• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Speculator Market

143 posts in this topic

I think the wave of image second prints has to be part of some sort of internal redesign of their publishing strategy that capitalizes the motivation of many readers to capture perceived value in the secondary market. It is the only thing that really makes sense. It definitely sounds like something that would be dreamt up by a managerial consulting firm. McKinsey and Company e.g., redesigned Enron, AIG and a ton of other major corporations in America. They come in to a corporation and analyze the data and do some research on what drives sales and profit and then come up with strategies to minimize losses and maximize profits. I'm convinced that some consulting firm told Image to stop over printing to fill late orders and to call more books sell outs and go back to print with variant covers. Its very similar to the redesign projects they've done at insurance companies that I've seen. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me.

It still leaves Image as having 'sell outs' by design

I definitely think so now that I've thought about it ... that's why I'm think it was a consulting firm or someone who worked for one or is familiar with their (neuropsych-economics model) for business who is in management at Image adopted this idea. It's a brilliant move for them. It encourages readers to perceive that titles are better than they are, hotter than they are, more interesting than they are, to spend more money and minimizes the publisher's losses while maximizing profit and encouraging title loyalty.

I started collecting in around 1985, and perceive 2nd prints as "undesirable". That continues to today, and if I'm going to buy a book, I buy a first print. All my stores sold out of thief of thieves 2, but the shop owners were quick to tell me when the 2nd print was due. I guess this serves two purposes, one, to get the book out, and continue to make $ getting the book into people's hands. And two, it does drive up the price of the first print. If they are running more lean on initial printing to ensure future profitability, I like that. Image has been putting out some of the most enjoyable books for the past 5 years, and if this model helps them achieve continued success, have at it.

I don't know if all that false perception creates loyalty. Not long term.

Right, but long enough that you get people to read your comic who otherwise wouldn't have and there's a perceived value/quality because readers think that everyone else enjoyed it. It's kind of like in politics why a lot of people who don't know anything about a candidate will vote for the one who they think is going to win. Basicly the idea is that you construct the reality you want by making people perceive that it already exists that way. I wasn't a psych major so I don't know the right term for it, but that is sort of the idea.

I'd like to see some proof in what you guys are talking about. I just don't see how, as an example, Brubaker and Phillips have the time to sell copies of Fatale on the secondary market in any kind of numbers that make it worth it for them.

It wouldn't take much to get one of their wives or brothers and sisters etc to list the books on ebay.

I'd like to see some proof in what you guys are talking about. I just don't see how, as an example, Brubaker and Phillips have the time to sell copies of Fatale on the secondary market in any kind of numbers that make it worth it for them.

It wouldn't take much to get one of their wives or brothers and sisters etc to list the books on ebay.

I'm with Chuck on this one. It's easy to make sweeping statements without proof. Show me a link to a recent ebay sale that has a connection to a publisher/artist/creator etc. otherwise it's all BS.

I'm with Chuck on this one. It's easy to make sweeping statements without proof. Show me a link to a recent ebay sale that has a connection to a publisher/artist/creator etc. otherwise it's all BS.

If there was proof the SHTF but if you really need proof, Tony Moore's wife selling his stuff on ebay is a good example.

I think there's healthy speculation going on. Very few people are buying boxes of off-the-shelf comics, but they might buy 1 or 3 copies of something that might do something. And hell, they're likely to read one of them and perhaps get into the series.

I think the speculation today has a negligible affect on overall comic sales, and thus is harmless.

That's because you're only looking at it from your own point of view.

:cloud9:

If there was proof the SHTF but if you really need proof, Tony Moore's wife selling his stuff on ebay is a good example.

No. That's not a good example.

A good example would be if she was selling sold out copies of a comic he did the art for that came out last week.

A good example would be if she was selling sold out copies of a comic he did the art for that came out last week.

Yes it is, my reply was to creators not having the time to hock their stuff them selves and using family members. My example clearly shows one creator's wife selling his items. I'm not talking about the original topic in which a comic creator/company hoards large amounts of items in order to sell them on the secondary market. In that regard, seeing is believing for some people.

In what quantities? 10? 100? thousands? what's the ebay name?

Yes it is, my reply was to creators not having the time to hock their stuff them selves and using family members. My example clearly shows one creator's wife selling his items. I'm not talking about the original topic in which a comic creator/company hoards large amounts of items in order to sell them on the secondary market. In that regard, seeing is believing for some people.

your "example" "clearly shows" nothing. No proof = BS... End of story

lol

Hey now. Completely separate points got thrown together to conclude Brubaker is stashing part of his print run? Come on now. You're much better than that Chuck. Speedmaster certainly lives up to his name. lol

For Image to be selling out of so many titles makes me think something is going on. That something is more along the lines of enjoying the seemingly free publicity from an apparent 'sell out'. If they were truly concerned with selling out then they would fix it.

Most publishers these days attempt to manufacture collectibles in the form of small print runs, variants and incentive issues.

Some publishers (Zenescope and IDW come to mind) do sell to the secondary market. I wouldn't consider the volume to be significant but they do it. Some artists do as well and again in small numbers.

I'm very surprised that more do not do it. I had an artist recently request a graded copy of his title. I thought the request was awesome personally.