• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What you collect sucks: featuring The Walking Dead #1

190 posts in this topic

I thought it was just the other day that 9.8 copies went for $400 :o

I thought so too.

Just wait until they introduce Elton John as the Governor.

:ohnoez:

My theory is that movies/television result in higher prices, but not because they actually bring new collectors into the fold; rather, they cause pre-existing speculators to buy more on the premise that new collectors will enter the fray.

On the whole, I agree with this. But every once in a while there is a title that the general non-comic buying public latches on to in a different way. Watchmen was one of those. It didn't translate to big back issue sales because the print runs were originally so huge. Harry Potter is another example. Try buying a first edition of the first book for any kind of reasonable amount. Walking Dead is the newest example of this. The Walking Dead property is responsible for drawing more non-comic fans into my stores than any other. Heck, almost as much as ALL others.

I'll defer to your experience, and I don't doubt that this title is bringing people into the hobby, and into your store. But bringing them in, in the capacity to spend $400-$2000 on a slabbed copy of this book, is a different proposition.

Best case scenario, the game and tv show affect TPB sales because people actually want to read the darn things.

That's exactly what is happening. Folks are watching the show, liking it, hearing about the comics series, looking at the Comic Shop Locator Service, going to stores, buying the trades, liking them, and then looking for the first issue.

Why in the world would a person who has never walked into a comic book shop, and who is looking for trades, go to a comic shop locator instead of ordering the books for 50% off or more on Amazon?

I'm not doubting you, but I'm starting to think I'm not the person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point here.

As easy as Amazon is, there are still a ton of people who prefer to put their hands on something and browse it first. Especially if it is something unique or unknown to them.

It's called people over 30.

My nephew is 25 and if Amazon delivered groceries, that is what he would use.

Amazon does deliver groceries. In fact, you can select a list of items to be delivered to you on a regular basis.

Best case scenario, the game and tv show affect TPB sales because people actually want to read the darn things.

That's exactly what is happening. Folks are watching the show, liking it, hearing about the comics series, looking at the Comic Shop Locator Service, going to stores, buying the trades, liking them, and then looking for the first issue.

Why in the world would a person who has never walked into a comic book shop, and who is looking for trades, go to a comic shop locator instead of ordering the books for 50% off or more on Amazon?

I'm not doubting you, but I'm starting to think I'm not the person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point here.

As easy as Amazon is, there are still a ton of people who prefer to put their hands on something and browse it first. Especially if it is something unique or unknown to them.

Amazon is incredible. <3

Not knowing any better. I made that mistake for the first 6 or 7 issues, paying full retail at the local comic shops. That was a head slapper for sure.

I thought it was just the other day that 9.8 copies went for $400 :o

That might get you a raw Chew #1,but not even a Walking Dead #2 cgc 9.8 now.

:grin:

Jesus, Chew is doing that good? I thought I was in the know!

How many of them balk when they see the price of the first issue though?

I can't see too many people, new or returning collectors, dropping $400 for a VF #1.

Most of them aren't looking for a #1 first. They just want the trades. By the time they make that leap to a first print #1 they have already invested in 15 trades at $15 each. $400 isn't going to scare them at that point.

Are you seeing these as new collectors or people returning to comics after years away?

Amazon is incredible. <3

Amazon Prime :cloud9:

Amazon digital :cloud9:

Amazon marketplace :cloud9:

I can't see too many people, new or returning collectors, dropping $400 for a VF #1.

Exactly. People don't go from not collecting any comics, to buying $400 slabs, regardless of grades. Seasoned collectors often have trouble looking at their hobby from the perspective of someone with no knowledge, seeing a comic book stuck in a case that they can't read, selling for 1-2 car payments, while the trade is like $8 on Amazon.

Seasoned collectors do have trouble relating to how the general public views things. Both ways.

$400 to a hard core comic collector who inspects the most microscopic detail of a pamphlet of stapled together paper is much different than $400 to someone else. Someone else is probably going to spend $400 and not think about all of the ramifications as much.

Amazon is incredible. <3

So is going for a walk and meeting new people.

:baiting:

Amazon does deliver groceries. In fact, you can select a list of items to be delivered to you on a regular basis.

:facepalm:

I will hit him so freakin hard if he is using Amazon. He can't live but three blocks from the grocery store.

All I can tell you is we have more 18 - 40 year olds frequenting our comic shops then at any other time in the last fifteen years. I think it is hip to be a nerd these days.

All I can tell you is we have more 18 - 40 year olds frequenting our comic shops then at any other time in the last fifteen years. I think it is hip to be a nerd these days.

Too bad most of us are too nerdy to be hip.

Amazon is incredible. <3

So is going for a walk and meeting new people.

:baiting:

Treadmill + Meetup.com/Facebook.

My theory is that movies/television result in higher prices, but not because they actually bring new collectors into the fold; rather, they cause pre-existing speculators to buy more on the premise that new collectors will enter the fray.

On the whole, I agree with this. But every once in a while there is a title that the general non-comic buying public latches on to in a different way. Watchmen was one of those. It didn't translate to big back issue sales because the print runs were originally so huge. Harry Potter is another example. Try buying a first edition of the first book for any kind of reasonable amount. Walking Dead is the newest example of this. The Walking Dead property is responsible for drawing more non-comic fans into my stores than any other. Heck, almost as much as ALL others.

I'll defer to your experience, and I don't doubt that this title is bringing people into the hobby, and into your store. But bringing them in, in the capacity to spend $400-$2000 on a slabbed copy of this book, is a different proposition.

Sold a 9.6 last week for $650 in store to a non-comic collecting female as a present for her boyfriend, who also does not collect comics. I have a 9.8 comic back from CGC that I pre-sold for $1300, again to someone who does not regularly collect comics. It is happening. It amazes me too, but it is happening.

Not knowing any better. I made that mistake for the first 6 or 7 issues, paying full retail at the local comic shops. That was a head slapper for sure.

Supporting your local comic shop ain't a bad thing.

Most of them aren't looking for a #1 first. They just want the trades. By the time they make that leap to a first print #1 they have already invested in 15 trades at $15 each. $400 isn't going to scare them at that point.

Are you seeing these as new collectors or people returning to comics after years away?

A vast majority are completely new.

Agreed. I'd rather walk to the store, talk to someone for a bit and buy something for slightly more.

But then I'm over 25.

Agreed. I'd rather walk to the store, talk to someone for a bit and buy something for slightly more.

But then I'm over 25.

What you don't realize is that they're forced to be there, and aren't really interested in your idle chit-chat.

I opt for one-click buying to spare everyone the caca.