• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who said it first - or great sayings attributed to comic books

60 posts in this topic

"With great power, comes great responsibility"

I was wondering if Stan Lee penned this first, and apparently he did,

however there is an FDR speech that was never delivered

(he died the day before) that had a similar statement in it.

Apologies if this has previously been discussed.

Just seemed like a great saying .

I just wondered if Uncle Ben really said it first (shrug)

I was always partial to that totally awesome panel in the Wolverine Limited Series where he's fighting The Hand and he says (if I recall correctly)

"They we're good...

..I'm the best."

Standing over a bunch of bodies. I like that better than his "I'm the best at what I do..." line.

I was always partial to that totally awesome panel in the Wolverine Limited Series where he's fighting The Hand and he says (if I recall correctly)

"They we're good...

..I'm the best."

Standing over a bunch of bodies. I like that better than his "I'm the best at what I do..." line.

He's wasn't talking grammar, obviously. :baiting:

"They we're good...

..I'm the best."

He's wasn't talking grammar, obviously. :baiting:

Well, he was coming off a berserker rage.

I've read several sermons that attribute the "with great power comes great responsibility" quotation to a Biblical source, yet have been unable to find the passage. Stanley Martin Lieber certainly had familiarity with the Old Testament, but other than that tenuous link for a Judeo-Christian attribution, I can't find any reference. What a wonderful (and powerful) phrase, though!

From Wiki :

The often-quoted Spider-Man theme of "with great power comes great responsibility" is widely attributed to Uncle Ben. However, this was not initially true. In Amazing Fantasy #15, the original version of the phrase appears in a narrative caption in the comic's last panel,[11] not as spoken dialogue. In fact, Ben has only two lines in the entire comic.

However, later stories and flashbacks that took place when Ben was still alive retroactively made the phrase one of Ben's many homilies he would lecture Peter with. Latter-day reinterpretations of Spider-Man, such as the Spider-Man movie and the Ultimate Spider-Man comic, depict Ben as saying this phrase to Peter while he is still alive, in their last conversation. Both the aforementioned adaptations also had Peter lash out at Ben just after he says it, and both also mention his father. Also, in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, when the player speaks with Spider-Man, they attempt to say the phrase to him, only for him to interrupt them.

New York City Mayor-Elect Thomas Francis Gilroy used the phrase "With great power comes great responsibility" in an 1892 interview with The New York Times

I've read several sermons that attribute the "with great power comes great responsibility" quotation to a Biblical source, yet have been unable to find the passage. Stanley Martin Lieber certainly had familiarity with the Old Testament, but other than that tenuous link for a Judeo-Christian attribution, I can't find any reference. What a wonderful (and powerful) phrase, though!

You may be talking about a parable from Luke - "To whom much has been given, much will be expected"

New York City Mayor-Elect Thomas Francis Gilroy used the phrase "With great power comes great responsibility" in an 1892 interview with The New York Times

(:

That's pretty darn close to it hm

(:

So in other words there are no great sayings attributed to comic books. :tonofbricks:

(:

So in other words there are no great sayings attributed to comic books. :tonofbricks:

"By the hoary hosts of hoggoth" ain't too shabby.

Wrong.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/cool-story-bro

I see. meh

In that case I suppose you could add the following.

"Snikt"

"Baaanff"

"Looks like we won".

"Say your prayers, hero!"

"Super-hero vs. Super-Villain! Only one shall survive!"

"Holy Moley"

"Sockamagee!"

"Fonebone"

"Potrezebie"

"Is that all you've got"?

"Up, up and away"

"Is it a bird etc."

"Trapped in world he never made"

"O Bitter Victory"

"The Dismal Dregs Of Defeat"

"Face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot"

"It's kicking in".

"I shall be a creature of the night, terrible, I shall be a bat". (probably borrowed from gothic lit).

Memes aren't great sayings, no matter how widespread their usage. :tonofbricks:

Although they are obviously memorable.