• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should we deslab our comics, if we don't plan on reselling?

11 posts in this topic

Having been on this site for about 2 months now, I've learned a lot about comics..restoration, grading, value..etc...

I came across this video of a person de-slabbing his comic.

Reading through the various comments..I'm getting these impressions..

1) Unless you have a high dollar book action comics, 1st captain america. 1st anybody etc..you wouldn't deslab or you may think about it, or if you plan on selling it..

If you don't plan on selling it..or not concerned about displaying it in a CGC Case..

Couldn't you put in mylar/full back (if mylar/full back is truly better than CGC Cases for archival reasons) then add your own encasement over that?

2) Doing a study to see if mylar/full back is better at keeping your comics from fading/pages...etc..than CGC Cases...

Has anybody did a study on the condition of a same graded comic over a number of years?

Example: Like 2 9.8's in new mutants 98...one keep in CGC for 4 years, one de-slabbed and immediately put in mylar/full back for 4 years.

On that 4th year, De-slab the one and see which one looks better or has any degraded?

3)If it's a 9.8 or 7.0 when its slabbed and you de-slab it (baring not have dropped it or tossed the CGC around). Handling it properly (gloves?) etc..etc..storage..shouldn't it still be a 9.8 or 7.0 if you send it back, if you do think about selling it later???

Has anybody did a study on the condition of a same graded comic over a number of years?

Your slabbed 9.8s will all turn to dust within 10,000 years. You'd be wise to break them out of their slabs now before that happens.

:makepoint:

Couldn't you put in mylar/full back (if mylar/full back is truly better than CGC Cases for archival reasons) then add your own encasement over that?

The CGC case is made from inert materials, is archival-safe, but isn't airtight - it's no different than putting your comic book inside two mylar bags.

Where the mylar/true acid-free backing board combo shines is with the buffered backing board which will help absorb some of the off-gassing that occurs when paper ages - it also makes it easier for you to switch out micro-chamber paper as it becomes inert (which doesn't happen after 7 years - no matter what CGC says).

I'm an archival nut, and have zero qualms about storing my precious books inside CGC slabs - what's much more important is controlling temperature and light.

The CGC case is made from inert materials, is archival-safe, but isn't airtight - it's no different than putting your comic book inside two mylar bags.

Where the mylar/true acid-free backing board combo shines is with the buffered backing board which will help absorb some of the off-gassing that occurs when paper ages - it also makes it easier for you to switch out micro-chamber paper as it becomes inert (which doesn't happen after 7 years - no matter what CGC says).

I'm an archival nut, and have zero qualms about storing my precious books inside CGC slabs - what's much more important is controlling temperature and light.

I wonder if CGC could place a board behind your comic, if you requested it..

Also, so if you personally don't plan on selling a book after getting it back from CGC w/ a verified grade. Which storage option would you do (assuming temperature and light are controlled)

1) 1 Mylar 2mil/Full back w/ micro chamber paper( do you put this only inside the front/back cover?). Making it easier, as you stated to switch out the paper

after 7 years

OR

2) CGC Case enclosed and sending back in after 7 years for reslab.?

Do you know if anybody did the study I suggested previously with the New Mutants example?

Thanks for the help. I have actually 3 (Wolverine #50, Jungle Action #5, Black Panther Sketch #1 2009) slabbed books (don't plan on selling) and thought about deslabbing from the information shown (because of possible better protection, able to read..instead of buying a copy), but don't know..

No, CGC will not include a backing board inside their case.

I happily use both storage methods - I have about 600 CGC books, but the majority of my collection is raw; I deslab books all the time, but I would never do so simply for archival reasons. It just doesn't make sense considering that both storage methods are archival-safe.

Also ... there's zero reason to send a 7-year old CGC book in to be reholdered - there's no hard data to support CGC's theory that micro-chamber paper becomes inert after a mere 7 years, and even if it magically did, having inert MCP inside a slab wouldn't harm the book in any way.

In regards to the New Mutants example, if the external storage environment was the same for the two books, there'd be no noticeable difference between the two after 4 years.

Are you prepared to possibly have to pay to have your comics reslabbed and have them come back at a possible lower grade?

Is your next of kin aware of what you have and how to reslab them in order to sell them for maximum value should you happen to perish?

These are important questions that only you can answer. Please do not forget what can and will happen to your collection after you die. A lot of collectors don't want to think about this. This is a mistake; in my opinion.

Sorry to sound 'morbid', but it is something we all must consider.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Also, so if you personally don't plan on selling a book after getting it back from CGC w/ a verified grade. Which storage option would you do (assuming temperature and light are controlled)

1) 1 Mylar 2mil/Full back w/ micro chamber paper( do you put this only inside the front/back cover?). Making it easier, as you stated to switch out the paper

after 7 years

OR

2) CGC Case enclosed and sending back in after 7 years for reslab.?

So I'm probably missing something here, but why would you send a book in to CGC to be graded and then de-slab it when you got it back from them? Or were you actually talking about a situation where you buy an already slabbed book from someone?