• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead - 1st Dayl Dixon & Something to Fear

128 posts in this topic

one of the most loved shows in television history.

I Love Lucy

The Honeymooners

M*A*S*H

Seinfeld

Walking Dead

Yeah, that seems about right. lol

I used to own a FC I Love Lucy (#1) :cloud9: It could have used a press too.

it would be hard to jump off of that gravy train...not like he can't, and has, started other projects to keep him from getting in a rut.

And it could always go bi-monthly or move on to a series of specials for a time if he did get bored. Jump 15 years in the future. Start a professional sports league, whatever. It's the world building that will be the interesting part.

I Love Lucy

The Honeymooners

M*A*S*H

Seinfeld

Walking Dead

Any list of the greatest tv shows that does not include at least one of the following is just pure bantha fodder.

All in the family

The Simpsons

Married with children

The series is set to end at 200 issues.

Where did you hear this? Can anyone confirm or is this just an opinion? I've never heard Kirkman speak of an endpoint at all.

Maybe I heard wrong. It was just a comment on a message board that I got that info from.

I Love Lucy

The Honeymooners

M*A*S*H

Seinfeld

Walking Dead

Any list of the greatest tv shows that does not include at least one of the following is just pure bantha fodder.

All in the family

The Simpsons

Married with children

Thankfully for me (and the bantha) that's not what that list was.

I Love Lucy

The Honeymooners

M*A*S*H

Seinfeld

Walking Dead

Hey, it has almost as many viewers as Judge Judy
It's been said her ratings "retired" Oprah. :o
Walking dead is at the top of the cable network prime time shows, but still short by about four million viewers to match the tenth highest rated network shows. It's not nearly as loved as American Idol, and only slightly more loved than Jersey Shore according to Nielsen

For a superfluous thread, this turned into a great discussion.

Decent and you're welcome.

I guess if you are speculating on TWD's enduring popularity, you have to ask yourself one thing. Are people gonna want to revisit this down the road? Is it a kind of property where people are gonna feel nostalgic to return to that same "happy place or character" after a 10-20 year absence, like TMNT, Batman or even Nancy Drew?

I have to say probably not and with the show playing throughout the years, chances are the future son-of-Jerel's will be sick of the reruns that are dated (a zombie outbreak never actually happened) by then too. It's be the equivalent of making your kid watch The Rockford Files and expect him to take it seriously. It's easy to watch Night of the Living Dead from '68 now also, but you really don't look at it as something as groundbreaking as it used to be. Same thing is bound to happen with this.

With older stuff like The Avengers, it's easier to tell it's story to the current times in a new way everytime. The Dark Knight had very political under-currents as well, that could be very reflective to any era. TWD is trapped in a grim, moody and morbid universe, that has to have an audience with a similar train of thought to register to it. These beloved episodes could play like episodes of lovably blue-collar Roseanne, twenty years down the road. Meaning it's syndication might find it's once mega-audience due to the "correction" of a new decade's prosperity and happiness.

So, our generation might be the only folks who actually carry this title also. It's just something to think about. I hate to see folks shell out the kind of money they are on "rarity" and "popularity".

Even the most popular comic TV show was cancelled three years into it's run in the 60's due to real-life issues.

For a superfluous thread, this turned into a great discussion.

Even the most popular comic TV show was cancelled three years into it's run in the 60's due to real-life issues.

I think that's the main reason that people have so much faith in the title. WD isn't going to get canceled next year.