• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do people deslab CGC graded books?

98 posts in this topic

I recently had the pleasure of handling a raw early DC which eventually came back 9.6. from CGC. Absolutely awe-inspiring to hold and look at a book like this. A shame that, once slabbed, the experience can't be experienced again...Not a value judgement on slabbing at all. Appropriate for a 25K book like this one. But still....

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate hearing the different perspectives.

I own a grand total of 4 CGC graded books (and thousands of raws). I definitely agree with those of you who have said they appreciate the look, feel and smell of raw comics. I absolutely love reading a Golden or Silver Age comic, there's just something about opening and reading a comic that was printed 50, 60 or 70 years ago.

To many, the slab is simply a method of transportation and a 'guarantee' of sorts. It's actually the book that's important to them and the slab detracts from said book.

There are also practical reasons...long-term, the slab isn't the best storage option. It's also weighty and takes up a hell of a lot of storage space.

^^

And that's why no one knows how accurate the census really is...

lol even if I weren't in the habit returning my blue labels, I don't think too many people are concerned with whether there is one less Buckaroo Banzai in 9.8 out there.

To many, the slab is simply a method of transportation and a 'guarantee' of sorts. It's actually the book that's important to them and the slab detracts from said book.

There are also practical reasons...long-term, the slab isn't the best storage option. It's also weighty and takes up a hell of a lot of storage space.

That's about it...

From a collector perspective I think a book presents and shows better in a nice 2 or 4 mil bag/board, or mylar sleeve. CGC case has a GLARE, that makes the book harder to see, IMHO,

From a dealer/seller side, no contest the plastic case makes any book, that much more liquid to a buyer,

I've cracked out more slabs than I can remember. I mainly do it because I want the book raw and sometimes it's easier to get the grade I want that way as opposed to hunting for a raw copy.

For my collection, I prefer raw books.