• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Funny CGC error worth keeping?

27 posts in this topic

Ok, I had originally planned to keep this book for my ASM collection since I don't have an ASM 340 in the slot and this error just makes me laugh. However, I just received 10 other books from CGC and unfortunately 6 of them had unbearable errors on the CGC label and will have to go back for fixing. What do you think - should I send this "ASM" back with the other CGC errors for fixing?

IMG_20110526_172532.jpg

IMG_20110526_172514.jpg

IMG_20110526_172501.jpg

Does it make you laugh that about 1/3 of the cover of the book is covered by the phrase "THE INCREDIBLE HULK" yet the CGC labels says ASM? Would you keep it or fix it?

They should accept an error at a show. I know they won't accept reholders at shows anymore, but this is their mistake, and they shouldn't force you to be out of pocket on a bunch of books. If you do have to mail a stack of error labels back to them I would see if you could get a book graded for free on your next sub. Last time I had an error they did this for me (I got sent the right label but the wrong book inside the case, which, btw, was handled beautifully by CGC).

I know that I am new to the boards, but not to collecting and CGC. But this raises a lot of questions I think that are worth conversation. I would think that a $5 invoice fee would somehow keep mistakes like this from happening, and I think it should. We all agree that CGC guidelines are what determines grades in the industry, whether it's official or not. So why is too much for something as simple as quality checking a comic to make sure it's the right label being printed. I totally disagree on paying shipping charges to send it back, because in fact, their service has not been completed. Anyway, sorry for the rant, it's just that when you are spending hundreds of dollars on grading and encapsulation, this kind of "bush-league" mistake is totally unacceptable and should be made right by CGC. What other mistake got by them? If the label isn't right, what about the grade?

You NEVER pay for Errors, but you DO have to cover shipping cost.

This seems silly to me. Why should you have to be out of pocket on a clear error by CGC, let alone like 6 of them? CGC needs to either accept error books at a show, like they have done for me in the past (error books should NOT be treated like reholders) or should credit the person with grading fees equal to their shipping costs on their next shipment. In either case CGC should cover all of the return shipping costs.

In the two instances I have had an issue with CGC making an error they made it right, once on a label error on a book I later dropped off at a show with them to be fixed, and in another case where the wrong book was in the case and I was compensated with a free SS book being graded to cover my costs for shipping the error book back to them. These are reasonable ways to handle mistakes. Making the damaged party pay even MORE to fix the problem by forcing them to return the books on their own dime is not acceptable.

If CGC is not held accountable for their own QC then why would they have any incentive to improve? If we complain until they have to pay to fix their mistakes, then maybe they'll be more careful in the future. Like any company, once their bottom line starts to be impacted they will be more mindful of these sorts of problems. That $5 invoice fee evaporates pretty quickly if they are covering a lot of free shipping both ways on mistakes they make...

Igree that even tho it is a human error CGC should cover all cost.

I got a few of these back from CGC !!! Really suck's.... I dont see CGC as a company who cop's out and say were human and make human errors that was many years ago now they are to me a stander in the business and being they are they should not make errors like this one or even errors like mine.

hel001-16.jpg

hel002-18.jpg

i would keep it as-is, it's unique

Yeah, on the Ascension book it is clear who signed it and you got the correct yellow label and book information from what I can tell. That sort of label error is interesting and not detrimental. Getting the title wrong, like in the original example, means you can't enter the book in your registry set, which is a big deal to some (like me). But if it bothers YOU, the customer, I wouldn't hesitate to see about sending it back.

I should have been more clear from the get go. CGC is more than understanding and willing to fix the error(s) for free. And to compensate for shipping I get a selection of free grading services on later shipments which is the same thing as cash-money to me. So contacting CGC further is a non-issue for me.

I was only interested in if others thought it was a funny error, which I do, still do even. And since I collect ASM's and not Hulks it fits my collection even better! And a few initial respondents laughed too so I think I am going to keep it, might make a good impulse buy for someone in the future, and if they want it for their Hulk collection they can send it in to be fixed themselves.

Personally I know this is human error on the final person who touches the books part. However, I do not blame them one bit - every error I have, and have ever seen, on labels could have been prevented with a properly written software coding system . Bottom line is the only way to stop this stuff from happening is to more properly automate the grading and label creation process. Not cheap, not fast and I'm sure it's on CGC's to-do list. (May I recommend a Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Software Engineer? These guys are freaking brilliant!) (May I also recommend for the last CGC process prior to label printing using photo-pattern recognition software to scan the cover and compare to the database to ensure the comic is actually an ASM 340, this also would have caught 5 of the 6 typos I list below. I know it adds money taking a pic of ever book, but it will also make it so you have ALL the data possible for when your software system is ready to have more data fields and record ALL pertinent data. I personally would like this to happen so the CGC census could break out the SS column by signor.) (You could probably tell by now I'm a Process Engineer :)

As for the other errors, check them out below - these I can't stand for some reason and will definitely be getting fixed ASAP. Scroll all the way to the bottom for list of what typos were - See if you can catch them :)

2012-03-13_22-16-50_615.jpg

2012-03-13_22-16-16_712.jpg

2012-03-13_22-20-44_811.jpg

2012-03-13_22-19-50_359.jpg

2012-03-13_22-22-10_79.jpg

2012-03-13_22-21-44_446.jpg

2012-03-13_22-23-36_890.jpg

2012-03-13_22-23-01_798.jpg

2012-03-13_22-24-59_762.jpg

2012-03-13_22-24-36_553.jpg

2012-03-13_22-26-29_156.jpg

2012-03-13_22-25-56_449.jpg

The restored label is missing the restoration notes (which I have no clue what they could be, good 'ol ebay...)

The rest of them claim the publish year is 1973, which is the first year Ghost Rider rode a bike and had a flaming head. These all should state 1967, and I really would like the census to reflect the correct data in this case.

Since I've made my decision to keep feel free to let me know if you think I should keep or send back still, or just post your own errors if you like.

Have a good day all and good luck getting those grades and sigs you need!