• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 204 RRP

21 posts in this topic

That is just insane. You heard it here first....rampant speculation on variants are going to cause the next modern crash and burn..... 893whatthe.gif

OK....maybe I'm not the first...... smirk.gif

Jim

Ye olde eBay

All I can say is 893whatthe.gif

THAT IS FREAKING NUTS!

Than again it was freaking nuts the prices some people paid for the black bagged edition of the death of superman days after it came out.

I'm a proud owner of two of those!!!!!

tonofbricks.gif

I'm a proud owner of two of those!!!!!

I only bought one and actually cut it open, read it, thought it was a pretty bad read, and sold it to a friend the next day for $5.00. Best decision I've ever made.

I remember this one store owner who told everyone she was keeping a stack to pay for her grandson's college education. Sad to say, but the store's not even there anymore.

That is just insane. You heard it here first....rampant speculation on variants are going to cause the next modern crash and burn..... 893whatthe.gif

I was at Midtown Comics here in Manhattan yesterday and asked the guy behind the counter (think he might have been the manager; I'm not a regular there) how the Astonishing X-Men variants were selling. He said they were selling like gangbusters the first couple of days and then interest just died. He then went off into a tirade about how variant cover mania is out of hand and that he thinks this could really kill the hobby like in the 1990s. I mentioned how I thought the first couple of variant covers that DC did were cool, but that it was indeed now out of control and I thought he was going to chew my head off by admitting that any variant covers had a place in the hobby! He then started going off on how the hobby is doomed if Marvel and DC don't cut this 893censored-thumb.gif out right now and then cut his rant short by saying "well, let's not think about that and just pray [variant covers spelling doom for the hobby] doesn't happen."

I was at Midtown Comics here in Manhattan yesterday and asked the guy behind the counter (think he might have been the manager; I'm not a regular there) how the Astonishing X-Men variants were selling. He said they were selling like gangbusters the first couple of days and then interest just died. He then went off into a tirade about how variant cover mania is out of hand and that he thinks this could really kill the hobby like in the 1990s. I mentioned how I thought the first couple of variant covers that DC did were cool, but that it was indeed now out of control and I thought he was going to chew my head off by admitting that any variant covers had a place in the hobby! He then started going off on how the hobby is doomed if Marvel and DC don't cut this 893censored-thumb.gif out right now and then cut his rant short by saying "well, let's not think about that and just pray [variant covers spelling doom for the hobby] doesn't happen."

He's not the only retailer voicing this opinion if the dealer op-eds on the Internal Correspondence website are to be believed.....

Jim

I mentioned how I thought the first couple of variant covers that DC did were cool, but that it was indeed now out of control and I thought he was going to chew my head off by admitting that any variant covers had a place in the hobby! He then started going off on how the hobby is doomed if Marvel and DC don't cut this out right now

It really is scary how the big two haven't learnt at all from past mistakes. 893frustrated.gif

Gene,

As much as it is going against my nature, let me add fuel to this fire. I had a similar conversation at my LCS the other day. I am a regular in the shop and consider the owner a friend. While picking up my weekly subscription books, I asked the same question you did. How are the Astonishing X-Men cover variants doing? Much like you, my answer consisted of a "rant" about specs and the variant covers killing the hobby like it did in the early 90's.

In addition to his "rant", he also told me about a few other things that were very off putting. In the last year the number of subscription customers he has has increased. However, the majority of the new subscriptions are people requesting copies of every number 1 and every variant cover. In some cases, they are wanting multiple copies. In addition, everyday he has people coming in asking him about "comic investments" or "what the next hot book will be."

When I couple that with the fact that Liefeld will be doing an X-Force re-dux, I feel like I have gone back in time.

However, the majority of the new subscriptions are people requesting copies of every number 1 and every variant cover. In some cases, they are wanting multiple copies.

Now out of all the comparisons to the early-90s we are seeing, this is the most troubling.

Pull lists such as these were extremely common and directly contributed to the 90s crash, and the failure of a good number of stores, when retailers were left with pull boxes of unsellable junk when the specs jumped ship.

Jim

I have a question. Can the hobby survive another disaster like the '90s again? I am serious. Just looking for some thoughts or perspective from others.

A disaster like the 90s isn't really possible... sales would have to skyrocket from the current levels to make that a reality. Comic sales have been climbing over the last four years, both in unit sales and dollar sales, but the rate of growth is hardly a cause for alarm.

Publishers have done variant covers for over a decade, and the last six years has seen plenty of them that some people overpaid for and most people ignored. The current fan base for the medium is surprisingly stable, and the vast majority of collectors do not get sucked in by the hype. Yes, some people will make money on these variants. Some people will lose money on these variants. But I don't see cause for alarm, yet...

You know, Variants are nice to have in your collection if you get lucky and grab one off the shelf, these dealer incentive books are ridiculouse.

I meen how obviouse is it that they just exist to generate big time revinue for your LCS. Not my money buddy, put it on the shelf and first come first serve.

I'm done now. sign-rantpost.gif

Would this be a bad time to mention that the Superman 204 RRP will be given away somewhere other than just the UK summit? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

And that there will be a lot more than just 100 copies? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Might be a bad time, huh... So maybe I shouldn't say... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

lighthouse, don't get me wrong, if i can get my hands on one i will. Let me give you an example...

One of the LCS near me is a huge volume store, 90% modern books if not more. They recieved 10 AXM variants, and their selling them for $130 or if you buy 10 ASX #1 and 10 of 3 other X titles i can't remember, you can get the Vaiant at cover price.

This seems rediculouse, not to mention once the buzz wears off they will be sitting on them for a while, because no one is touching them at that price in a retail store.

Of course this is just my opinion. tongue.gif

Would this be a bad time to mention that the Superman 204 RRP will be given away somewhere other than just the UK summit? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

And that there will be a lot more than just 100 copies? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Might be a bad time, huh... So maybe I shouldn't say... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

cue evil laughter "bwah hah hah hah hah" end evil laughter