• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unwitnessed sig question

15 posts in this topic

I'm not planning on doing this, but it occurred to me this morning and wondered what people thought:

What happens if a creator signs a raw comic, unwitnessed and then later, in front of a CGC witness, signs again, writing EXACTLY over the previous signature?

Would the comic get a yellow label, or a green? What comments might be expected on the label?

I'm not planning on doing this, but it occurred to me this morning and wondered what people thought:

What happens if a creator signs a raw comic, unwitnessed and then later, in front of a CGC witness, signs again, writing EXACTLY over the previous signature?

Would the comic get a yellow label, or a green? What comments might be expected on the label?

CGC has stated previously that if they see this happening, they will refuse to grade the book.

If you were to unslab a green book and then do sig series with a witness, what would you get?

You'd get a yellow label book with a massive grade drop due to whatever defect caused it to be in a green label to begin with.

Guest Grails
and then later, in front of a CGC witness, signs again, writing EXACTLY over the previous signature?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe any witness would accept or allow this request anyway.

and then later, in front of a CGC witness, signs again, writing EXACTLY over the previous signature?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe any witness would accept or allow this request anyway.

I'm sure you're right. The only scenario I can imagine is say at a con, you get something signed, for some reason without a witness (people misunderstand the process) then the creator takes pity on you and to help you out agrees to do it (telling the witness "I signed this 10 minutes ago but you weren't here, I'm just going to do it again".

Just to reiterate I'm not planning to do this! But it would be an interesting one, particularly if the witness knew they had just missed a genuine signing minutes ago and the creator was happy.

Didn't this actually happen with a Stan Lee sig and they dropped the grade down a .5 IIRC.

That was different - Stan Lee started signing the book, scribbled out his signature, then signed it in a different spot. All of this happened in front of the CGC witness - there wasn't a Stan Lee sig on the book prior to this.

That was different - Stan Lee started signing the book, scribbled out his signature, then signed it in a different spot. All of this happened in front of the CGC witness - there wasn't a Stan Lee sig on the book prior to this.

Man, that must have been annoying for the owner of the book!

I'm sure you're right. The only scenario I can imagine is say at a con, you get something signed, for some reason without a witness (people misunderstand the process) then the creator takes pity on you and to help you out agrees to do it (telling the witness "I signed this 10 minutes ago but you weren't here, I'm just going to do it again".

Just to reiterate I'm not planning to do this! But it would be an interesting one, particularly if the witness knew they had just missed a genuine signing minutes ago and the creator was happy.

No.

I saw this very scenario happen at NYCC. Once you carry the comic away from the artist's booth you're SOL. He even asked, "What if he tells your guy he signed it?" Nope.

Guest Grails

Man, that must have been annoying for the owner of the book!

meh, it was only a 9.8 Captain America #100.

This has been asked before, you get a yellow label with a note that there is another signature / name on the book.

Guest Grails

This has been asked before, you get a yellow label with a note that there is another signature / name on the book.

Your statement suggests that a signature trace is authorized by CGC. Link please.

Your statement suggests that a signature trace is authorized by CGC. Link please.

I think he glossed over the fact that the OP was asking specifically about a new signature being traced on top of an existing signature, Charlie :shy: