• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uncanny X-Men 350 - cover variants

29 posts in this topic

Ok. I know this has probably been discussed before, so I apologize beforehand. I did search for information on the boards and couldn't find anything, so I figured I should just go ahead and ask.

I know that there were several variations on the cover of UXM 350 - the direct edition holofoil and the non-enhanced newsstand variant. Yesterday while perusing a stock of new books at the local comic/used dvd/video game/gaming store I found a copy of UXM 350 non-enhanced but the bar code at the bottom says direct edition.

Any idea on the rarity of these non-enhanced direct editions? I know its nothing significant, but it is pretty cool to have.

As far as I know the Direct Edition is the standard cover, the other two are the 'variants'.

So the holofoil is considered the 'variant'?

My simple answer is that if the cover is 'different' from the standard, then it's a 'variant'. (shrug)

A foil cover is different, therefore I deem it a variant.

The enhanced cover was ordered about 4X more than the standard if

memory serves, and I have repeatedly gotten more for the "plain" direct

edition than the glitz. Have not seen a newstand only, nor a second print.

Ok. I know this has probably been discussed before, so I apologize beforehand. I did search for information on the boards and couldn't find anything, so I figured I should just go ahead and ask.

I know that there were several variations on the cover of UXM 350 - the direct edition holofoil and the non-enhanced newsstand variant. Yesterday while perusing a stock of new books at the local comic/used dvd/video game/gaming store I found a copy of UXM 350 non-enhanced but the bar code at the bottom says direct edition.

Any idea on the rarity of these non-enhanced direct editions? I know its nothing significant, but it is pretty cool to have.

There are 3 different covers for Uncanny X-Men #350. There's the Deluxe Holofoil Direct Edition, the Non-Deluxe Non-Foil Direct Edition, and the Non-Deluxe Non-Foil News Stand Edition. The 2 Non-Foil Covers have a Different Cover Price than the Deluxe Direct Edition.

The Holofoil Direct Edition has a $3.99 Cover Price and the UPC Bar Code is on the Back Cover. Both Non-Foil Covers have a $2.99 Cover Price and they both have the UPC Bar Code on the Front Cover. So not only are they Non-Foil Variants but they're also UPC Bar Codes on Front Cover Variants plus Cover Price Variants.

The Non-Foil Direct Edition and the Non-Foil News Stand Editions normally sell for more than the Holofoil Direct Edition.

The Non-Foil Direct Edition and the Non-Foil News Stand Editions normally sell for around the same price. They sell for around $12 to $30 depending on Condition. The Holofoil Direct Edition sells for around $8 to $20 depending on Condition.

I added scans of all 3 books so you can see what they look like.

Deluxe Holofoil Direct Edition

X-Men350.jpg

Non-Deluxe Non-Foil Direct Edition

X-Men350Non-Foil.jpg

Non-Foil News Stand Edition

X-Men350Non-FoilNewsStand.jpg

WOLVERINE #100 ALSO HAS 3 COVERS JUST LIKE UNCANNY X-MEN #350!! It has a Hologram Direct Edition Cover, a Non-Hologram Direct Edition Cover, and a Non-Hologram News Stand Edition Cover. The Non-Hologram Covers both have a Different Cover Price!! The Non-Hologram Direct Edition Cover for this books is Extremely Hard to Find!!

Before anyone goes crazy trying to hunt down the newsstand edition there are only really two different covers for Uncanny X-Men "350, the Holofoil Edition and the Non-Holofoil Edition.

Even though there is a Newsstand & Direct Edition of the Non-Holofoil there is no art difference between the two, just UPC differences, so they are not considered Variants.

If they were considered variants then every single regular issue would have a Direct Edition and Newsstand Variant which no one recognizes.

The only time a Newsstand cover is considered a Variant is when the art is different in some way, like the newsstand version of #423.

Newsstand covers may be fun to collect for different UPCs but they are only TWO different covers for 350 - A Holofoil, and a Non-Holofoil.

Now... The Non-Holofoil usually commands a higher price since it had a lower print run and is harder to find in grade.

The census shows 82 9.8s of the Holofoil, but only 12 9.8s of the standard cover... And I've actually seen a couple of mislabled Holo-Foils in Non-Holofoil cases so I bet there are less of the standard edition.

Just my 2 cents.

WOLVERINE #100 ALSO HAS 3 COVERS JUST LIKE UNCANNY X-MEN #350!! It has a Hologram Direct Edition Cover, a Non-Hologram Direct Edition Cover, and a Non-Hologram News Stand Edition Cover. The Non-Hologram Covers both have a Different Cover Price!! The Non-Hologram Direct Edition Cover for this books is Extremely Hard to Find!!

I have an uncut hologram :shy:

What grade? :whistle:

As I was in my old LCS when it arrived (I helped unpack the deliveries), it is in perfect condition. Only problem, I cannot remember which box I filed it in (shrug)

As I was in my old LCS when it arrived (I helped unpack the deliveries), it is in perfect condition. Only problem, I cannot remember which box I filed it in (shrug)

:(

"The only time a Newsstand cover is considered a Variant is when the art is different in some way, like the newsstand version of #423"

To be clear ... Dre is correct such that examples like UXM #513 and #514 have purposeful differences in the art for the newsstand editions. #423 has two newsstand versions, #423 missing the $.25 bullet and of course, the distribution error with both the $2.25 and $.25 price points on the cover. That error, in my opinion, is more important since it was actually distributed to the public, versus a change in art variant.

Before anyone goes crazy trying to hunt down the newsstand edition there are only really two different covers for Uncanny X-Men "350, the Holofoil Edition and the Non-Holofoil Edition.

Even though there is a Newsstand & Direct Edition of the Non-Holofoil there is no art difference between the two, just UPC differences, so they are not considered Variants.

The only time a Newsstand cover is considered a Variant is when the art is different in some way, like the newsstand version of #423.

doh! WRONG.

Newsstand covers may be fun to collect for different UPCs but they are only TWO different covers for 350 - A Holofoil, and a Non-Holofoil.

Two substantially different covers, three different editions.

every single regular issue would have a Direct Edition and Newsstand Variant

Right.

Xforce1162_02.jpg

$(KGrHqZ,!hIE8jp(LCbyBPU,CEvU2g~~60_12.JPG

:popcorn:

In my opinion, these are not variants just the newsstand vs direct editions. This is like different price editions, not variants.

EDIT. I have had a thought. If the newsstand edition is not a variant as the cover is not different, then if a publisher adds foil lettering to a cover, is that a variant? So I have talkedl myself into a circle. Is the UXM 350 foil cover a variant or the foil edition, and is there a difference?

Xforce1162_02.jpg

$(KGrHqZ,!hIE8jp(LCbyBPU,CEvU2g~~60_12.JPG

:popcorn:

In my opinion, these are not variants just the newsstand vs direct editions. This is like different price editions, not variants.

smiley_nah.gif

EDIT. I have had a thought. If the newsstand edition is not a variant as the cover is not different, then if a publisher adds foil lettering to a cover, is that a variant? So I all myself into s circle. Is the UXM 350 foil cover a variant or the foil edition, and is there a difference?

$(KGrHqJ,!oIE9c50WVMDBP(UbD8dQQ~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqJHJCIE9Ep1Utj3BPYc1drP7g~~60_3.JPG