• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ticked off ebayer

52 posts in this topic

I had someone mail a comic to me just like this once and the comic was damaged. I always put the comic in a comic bag, then put it into a larger bag and tape that to the cardboard.

The open top mylar is just asking for a problem.

I hate open top mylars in every possible way.

HATE...

Ticked off ebayer.

Every time I see this title on the forums, I think it reads, "Ticked off beaver." and I wonder what he's done to upset his significant other.

animal-graphics-beaver-903447.gif

I had someone mail a comic to me just like this once and the comic was damaged. I always put the comic in a comic bag, then put it into a larger bag and tape that to the cardboard.

HATE...

the best is when the open edge is taped together perpendicularly, so that when the inevitable shifting in transit happens, you get the book stuck to the tape.

open top mylars are just stupid. the damage you get from environmental contamination is about 1000% times worse than the "off-gassing" being trapped

I put the books I ship, which are bagged and boarded, inside another magazine size bag and tape that shut. never do I apply tape directly to the comic bag containing the comic. It works for me...5 or 6 books in a magazine bag then that is taped to the cardboard sandwich and wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap.

I put the books I ship, which are bagged and boarded, inside another magazine size bag and tape that shut. never do I apply tape directly to the comic bag containing the comic. It works for me...5 or 6 books in a magazine bag then that is taped to the cardboard sandwich and wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap.

Spoken like a man who knows how to ship comic books. (thumbs u

HATE...

the best is when the open edge is taped together perpendicularly, so that when the inevitable shifting in transit happens, you get the book stuck to the tape.

open top mylars are just stupid. the damage you get from environmental contamination is about 1000% times worse than the "off-gassing" being trapped

I can't tell you the number of times I've bought a comic that's been in an open top mylar for a number of years, and the top half of the interior pages is a nice hue of brown, while the bottom of the book is still nice and creamy white.

I've even had books that were brittle on the top edge from being in an open top mylar.

Why anyone would put a comic in these just blows my mind. :censored:

HATE...

I can't tell you the number of times I've bought a comic that's been in an open top mylar for a number of years, and the top half of the interior pages is a nice hue of brown, while the bottom of the book is still nice and creamy white.

I've even had books that were brittle on the top edge from being in an open top mylar.

Where were you guys when I was getting hammered by this very premise a couple years ago? It wasn't the open top mylar that was to blame, or so I was told, it was that I lived in a cesspool, or something like that. I agree, open top mylar baaaaaaaaaaaaad. :sumo:

HATE...

Where were you guys when I was getting hammered by this very premise a couple years ago? It wasn't the open top mylar that was to blame, or so I was told, it was that I lived in a cesspool, or something like that. I agree, open top mylar baaaaaaaaaaaaad. :sumo:

Dude, I've been singing this song for a loooooooooong time.

HATE...

Dude, I've been singing this song for a loooooooooong time.

Well, I got totally beat down in the streets on that one, before being thrown in prison and gang-raped. No one came to my defense.

SB168.jpg

HATE...

I was there too and sided with you. I've only seen aging on the top of books consistently when they were stored in open top Mylars.

Divad (and a few others) were convinced that it had nothing to do with it and everything to do with poor storage conditions.

Granted, I can see poor storage conditions accelerating wear on an exposed comic but you probably would not get that aging if a book was stored in a closed top mylar.

Having said that, I store most of my books in open top mylars and ship them to CGC that way.

lol

I ship all of my books to CGC in open top mylars and full backs. Have not had a problem and I've shipped 100's of books.

I stack the mylars with a piece of cardboard on either side (about 5-10 books in a stack), place them in a plastic bag and tape them across and top to bottom to keep the stack from shifting. Then I bubblewrap and box.

I agree but others don't.

This is the thread in question.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Roy. Apparently, I was so butthurt at the hands of red raven, fantastic four and divad, that I put the rest of you in 'whisper in my ear to bite the pillow' status. :lol:

xoxoxo

:cool:

SB168.jpg

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Roy. Apparently, I was so butthurt at the hands of red raven, fantastic four and divad, that I put the rest of you in 'whisper in my ear to bite the pillow' status. :lol:

xoxoxo

:cool:

SB168.jpg

Fear not, Lizzy. You have me on your side. :acclaim:

If they are open top mylars, the books will sometimes slide out the top and contact the tape. It's happened to books I've purchased several times. Books going through the postal machinery are whipped around like a violent carnival ride, so you should pack them appropriately.

Open-top mylars don't seem like such a good idea... Looks like others have already gone into detail on this. I don't like when a raw comic is sitting in just an open-top mylar. Imagine if you had your comics box open and your roommate walked by and spilled a cup of coffee.