• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wally Wood Artist's Edition Going back to print

60 posts in this topic

After months of waiting, I finally received my copy of the Woody book.

In a way, I'm glad I missed out on the first printing, as this edition has (to my mind) one of Woody's best-ever images to front the book, WS # 20.

All the Woody EC original art I once possed (three complete WF stories and one WS cover) are long-gone from my collection, so this book is a very fine replacement to own - and I can re-live (thanks to the marvelous quality of reproduction) how the artist's work looked 'in the flesh' (if you see what I mean?).

Well done, Scott. (thumbs u

Hope you do some more EC-orientated books. Graham Ingels would be terrific :wishluck:

Thanks, Terry, glad you like it. The Jack Davis book will be out in the first half of 2013, and then we'll have some other interesting things to talk about.

I'd prefer not to know estimated dates till the book is in the final stages of production.

This would avoid disappointments for costumers like in the Eisner book, and would take out pressure from people working on the book. We all know that rushed work to reach a deadline has a direct impact on the quality of the book, and imho, quality is a key factor in this line of books.

I don't mind to wait longer, but the level of excellence shown till now is not negotiable for me. Nowadays it's a great effort for me to spend so much money on them, and quality is the main reason to do it.

So please, keep the great job done till now, and let people involved in the making of the books to work in the best of conditions without unnecessary rushes and pressure. Thanks.

I'd prefer not to know estimated dates till the book is in the final stages of production.

Me too, I'm really looking forward to the new IDW Dave Stevens stories book, but it's been reschedule a bunch...

I think it's now scheduled for next month?

Me too, I'm really looking forward to the new IDW Dave Stevens stories book, but it's been reschedule a bunch...

I think it's now scheduled for next month?

A special cover edition was available at 2012 SDCC. The books sold out quickly. Once again, IDW has produced a beautiful tribute to Dave's work. The regular edition is supposed to be released September as you said.

In a way, I'm glad I missed out on the first printing, as this edition has (to my mind) one of Woody's best-ever images to front the book, WS # 20.

All the Woody EC original art I once possed (three complete WF stories and one WS cover) are long-gone from my collection, so this book is a very fine replacement to own - and I can re-live (thanks to the marvelous quality of reproduction) how the artist's work looked 'in the flesh' (if you see what I mean?).

Hope you do some more EC-orientated books. Graham Ingels would be terrific :wishluck:

Thanks, Terry, glad you like it. The Jack Davis book will be out in the first half of 2013, and then we'll have some other interesting things to talk about.

Sounds great! With Davis, I tend to lean more towards the artwork he produced for the Kurtzman-edited titles - where I believe he put in extra effort (to keep Harvey happy). Jack's rough-hewn style of illustration was well-suited to Harvey's gritty war stories.

The horror stuff is fine, but just as I consider Woody to be the best EC science-fiction artist, I consider Graham Ingels to be Woody's counterpart in the horror books.

In a non-EC vein, Russ Heath is another top-notch artist with decades of quality work behind him. The forthcoming Heath exhibition would be a great opportunity to tie-in a book release to . . . hm

I thought about the Ingels AE the day i had the Wood in hand :cloud9:

Sounds great! With Davis, I tend to lean more towards the artwork he produced for the Kurtzman-edited titles - where I believe he put in extra effort (to keep Harvey happy). Jack's rough-hewn style of illustration was well-suited to Harvey's gritty war stories.

The horror stuff is fine, but just as I consider Woody to be the best EC science-fiction artist, I consider Graham Ingels to be Woody's counterpart in the horror books.

In a non-EC vein, Russ Heath is another top-notch artist with decades of quality work behind him. The forthcoming Heath exhibition would be a great opportunity to tie-in a book release to . . . hm

:o

Choke . . . gasp . . . good lord . . !

Terry, you'll be happy to hear that, besides Wood and Elder, there are a few great Davis stories in the forthcoming MAD AE, and even a Heath story. Oh, and did I mention Wolverton? ;-)

+1

Please Scott, Ingels, please!!!!

If we can get a Wrightson, Ingels and a Frazetta my life will be complete. The entire comic industry can completely shut down as I will never need anything else. :cloud9:

My buddy and I pre-ordered 2 copies of the Wood AE 2nd printing with revised cover (thumbs u from a LCS in Canada :makepoint: but got squat. Bought the lone copy on sale at Chicago Wizard that many collectors thumbed thru but found too heavy to carry around the comicon or to the airport. The Ray Bradbury and other writing with the classic EC twist endings is stellar to match Wood's grand artwork. (worship)

+1

Please Scott, Ingels, please!!!!

If we can get a Wrightson, Ingels and a Frazetta my life will be complete. The entire comic industry can completely shut down as I will never need anything else. :cloud9:

Desert Island AEs!!!!!!!

:o

Choke . . . gasp . . . good lord . . !

Terry, you'll be happy to hear that, besides Wood and Elder, there are a few great Davis stories in the forthcoming MAD AE, and even a Heath story. Oh, and did I mention Wolverton? ;-)

Fantastic - I'd forgot all about the MAD book as a possible subject! Elder found a perfect vehicle for his art in this title and (for me) became the star of the show.

Off the top-of-my-head, 'Melvin Mole' and 'Woman Wonder' are two of Elder's finest stories.

'Plastic Sam' is pefect Heath . . . and who could forget Wolverton's beautiful women! lol