• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Friendship vs. Collecting

57 posts in this topic

Sounds like me and chrisco37... I can't wait to find his FF's with early Doom appearances, show them to him, buy it in front of him then try to flip it to him for twice my cost!

Better yet...perhaps you can have Peanut pee on them after you show the books to him... insane.gif

That said... it may be different if I was a dealer of some kind. Your business is important as well and passing up the chance to keep customers supplied with what they need and pass up on a good profit is hard.

Well, I WAS a customer of his as well. I bought a lot of stuff from him over the years... then we started chatting online and on the phone as friends... and we'd meet up when we went to shows. But he lost me for the sake of a making a few hundred bucks. He beat me out on that deal, but I'll never buy from him again.

Honestly... if you were a comic dealer and your friend needed an AF 15 (who doesn't) and you had a chance to pick one up at half the going rate would you let your friend buy it or would you pick it up for resell? Business is hard to pass on.

Understood and a good point. But I'd hope my friend would just buy the AF 15 and not rub it in my face first. 893naughty-thumb.gif

why couldnt you two come to terms sothat you BUY it from him? Im sure the price (including a profit for th edealer) would sting a bit (or a lot!!) but then you get what YOU want, and he, as a dealer, makes a sale which is why he bought it.

I feel for you. We sometimes get to feeling our dealer friends are "friends" and not our suppliers. And they for their part see us as only onein a list of customer/friends, or friendly customers, or how about: "customers with priveledges!)

Friendship and family first! thumbsup2.gif

Everything else is a far second............

Glad to hear it old buddy!!

btw - - Im sending in a mis-graded book... SOmeone mistakenly put it in a 9.0 holder and its really a 9.6. No, I mean a 9.8!! Wouldja step in and fix it for me ol' pal, yknow, for old times sake?? Hows the wife and kid? greeeat!!!

Glad to hear it old buddy!!

btw - - Im sending in a mis-graded book... SOmeone mistakenly put it in a 9.0 holder and its really a 9.6. No, I mean a 9.8!! Wouldja step in and fix it for me ol' pal, yknow, for old times sake?? Hows the wife and kid? greeeat!!!

sign-funnypost.gif

Understood and a good point. But I'd hope my friend would just buy the AF 15 and not rub it in my face first. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I agree... it was bad enough that he did it to you in the first place, but to rub it in your face like that... 893naughty-thumb.gif not cool.

why couldnt you two come to terms sothat you BUY it from him? Im sure the price (including a profit for th edealer) would sting a bit (or a lot!!) but then you get what YOU want, and he, as a dealer, makes a sale which is why he bought it.

Someone at the show suggested that and my pride would not allow it. wink.gif I couldn't just hand him an instant profit for his actions, whether it be $20 or $200

We sometimes get to feeling our dealer friends are "friends" and not our suppliers. And they for their part see us as only one in a list of customer/friends, or friendly customers, or how about: "customers with privileges!)

Well said!

it was just hanging there and I couldnt type fast enough thinking someone else would hit it out first!!

but it underscores the interesting dynamics of "friends, dealesr and customers". When does a "favor" violate someone's principles (Borock) or take money out of someones pocket (the dealer) ??? So who is right?

For me it would come down to being a friend first. I believe it's the whole Karma thing... if you keep doing nice things for friends it will come around to you in the end.

Me too................... thumbsup2.gif

Doesn't sound like much of friend. I have a "friend" that I've known for many years and he owes me some money going on 4 years now and hasn't paid me a dime yet he carries on like it doesn't exist. Certain people are funny when it comes to money, they will rob their mothers for a few dollars if they had to. Needless to say this guy is out of the loop and as far as I'm concerned and is no longer part of the inner circle. As you get older you find out who your real close friends are and typically you can count them on one hand.

Try and talk him into selling it to you and give him a chance to redeem himself. If this doesn't work then you know where you stand going forward.

I met this guy through a collectibles Yahoo email group about 5 years ago. We chatted through email, did some trades, I bought some stuff from him. Eventually we started chatting on the phone once every couple of weeks about the hobby, and all kinds of stuff. We'd meet up when there was a show we were both going to and grab lunch or dinner. So, I considered him a "friend."

is there sex involved?

Friends 1st.

I've given comics to friends that needed to complete runs. They have done the same for me.

If I'm out and I spot a book that someone needs I buy it. If its not to expensive I just give it to them. If its expensive, I call them.

I met this guy through a collectibles Yahoo email group about 5 years ago. We chatted through email, did some trades, I bought some stuff from him. Eventually we started chatting on the phone once every couple of weeks about the hobby, and all kinds of stuff. We'd meet up when there was a show we were both going to and grab lunch or dinner. So, I considered him a "friend."

is there sex involved?

Does dirty phone talk count as "sex"? tongue.gif You have a sick mind. 27_laughing.gifwink.gif

Where do you draw the line between a "friend" and your own collecting/selling interests? Here's a story to clarify...

It's tough... most friendships involve an exchange of things other than money. There can certainly be money exchanged between friends, but if that's the only thing being exchanged it's tough to call it a friendship.

If your "friend" had passed along the photo in question to you, without compensation, what other interactions are there in the relationship by which you could return the favor? If the only way for you to return the favor to this friend was by spending money with him, then it's not really a friendship. It's more of a "preferred" customer relationship. I have customers that I give better deals as a result of a "preferred" relationship. And they in turn give me some of the business that they probably would have given someone else if it were purely a question of money.

But I also have friends who are customers. People who have a lot of different ways of "paying me back" for the favor. We still do deals that involve money, but money isn't the only reason for the interaction.

One of the oft-quoted tests of a friendship is would you feel comfortable giving your friend a key to your house?... If not, get a new friend...

It sounds to me like you and your acquaintance had different perceptions of how strong your friendship was. That isn't necessarily his fault. But as a couple posters have already said, at least now you know where you stand. confused-smiley-013.gif

So,if this one time friend of yours offers you the photo at even a smal profit,you'll flip him off due to pride?

What kind of friend are you? A buddy makes an [!@#%^&^] out of himself and you forever blow him off? Friendship is a two way street,try lookng at it from his point of view. He's a dealer,he goes to a show and finds something worth buying. Then his friend gets upset because he won't sell it to you at cost. If you hadn't been with him at the show,you'd gladly buy it from him,no? So you blow off your friendship because he was a good enough friend to hang with and go to the show together.

Maybe you have a plethoria of friends and can make new ones easily,but it seems you both have too much into this to blow it off over a few bucks.

Split the cost of the photo,split a case of Michelob and burn the damn thing. thumbsup2.gif

So,if this one time friend of yours offers you the photo at even a smal profit,you'll flip him off due to pride?

Well, he didn't offer it to me at a small profit, so it's a moot point.

try lookng at it from his point of view. He's a dealer,he goes to a show and finds something worth buying. Then his friend gets upset because he won't sell it to you at cost. If you hadn't been with him at the show,you'd gladly buy it from him,no?

For the sake of brevity, I didn't go into every detail, but it's not like he bought it and I saw it afterward and expected him to give it to me at cost.

BEFORE he bought it, he called me over, showed it to me on the dealer table, said "Look Steve, it's inscribed with your name on it." I replied, "Wow, I need one of those."

I told him I had to step away for a minute to check the price for having another guest at the show sign the photo and to get my checkbook (my fiance had it in her purse). I returned less than 1 minute later and said I wanted to get it... then he said, "Too late, I just bought it."

893naughty-thumb.gif