probably be happy with an 8.5 as I thought the overspray could have down graded it more than that. Hopefully CGC doesn't down grade for it as I've got a run of Avengers in that area that all have it.

Sorry, but it might go as far down as an 8.0.

Of course I've been holding down 24th place for two weeks in Niko's contest, so what the F do I know? insane.gif

Looks 8.5/9.0 without the paint job.

Take off one notch for it:

8.0/8.5

Nice book in spite of the spray. thumbsup2.gif

This and 18 are among my least favorite Avengers covers from that part of the run. Compare them to the dynamic compositions found in 15,16, 19, 20, 21,21 etc.

Technically, I think CGC doesn't take much if anything off for overspray unless it's some outrageous example (and this doesn't fit the bill IMHO).

On the other hand, if you are looking to sell this book, it may not get as much as a similiarly graded comic because of the overspray.

Does that make sense?

BTW, I rate it a VF+ with no reduction for the overspray.

Well, if it's distributor's ink and not something else, and the back cover is clean, then I'd easily grade it an 8.5 perhaps a 9.0. Nicely cut for this issue.

It's a sweet looking copy! laugh.gifthumbsup2.gif

The book looks like a 8.5 to my eyes and that is not knowing what the back cover looks like which I am to assume nice. I sent in a spidey 138 with something like your book but not as bad and it came back a 9.6 so I dont think CGC takes off a lot for this but I could be wrong and am only speaking from experience!

Davidking623

It doesn't bother me as much as it blends in, IMO. Would rather have that book than one with writing on the cover.

Brian

It used to not bother me at all. Then, about 2 years ago I discovered these boards. You look at the damn things completely different now. Appreciate all the comments guys.

Mark

It used to not bother me at all. Then, about 2 years ago I discovered these boards. You look at the damn things completely different now. Appreciate all the comments guys.

As said before, the overspray will have no effect on the grade CGC gives the book. But many buyers will stay away from the book for that exact reason. I know I have gotten a lot more selective in the books I buy, and will almost never buy a book with overspray that shows on the front cover. Now if I can't see it (because of a dark cover) and it's on the back a little bit, that doesn't bother me as much.

As time goes on, and prices on books get higher, Quality of Production will matter more, regardless of CGC's stance on not downgrading for QP (IMO).

Hi, I dont know if this is the same type of overspray as yours.. but thought it was worth showing as a similar CGC graded type of comic with overspray flaw

Cap109paintoverspray.jpg

And without seeing the back cover of yours.. 8.5 seems about right.

Still a very, very nice book..

I see you posted a scan of #14.. how many in the run do you have?

and why do thay have similar overspray on top edge?

And among my fav Avengers covers are #7, #12, and #93

But I am partial to Cappy and Thor..

Zeman