• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Favorite Series Finale?

58 posts in this topic

We have the thread on favorite episode for a show, but what is your favorite Series (not season) finale?

It's got to be MASH for me. After all the years of growing with those characters seeing them finally get to leave the war are go their separate ways was touching to say the least. Keep in mind that I was born in 1975 so the show ended when I was rather young. Even so the ending was still moving years later when I finally saw it.

I'll also put in an Honorable Mention for Cheers. Sam looking through a darkened bar and telling the guy at the door "Sorry, we're closed" got me.

We have the thread on favorite episode for a show, but what is your favorite Series (not season) finale?

It's got to be MASH for me. After all the years of growing with those characters seeing them finally get to leave the war are go their separate ways was touching to say the least.

I'll also put in an Honorable Mention for Cheers. Sam looking through a darkened bar and telling the guy at the door "Sorry, we're closed" got me.

MAGNUM!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo!

St Elsewhere....

Really freaked me out that the hospital turned out to be a model in a snow-dome and that everything that transpired (stories/characters etc..) during all previous episodes were the figment of an autistic child's imagination/inner world..

St Elsewhere....

Really freaked me out that the hospital turned out to be a model in a snow-dome and that everything that transpired (stories/characters etc..) during all previous episodes were the figment of an autistic child's imagination/inner world..

You took the words right out of my mouth. St. Elsewhere was the most moving, creative and shocking ending of all time. It still gives me chills thinking about it. What a great show....

It is rare that I actually sustain interest in a series until its (often) bitter end... MASH, Friends and Frasier are prime examples.

That said, I'd have to say Star Trek: Voyager (narrowly beating out Star Trek: The Next Generation) mainly because I loved the portrayal of the older Janeway. She came across as this cynical Kirk-ian admiral that just completely tossed out all of the feel-good Trekisms and was obsessed about achieving her goal.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I watched this show religiously from age 14 up to age 19 when it ended...

it's a crying shame that only the pilot and none of +-140 episodes are availebale on DVD...I've only seen every episode once and after 17 years my memory is hazy...

frown.gif

Most last episodes are boring (Friends) or just plain [!@#%^&^] (Seinfield) but Voyager was truely a great fitting end to a series that started out crappy and got much better towards the end.

The Seinfeld Courtroom takes the cake!! grin.gif

I have to agree, although a lot of people didn't like the ending.

But if you really understood the characters the way uber fans do then you realise it was the best ending possible. I loved it...it was great to see a lot of the old characters back to give Seinfeld and the other Monk's Cafe regulars thier just deserts. When I miss Seinfeld I just turn on HBOs Crub your Enthusiasm. Larry David (co-creator of Seinfeld) is a comedy genius. I always laugh at anything his written. Anyone see his movie SOUR GRAPES? what a freaking great movie. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I hate cheap "it was all the dream" endings like that, and although St. Elsewhere dressed it up a bit, it's still Pam waking up and seeing Bobby walk out of the shower. 893frustrated.gif

Most last episodes are boring (Friends) or just plain [!@#%^&^] (Seinfield) but Voyager was truely a great fitting end to a series that started out crappy and got much better towards the end.

I think Voyager went out very strong, and probably had a few more seasons in it. Too bad... Deep Snooze Nine went on WAYYYY too long and Voyager got cut short. frown.gif

I hate cheap "it was all the dream" endings like that, and although St. Elsewhere dressed it up a bit, it's still Pam waking up and seeing Bobby walk out of the shower. 893frustrated.gif

Oh but it wasn't a dream at all...the St. Elegius hospital world really exists in the mind of the autistic child, just like our universe is part of an atom in a giant's fingernail and we all probably have a few universes tucked away in our fingernails.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh but it wasn't a dream at all...the St. Elegius hospital world really exists in the mind of the autistic child...

I fail to see the difference, and that's because there isn't one.

These are endings where we get the standard "what you saw before was NOT real" cheap-out tricks. It doesn't matter if it was a dream, someone's imagination, a nightmare or a computer simulation, it's the same lame writer's trick.

But like I said, St Elsewhere did manage to put this hackneyed gag in a nice suit, thereby fooling a great many people.

But if you really understood the characters the way uber fans do then you realise it was the best ending possible.

Spoken like a true fanboy. 27_laughing.gif

With Seinfeld I'll be the first to admit it. I'm the original fanboy. I was a fan of the show before it was hip to be a fan of the show. I've seen every episode of Seinfeld. At one point i could tell you just by the episode #, what the show's title was and what happened in that episode....unfortunitly all that knowledge has left my brain. I have a huge Seinfeld stuff collection back at my parents house that I left there when I went to college. I need to buy a frame for my Kramer painting poster....the cheap thing I bought for it keeps breaking apart.

stk-l.jpg

Oh but it wasn't a dream at all...the St. Elegius hospital world really exists in the mind of the autistic child...

You need to watch Animal House,especially the Donald Sutherland scenes...

You need to watch Animal House,especially the Donald Sutherland scenes...

I have, but I fail to see how that changes the St. Elsewhere finale from the same "all you watched before was not real" endings we've seen time and time again. ??