• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - LOTR

103 posts in this topic

nope. Just occurred to me. Night of, and Dawn of, one more decent one and you would have had a pretty decent horror trilogy. Romero laid an egg with number 3.

okay for a second there I thought you thought that Day of the Dead was part of the Evil Dead series.

another trilogy that has not been mentioned although it's in my top 10, could have been better.

Jurassic Park

nope. Just occurred to me. Night of, and Dawn of, one more decent one and you would have had a pretty decent horror trilogy. Romero laid an egg with number 3.

okay for a second there I thought you thought that Day of the Dead was part of the Evil Dead series.

another trilogy that has not been mentioned although it's in my top 10, could have been better.

Jurassic Park

saw one and two...but not three, was it any good?

Jurassic Park

saw one and two...but not three, was it any good?

JP III?

I liked the Pteryodactyls (sp?). Really cool Aviary effect. Other than that not much. Still neat to see the dinosaurs.

btw -- the best line of the LOTR trilogy was in the third one:

Legolas had jumped up on one of the giant Elephants and had brought it down right in from of Gimili.... Gimili looks at him and says "That still only counts as one (kill)"! 27_laughing.gif

another trilogy that hasn't been mentioned, although it could be argues very strongly that the third film was pure trash.

Poltergeist.

many of the horror films also.

Halloween

Nightmare on Elm Street

Friday the 13th

Jurassic Park

They totally missed out on a huge opportunity with Jurassic Park (II and III)...

In the BOOK for "The Lost World" (supposedly the basis for Jurassic Park II),

Michael Crichton wrote of nine-foot carnivorous CHAMELEON dinosaurs

that even the raptors were afraid of.

Those would have been awesome on the big screen. sumo.gif

I liked the Pteryodactyls (sp?). Really cool Aviary effect. Other than that not much. Still neat to see the dinosaurs.

The Spinosaurus versus Tyrannosaur battle was VERY cool. That was the first "battle of the titans"-type fight in all three films...too bad there weren't more of those. The story, plot, characters, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah are irrelevant to me when I watch those films...it's all about bringing the dinos back to life! cloud9.gif

Jurassic Park

They totally missed out on a huge opportunity with Jurassic Park (II and III)...

In the BOOK for "The Lost World" (supposedly the basis for Jurassic Park II),

Michael Crichton wrote of nine-foot carnivorous CHAMELEON dinosaurs

that even the raptors were afraid of.

Those would have been awesome on the big screen. sumo.gif

I haven't read Crichton's books at all. Did he just write a book for the first two, not writing anything for the premise of the third movie? Are the books any good?

The Spinosaurus versus Tyrannosaur battle was VERY cool. That was the first "battle of the titans"-type fight in all three films...too bad there weren't more of those. The story, plot, characters, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah are irrelevant to me when I watch those films...it's all about bringing the dinos back to life! cloud9.gif

yeah, that's why I love that trilogy, it's all about the effects. I actually liked Jeff Goldblum's character though.

Did he just write a book for the first two, not writing anything for the premise of the third movie? Are the books any good?

The books are an easy, fast read...I tore through them both in two nights total during a vacation last year, which is rare because I usually take weeks reading novels these days. I read them long after seeing the films and enjoyed them.

Not much from JP3 was in the novels, although the pterodactyl bird cage was in the first book.

btw -- the best line of the LOTR trilogy was in the third one:

Legolas had jumped up on one of the giant Elephants and had brought it down right in from of Gimili.... Gimili looks at him and says "That still only counts as one (kill)"! 27_laughing.gif

i agree with Deathlok.

LOTR is by far the best Trilogy over a 3 movie period.

Alot of Trilogies had 1 first great movie..(Matrix, Predator, Raiders of The Lost Ark.. etc..

And other Trilogies had 2 great movies out of 3.. Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien, Back to the Future etc..

But I think LOTR has the unique distinction of being solid in all 3 movies, that compliment each other.. yet stand alone as single movies.

After watching 3 hours of DVD extras on Return of the King.. and seeing how Peter Jackson barely was able to pull of making these .. my hat is off to him for creating all 3 movies at the same time.. and getting all that he did out of the actors when they had to film all 3 movies out of context , and yet needed to convey emotion in their charecter's that is so hard to pull off in close up shots on a large movie screen.

And I will argue to my grave.. that George Lucas say's he originally imagined Star Wars as a 6 part story..

BS.. total BS

BS.......... booo.... GL: the first 3 movies made money.. and you did all you could to come up with a convincing back story to fill 3 more movie chapters.

Well you should have had someone else direct your movies George.. cause you stink at it now.

Really Really Stink at it.No really you stink .. understand?

You lost it.

American Graffitti .. loved it.. SWPOTM.. hated it.. I mean hate.. and I rarely use hate in a sentence.

Matrix 2.. ok I was dissapointed. with it on many levels.. but I liked it..

. but Matrix 3..

I wanted my money back.. dont get me started..

LOTR is best trilogy ever..

period.

sign-rantpost.gifrant is over.....

Did he just write a book for the first two, not writing anything for the premise of the third movie? Are the books any good?

The books are an easy, fast read...I tore through them both in two nights total during a vacation last year, which is rare because I usually take weeks reading novels these days. I read them long after seeing the films and enjoyed them.

Not much from JP3 was in the novels, although the pterodactyl bird cage was in the first book.

I wonder if this franchise is at an end, becuase of how bad the third one was.

I totally agree, and Jurassic Park II was a real joke. It was like Spielberg thought he was a better story-teller and commissioned a -script that broke totally away from the novel, and definitely not for the better.

The sad part is, they'll never rediscover the magic now.

My Picks:

1. Star Wars Original Trilogy (not the bastardized SE or horrific New Trilogy)

2. LOTR (though Two Towers kinda stunk)

3. Indiana Jones (would be higher if not the second installment)

4. Back to the Future

And I will argue to my grave.. that George Lucas say's he originally imagined Star Wars as a 6 part story..

BS.. total BS

BS.......... booo.... GL: the first 3 movies made money.. and you did all you could to come up with a convincing back story to fill 3 more movie chapters.

Huh? What do you mean? I thought he had envisioned it as a 9-part story...are you saying he didn't even have 6 in mind?

BS.. total BS

Huh? What do you mean? I thought he had envisioned it as a 9-part story...are you saying he didn't even have 6 in mind?

Since he named the 1977 movie "Episode IV - A New Hope", I'm thinking he at least

envisioned three chapters prior to the original. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BS.. total BS

I read somewhere or heard him say that he had written an outline for six chapters, as part of a nine part story.