• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead - 1st Dayl Dixon & Something to Fear

128 posts in this topic

Outside of super hero comics, have the first appearances of late addition supporting characters in self contained creator owned comics ever been particularly valuable when compared to the previous and following issues? Are there "key" issues of Cerebus that don't relate to print run exclusively? I know there isn't for many other comics. Nobody cares when Reyek showed up in Elfquest or Lone Goat in Usagi Yojimbo.

In Walking Dead's case Michonne (19) and Governor (27) have both commanded nice dollars. Darryl is already a fan favourite that I dare say compares to Michonne.

I'm pretty sure it's temporary. Very temporary. The show will end, maybe sooner than we all think. The series is set to end at 200 issues. At some point I believe a lot of people that are either hoarding "key" issues or buying only first appearances in a series they don't read will move on. This isn't Amazing Spider-Man. At some point the characters will die for good (possibly after gracing just a few pages, making them a VERY temporary character), then the series will. I think #1 will always be a somewhat high dollar comic, the following few low print run issues worth more than cover, and the rest a buck each, no matter whose first appearance is contained. That's how it's always been with this type of comic. If it's as successful and popular among collectors as Cerebus when the dust settles, then 95% of the series will be available at a buck each.

So how is it different from ASM or UXM? There are characters long gone and their 1st appearances and deaths still command money.

Just a throw an example out there. I'm a big fan of the Phoenix saga. Lived and died and has always commanded big money even without the awful theatrical version.

Outside of super hero comics, have the first appearances of late addition supporting characters in self contained creator owned comics ever been particularly valuable when compared to the previous and following issues? Are there "key" issues of Cerebus that don't relate to print run exclusively? I know there isn't for many other comics. Nobody cares when Reyek showed up in Elfquest or Lone Goat in Usagi Yojimbo.

In Walking Dead's case Michonne (19) and Governor (27) have both commanded nice dollars. Darryl is already a fan favourite that I dare say compares to Michonne.

I'm pretty sure it's temporary. Very temporary. The show will end, maybe sooner than we all think. The series is set to end at 200 issues. At some point I believe a lot of people that are either hoarding "key" issues or buying only first appearances in a series they don't read will move on. This isn't Amazing Spider-Man. At some point the characters will die for good (possibly after gracing just a few pages, making them a VERY temporary character), then the series will. I think #1 will always be a somewhat high dollar comic, the following few low print run issues worth more than cover, and the rest a buck each, no matter whose first appearance is contained. That's how it's always been with this type of comic. If it's as successful and popular among collectors as Cerebus when the dust settles, then 95% of the series will be available at a buck each.

I don't know ... this is uncharted terratory for comics. We've never had a comic spawn one of the most loved shows in television history. I imagine that the show will run for a decade and I won't be shocked if the key issues remain valuable for the next decade. When the show gets canceled or concludes the comics are going to take a hit., but who knows when that will happen. It's really interesting.

I don't know ... this is uncharted terratory for comics. We've never had a comic spawn one of the most loved shows in television history. I imagine that the show will run for a decade and I won't be shocked if the key issues remain valuable for the next decade. When the show gets canceled or concludes the comics are going to take a hit., but who knows when that will happen. It's really interesting.

Wow, a decade? I'm not so sure about that. Only time will tell, but that seems more like wishful thinking.

So how is it different from ASM or UXM? There are characters long gone and their 1st appearances and deaths still command money.

Just a throw an example out there. I'm a big fan of the Phoenix saga. Lived and died and has always commanded big money even without the awful theatrical version.

No characters ithe MU and DCU are ever really gone. Super hero comics are an entirely different animal

the way the walking dead is being marketed, and the rabid fanbase, you can't compare it to any other comic series in history.

I don't know about that. There are many comparisons to be made. 2c

Wow, a decade? I'm not so sure about that. Only time will tell, but that seems more like wishful thinking.

It is the only series on television that has supported its own aftershow. I think sky is the limit.

It's a new show with high ratings. One of the most loved shows in television history is stretching it quite a bit. I think the show would have legs if the network handled it better, but the way things are they could destroy their own bread and butter in a season or two. It's only a possibility though, and realistically I think the show has about five seasons in it. That's a long running supernatural/sci-fi/fantasy drama these days.

No characters ithe MU and DCU are ever really gone. Super hero comics are an entirely different animal

I guess we agree to disagree then? I see them as very comparable. Wasn't there a time when comparing the popularity of a superhero wearing tights to the popularity of cowboys seen as being different animals?

the way the walking dead is being marketed, and the rabid fanbase, you can't compare it to any other comic series in history.
TMNT had a pretty popular show

Agreed. There are comparisons. Also as much as I like the show it will not run 10 years and is not the most loved in history.

And TMNT #1 will always be a key. Issue 19 and 27, not so much.

I appreciate your opinion. I don't follow the logic. Why can't Michonne be Phoenix? Governor be Apocolypse? Rick be Batman? Carl be Cable? 1st appearance Xmen 201?

Carl could end up having a 2nd WD series in 10 years that runs 200 issues.

TMNT has 6 good issues the Walking Dead has enjoyed 100 good issues. TMNT's 6 good issues were for adults but the cartoon/tv show was for kids. I think that's a distinction with a difference. jmho

So this is a thread about a specific arc of the comic series when there's already a thread about the comic series?

And this is in addition to a thread about how the comic series became a TV show, and a thread about how the creators of the comic series don't like each other, and a thread about artwork for the comic series?

Should be just start a new thread for every single issue of the comic series? Is that where we are headed?

It is the only series on television that has supported its own aftershow. I think sky is the limit.

i shudder to think how godawful this show will be 8 years from now. the greatest dramas in TV history can't maintain quality for that length of time. vince gilligan, who has the greatest show on TV right now, knows that 6 seasons of breaking bad will allow the series to end on a high note. Ditto Matthew Weiner with Mad Men, David Chase w/ Sopranos, etc. Anything more is just a money grab.

So this is a thread about a specific arc of the comic series when there's already a thread about the comic series?

And this is in addition to a thread about how the comic series became a TV show, and a thread about how the creators of the comic series don't like each other, and a thread about artwork for the comic series?

Should be just start a new thread for every single issue of the comic series? Is that where we are headed?

This is further evidence of my statement that this series is unlike any comic series in the history of comics ... The last time a comic spawned a sucessful adult tv series was Batman and the Walking Dead fans are way more dedicated.