• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do...

159 posts in this topic

"Sure you would leave something on the table but maybe get a real loyal and happy customer for life out of it"

Really? A loyal customer who is basically playing you with all his recent sales games. Well that game just blew up in his face.

I think if he were such a loyal customer he wouldn't have done that in the first place.

Yes, Richard would be taking the high road by honoring his $4700 sales price

Agreed, but that's such a high road it's the friggin Rainbow Bridge.

What does this guy expect, to come back after the book sells over and over again for more money and try to get it for the same $4700?

Richie should just put the book back on the wall and say the market is moving upward on the book and he can no longer afford to discount it off the original asking price.

+1 to all who said you are NOT bound by the $4700! To quote voorhees (a phrase I never thought I'd utter) "he who hesitates loses..." or, if you prefer rhymes: "you snooze, you lose!" Dude had his chance, dude missed his chance...

Just to clarify...I'm in the business of selling comics. Bedrock City has a web-site. I like ComicLink but the reality is that Comic Link is a competitor. I won't be listing it on ComicLink as I would prefer to sell it through my site. I know most of you look at C-Link regularly. Please add www.bedrockcity.com to your viewing list if you get a chance.

It would probably be awkward for him to make the lowball offer after the auction result.....he would certainly know that you're aware the book closed for twice what his original offer was. You could also tell him you're resubbing for a 9.8.... a polite way to let him know that your position has shifted. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+1 to all who said you are NOT bound by the $4700! To quote voorhees (a phrase I never thought I'd utter) "he who hesitates loses..." or, if you prefer rhymes: "you snooze, you lose!" Dude had his chance, dude missed his chance...

It is also a good opportunity to teach the guy that when you are offered a book at a fair price, you should buy it, instead of trying to beat the guy down further.

I have had a 9.6 ow/w X-Men #9 for about six weeks. I priced it at $5250, which admittedly is a little higher than GPA. But the book is a knockout and I figured there would be some negotiating room. About three weeks ago a guy came into the store and offered $3600 for it. He reasoned that the last sale that he was tracking was a copy that sold on C-Link a few months ago for that amount. He is not a GPA subscriber. I showed him all of the GPA info and said the best I'd do is $4700, which is around the GPA average. He passed. Two weeks ago he came back and offered $4200. He said there was a copy on eBay with a fixed price of $4750, plus there was a copy in the most recent C-Link auction that he was following. So $4200 was his most generous offer. I again said $4700 was the best I could do. He declined but said that he would probably come back by after the auction. We left it at that. There was no mention of whether either of our offers would be accepted after the auction. Well auction time comes around on Thursday and the C-Link copy sells for $7077. A really big price.

So what would you do?

Sell the book to someone else for more bread. That guy was all about one thing - the price beatdown for the flip. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but to use an analogy Bedrock will understand, mess with the bull, get the horns Now that the book has popped (which he obviously must have thought it was going to do) his horse has left the barn. I will be shocked if he ever mentions that book again.

Is this guy a customer or just a walk-in ? Does he regularly buy higher end books ?

If so I would honor my price of $4700 but would insist on cash and make him aware that with the recent sale you are doing him a solid and are a man of your word.

Sure you would leave something on the table but maybe get a real loyal and happy customer for life out of it.

Yes but only if it's a regular customer.

Because, really, he gave no "word" to honor. They negotiated, offered and counter offered. Richard's last counter offer was rejected. When you reject an offer or counteroffer that's the end of the deal until the seller or buyer makes another offer which is then accepted.

At this point there's nothing at all between them. No deal at all.

Exactly right. He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword, and this guy just got slain by a recent C-link sale. Richard is not obligated to honor the $4,700 price since it was already rejected and is free to price it at whatever he wants. If it's that nice of a book with excellent page quality, it will command a decent price especially with the Avengers movie looming on the horizon. No sense in selling yourself short Richard....I'm sure it'll move on the convention circuit at closer to your original asking price.

Just to clarify...I'm in the business of selling comics. Bedrock City has a web-site. I like ComicLink but the reality is that Comic Link is a competitor. I won't be listing it on ComicLink as I would prefer to sell it through my site. I know most of you look at C-Link regularly. Please add www.bedrockcity.com to your viewing list if you get a chance.

Pimpin ain't easy

www.DaleRobertsComics.com

I would put it up for 6500 and negotiate on 6000,Like the blazing one stated. (thumbs u

I wish you would keep our negotiations private. For the record, I offered $4200 and tickets to the next Astros/Cards game here. I can't help if it you don't think those are worth anything. Hardly reason to splash it here.

I have had a 9.6 ow/w X-Men #9 for about six weeks. I priced it at $5250, which admittedly is a little higher than GPA. But the book is a knockout and I figured there would be some negotiating room. About three weeks ago a guy came into the store and offered $3600 for it. He reasoned that the last sale that he was tracking was a copy that sold on C-Link a few months ago for that amount. He is not a GPA subscriber. I showed him all of the GPA info and said the best I'd do is $4700, which is around the GPA average. He passed. Two weeks ago he came back and offered $4200. He said there was a copy on eBay with a fixed price of $4750, plus there was a copy in the most recent C-Link auction that he was following. So $4200 was his most generous offer. I again said $4700 was the best I could do. He declined but said that he would probably come back by after the auction. We left it at that. There was no mention of whether either of our offers would be accepted after the auction. Well auction time comes around on Thursday and the C-Link copy sells for $7077. A really big price.

So what would you do?

Sell the book to someone else for more bread. That guy was all about one thing - the price beatdown for the flip. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but to use an analogy Bedrock will understand, mess with the bull, get the horns Now that the book has popped (which he obviously must have thought it was going to do) his horse has left the barn. I will be shocked if he ever mentions that book again.

That's a whole mess of metaphors for this early in the week. I like the barnyard theme though. (thumbs u

Pimpin ain't easy

www.DaleRobertsComics.com

Mods double notified for double spam goodness.

I wish you would keep our negotiations private. For the record, I offered $4200 and tickets to the next Astros/Cards game here. I can't help if it you don't think those are worth anything. Hardly reason to splash it here.

I'd have taken that deal. This is the last year we'll get to see the Cards play here. Interleague games don't count.

Yes, poor form. Don't splash the pot.

He continually rejected your counter offers. His loss. You are in no way obligated to to honor the aforementioned price. He was haggling down to the bare minimum. And that isn't how dealers roll.

Revise price and maybe work with him from there.

Obvious question that hasn't been asked -- has the guy returned and asked for the book at $4700? If he's playing C-Link against you and sees that sale, then comes back and asks for $4700, he has some serious big balls or takes you for a chump.

The market fluctuates on books.

End of story.

+1. To use another Metaphor, today's price for Gold or Brent Crude or Pork Bellies probably isn't what it was a week ago, why should this book's be? The market changes and the market decides.

If people adjusted their prices based on auction results every week then you'd likely have problems both upwards and downwards on books. There are always outliers and I don't think this book is rare enough in that grade to think the new FMV on the book is 7K, especially without knowing why the book finished so high.

I'd stay firm at what you thought was fair value for the book before and let him decide whether or not he thinks the book is now worth that amount.