• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Collector’s Handbook

9 posts in this topic

Got this in the email last night. I wonder if the #1 tip in the "Tips for Heirs" section is to call Heritage and consign? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Dear David,

Have you inherited a collection? Or perhaps you yourself are a collector, and do not want your heirs to be faced with a difficult situation. In either case, we recommend you purchase The Collector’s Handbook. This is a step-by-step guide to estate planning for collectors. From record keeping to taxes and tax planning to the best liquidation methods for maximizing proceeds, this handy primer cuts right to the chase. It is mostly written for the active collector, but pertinent chapters also have "Tips for Heirs" sections to aid non-collectors in avoiding common pitfalls after inheriting a collection (and once you've read this book, its convenient size makes it perfect for inclusion alongside your collection in a bank vault or safe deposit box).

The Collector’s Handbook

James L. Halperin & Gregory J. Rohan

Order Today for Just $14.95 with FREE SHIPPING!

Thank you,

Heritage Comics

Bid@HeritageComics.com

Yeah, probably has such excellent advice such as:

"Your collection isn't worth anything, and will take a long time to sell. Just contact Heritage Comics and we will be happy to steal...err...buy them from you."

"Hulk 181 is the most over-rated issue out there--there are too many of them. It's just best to sell it to Vincent at Metropolis."

27_laughing.gif

I almost posted about this last night. Am I the only one that takes offense at their attempts to garner business. I don't begrudge anyone the right to make their living, but they never acknowledge that most collectors don't appreciated being harassed to sell the items they've taken a lifetime to gather. I don't think their endless solicitations really make a difference. Between this and their god-awful raw grading, I've been totally turned off of their auctions.

I almost posted about this last night. Am I the only one that takes offense at their attempts to garner business. I don't begrudge anyone the right to make their living, but they never acknowledge that most collectors don't appreciated being harassed to sell the items they've taken a lifetime to gather. I don't think their endless solicitations really make a difference. Between this and their god-awful raw grading, I've been totally turned off of their auctions.

While I'm as skeptical of their motivations as the next guy, I was actually thinking about buying this book anyway. The sad fact of the matter is that if I don't put together a contingency plan in the event of my untimely demise, my heirs (who know next-to-nothing about the hobby) could easily end up getting ripped off by an unscrupulous dealer or speculator when they look to sell off my collection. I would definitely like to put some safeguards in place to make sure that doesn't happen and this book looks like it might be a good place to start.

I would definitely like to put some safeguards in place to make sure that doesn't happen and this book looks like it might be a good place to start.

I concur. Although I would have to stress that the book might be just that -- a starting point. Eventually, any estate planning initiative will require teaming-up with a good lawyer, to carefully map out collection safegaurds and ownership. One thing to keep in mind -- specifically in relation to your comments about your heirs knowing nothing about the hobby -- if you aren't able to articulate half of those strategies in a "common" or recognizable language or manner, to a legal person, or to the executor of your estate, then those strategies and safeguards may well turn out to be pointless. Keep in mind, there is still a high percentage of people that don't have a clue what "eBay" is all about, or lack the savvy to align themselves with online auctioneers existing in our hobby.

It is my experience that a cross-pollenation of knowledge about the idiosyncracies and pitfalls of the hobby, within the circle of trustees to the estate (executors, power of attorneys, etc.) is just as important as putting in place the most complex (or simplified) safegaurds, as far too often, the convenience of an estate liquidation, and the allure of "fast money" might work to trounce the most well intended and carefully mapped out estate strategies.

While I'm as skeptical of their motivations as the next guy, I was actually thinking about buying this book anyway. The sad fact of the matter is that if I don't put together a contingency plan in the event of my untimely demise, my heirs (who know next-to-nothing about the hobby) could easily end up getting ripped off by an unscrupulous dealer or speculator when they look to sell off my collection. I would definitely like to put some safeguards in place to make sure that doesn't happen and this book looks like it might be a good place to start.

just pick a dealer you currently trust (like Vinnie) and work it out beforehand. And tell your heirs about the arrangement. You wont need a contract (though it couldnt hurt) if there is enough trust and given your client status, he should be more than happy to help your family. Even then, the more your heirs understand about the specific vealues of your stuff, the better. And there is always the greed factor involved that you can never eradicate 100% (A little spillage is always expected!)