• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GothamCentral (sad news)

34 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am sorry to inform you that Carlos' wife Maria passed away last Wednesday morning after a year+ stay at the hospital. Maria was an amazing person who made everyone feel welcomed. She will be sadly missed by family, friends and all the faces she met at our local cons.

Carlos and Alivia (daughter) are doing as fine as can be but if anyone would like to send Carlos their thoughts he can be reached at shockwave@rogers.com or you can send him a PM.

Those of you who know Carlos, he's an upstanding guy and a familiar face on the con scene. For those who have yet to meet him, Carlos first became a Signature Series witness in 2005 and has gone on to obtain some of the hardest to obtain signatures out there but most importantly he's become one of my best friends.

With Paul Litch's blessing I am putting together a fundraiser to help offset funeral costs. If anyone is willing to donate a book(s); graded or non graded; or make a monetary donation please PM me. A sales thread will be posted Wednesday evening (say 10pm EST), March 21 with all donations made. If you happen to know anyone who would also like to contribute please feel free to let me know. Logistical details will be sent directly to anyone making a contribution.

I thank you all in advance for your thoughts and any contribution you can make.

Will (willie.wong@sympatico.ca or 416-315-2769)

I've never met his wife, but I have been fortunate enough to meet Carlos. The most decent stand-up guy I have ever met on the boards. Truly truly sad news. My condolences to him and his family

I've only come to know Carlos recently through a few conversations over the phone, and without meeting him in person it was easy to conclude that he is one of the better people to walk this planet. He cared deeply for his wife. I am so sorry to hear this. Such sad news. He and his family have my heartfelt sympathy.

My condolences to you and your family, Carlos. Carlos is definitely one of the nicest people I have met, and has helped me out quite a bit, with my current collection.

This is a book that Carlos and friends got done for me. I will be contributing this one for the sales thread.

A Tribute To Michael Turner

Signed & Sketches by Gary Frank, Billy Tucci, Buzz, Brandon Peterson, Andy Smith, Chris Moreno, Joe Benitez, Francis Manapul, Agnes Garbowska. Signed by Joe Quesada, Christina Strain, Dan Didio.

ATributeToMichaelTurner.jpg

No amount of words can express the sorrow that this new has brought to me and my family. Carlos and Maria have opened their home to me on many occasions and had become great personal friends of mine over the years. Maria was truly an outstanding human being and will always be remembered for her kind and thoughtful nature.

Thank you all for your kind words and support in this sad time.

Carlos is a great guy, and has helped me get some really tough signatures. Most recently he was instrumental in helping me finish off this book, which I plan to include in the fund raiser.

Another sad example of how bad things happen to good people. My condolences to Carlos and his family.

star_trek_1_marv_ss98_006.jpg

I've known Carlos going on many years now, and I had the pleasure of meeting Maria when I reconnected with Carlos after taking some years away from comics.

Like many others have said here, I can only echo their thoughts and sentiments, because I too believe he and his family are outstanding, thoughtful and loving people who were second to none in regards to love, friendship and kindness.

My heart goes out to him and his family as they go through this difficult time.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I only ever spoke to Carlos on the phone but he helped me get several books for my collection. I knew he was juggling a lot but I had no idea it was this serious. My condolences to him and his family during this tough time.