• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recollecting the Rockford Collection

197 posts in this topic

I was standing at a dealer's table when Mark Wilson came lumbering up carrying one of those extra-large, double-wide, briefcases. He made mention of a new collection and proceeded to pile a bunch of Rockfords on the table.

I was stunned - these books looked brand new! However, upon looking at the insides, they were tanning with brown halos. That pretty much killed all interest for me.

Then Mark pulled out a Detective (I can't remember which number), and it was bone white on the inside. But by then, a small crowd had started to gather and I just simply walked away.

Being a PQ guy, Rockfords and Crowleys are probably my least favorite pedigrees, but I certainly appreciate that others really like the collection.

lotta crippens with less than stellar pq, as well.

church

'frisco

larson

chicago, and

allentown is how my fave ped list would go. chicago so high since i'm a timely guy.

Interesting list!

I would probably put the Allentown's ahead of the Larson's due to the PQ, as many of the Larson's have that foxing due to the poor storage environment involved. In addition, many of the Larson's are more in the 8.0 to 9.0 grade range, whereas the Allentown's are more in the 9.0+ grade range.

I was standing at a dealer's table when Mark Wilson came lumbering up carrying one of those extra-large, double-wide, briefcases. He made mention of a new collection and proceeded to pile a bunch of Rockfords on the table.

I was stunned - these books looked brand new! However, upon looking at the insides, they were tanning with brown halos. That pretty much killed all interest for me.

Then Mark pulled out a Detective (I can't remember which number), and it was bone white on the inside. But by then, a small crowd had started to gather and I just simply walked away.

Being a PQ guy, Rockfords and Crowleys are probably my least favorite pedigrees, but I certainly appreciate that others really like the collection.

church

'frisco

larson

chicago, and

allentown is how my fave ped list would go. chicago so high since i'm a timely guy.

Interesting list!

I would probably put the Allentown's ahead of the Larson's due to the PQ, as many of the Larson's have that foxing due to the poor storage environment involved. In addition, many of the Larson's are more in the 8.0 to 9.0 grade range, whereas the Allentown's are more in the 9.0+ grade range.

I think there is a lot of veneration for the Larson's, regardless of the defects. But the Allentowns are wonderful in their own way.

Steve's comment about the Rockfords is one many would agree with. I recall controversy at the time because some argued they should not be considered a true ped.

I think one of the reasons Billy, and many of us Timely collectors, put Larson's so high is because that collection had so many nice Timelys in it. And many of the Larson Timelys are very nice. There are not that many Timely Allentowns. I definitely agree now that overall the Allentowns are much nicer books. But it took a while for me to actually get any of them and experience it first hand. I would still place Larsons higher on my personal preference list simply because I've had first hand experience with those books going all the way back to the mid '70s when I saw a killer Daring Mystery #5 with writing on the cover in a batch of golden age comics...

daring5.jpg

I've been chasing Larsons ever since.

church

'frisco

larson

chicago, and

Interesting list!

I think there is a lot of veneration for the Larson's, regardless of the defects. But the Allentowns are wonderful in their own way.

Steve's comment about the Rockfords is one many would agree with. I recall controversy at the time because some argued they should not be considered a true ped.

I "venerate" all the time about Larsons......jb

church

'frisco

larson

chicago, and

Interesting list!

How would you put it Jon? Why are Larsons so affectionately regarded?

The history is known about the books, so that makes them like "a friend". WHITE PAGES all the time. Yeah, yeah foxing. Does not bother me at all. In fact, it helps identify the books. Time period....1936- Sept 1941...fundamental era

I got into Larsons when I started collecting Centaurs....some times the only copy I could find

Technically they may grade lower, but as a "comicbook" they are just plain "nice".

Finally, obtaining the list, finding the story behind the books and the kid behind the books was a hoot.

Just made it one of my buds. ......and for those that have "Larson" scribed across the cover just gives me that instant rush...

Finally, it just boils down to the fact that I am a nerd.....jb

church

'frisco

larson

chicago, and

Interesting list!

church

'frisco

larson

chicago, and

Interesting list!

The history is known about the books, so that makes them like "a friend". WHITE PAGES all the time. Yeah, yeah foxing. Does not bother me at all. In fact, it helps identify the books. Time period....1936- Sept 1941...fundamental era

I got into Larsons when I started collecting Centaurs....some times the only copy I could find

Technically they may grade lower, but as a "comicbook" they are just plain "nice".

Finally, obtaining the list, finding the story behind the books and the kid behind the books was a hoot.

Just made it one of my buds. ......and for those that have "Larson" scribed across the cover just gives me that instant rush...

church

'frisco

larson

chicago, and

Interesting list!

Yes, But you are my kind of nerd!

church

'frisco

larson

chicago, and

Interesting list!

Eloquently put (but no surprise there)! Often with the top pedigrees the books are so darned perfect they seem unreal. As was once said of Michelangelo, who pretty much everyone would agree is the greatest artist who ever lived, the perfection of his work inspires awe and profound admiration - but not love.

Larsons inspire love, as well as admiration. We engage with the narrative as well as the object.

[...]

Eloquently put (but no surprise there)! Often with the top pedigrees the books are so darned perfect they seem unreal. As was once said of Michelangelo, who pretty much everyone would agree is the greatest artist who ever lived, the perfection of his work inspires awe and profound admiration - but not love.

Larsons inspire love, as well as admiration. We engage with the narrative as well as the object.

Very nice posts with some profound and important observations. Comics collecting has long been moving towards quantitative measures in the form of numerical grades, prices, registry scores etc. Numbers are necessary and can be fun and educational, but intangible qualities like those jbcomicbox describe is where collecting starts and ends. It would be a very hollow pursuit indeed if you were to remove those sentiments and just be left with the numbers.

[...]

Very nice posts with some profound and important observations. Comics collecting has long been moving towards quantitative measures in the form of numerical grades, prices, registry scores etc. Numbers are necessary and can be fun and educational, but intangible qualities like those jbcomicbox describe is where collecting starts and ends. It would be a very hollow pursuit indeed if you were to remove those sentiments and just be left with the numbers.

In art lectures I've occasionally argued that figurative painting is often abstract while abstract art is frequently anything but. (A photorealist painting can be cold and distancing for instance, where an abstract expressionist painting engages our emotions, and sometimes - in the case say of Rothko - may even inspire a sense of the ineffable.)

I totally agree with the sentiment expressed in the preceding post- all I would suggest (with great respect) is that it is the intangible qualities which are actually tangible (because we feel them), while it is the "quantitative measures" which are abstract (because we measure them).

“What shall I do, singer and first-born, in a

world where the deepest black is grey,

and inspiration is kept in a thermos?

with all this immensity

in a measured world? ”

Marina Tsvetaeva, Selected Poems

― Marina Tsvetaeva again:

“There are books so alive that you're always afraid that while you weren't reading, the book has gone and changed, has shifted like a river; while you went on living, it went on living too, and like a river moved on and moved away. No one has stepped twice into the same river. But did anyone ever step twice into the same book?”