• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Comics Vol.1 No. 7

5 posts in this topic

I recently came across a copy of Star Comics Volume 1 Number 7, November 1937, and I'm having a hard time finding any hard facts about it, and Ultem in general. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how many were printed and exactly how rare this book might be.

I'm not a comic collector by trade, but it's not from a lack of desire, I just plain don't have the time or money. I was actually thinking about framing it and putting it on the wall just because I think it's cool.

I've contacted a few stores, the CGC, and several other forums, nevermind the all-mighty google, yet I can't find any actual stats. I would love to know more about the history of this book, star comics, and Ultem if anyone would be kind enough to put on their professor's cap for me.

Thanks much,

-Nav

Welcome to the Boards

I don't think anyone knows how many were published and attempting to estimate how many remain is very difficult.

There is some information on the artists/writers http://www.comics.org/issue/232/

If you do frame it then I would suggest UV-protected glass and don't hang it where where it will receive direct light as even UV glass isn't 100% protection.

One of our members wrote a summary history of what is know about that particular publisher. Hopefully he will chime in and re-post it here.

Star Comics 7 (I have a copy - no scan, sorry) is a neat book, the first regular sized issue of the series. The prior six, magazine-sized, issues are more scarce than the Star Comics 7.

Very cool early Guardineer art...

And welcome to the Boards! :applause:

The issue of Star Comics you have is from what I call the "Centaur Family" of titles - most collectors term all the books that ended up part of the Centaur line (and a couple that didn't) as Centaurs. Star Comics' first six issues were oversized and published by Chesler: http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/Home/4/1/73/1017?articleID=41318.

In late 1937, two titles from Comics Magazine and two from Chesler were taken over by Ultem. Ultem's time as a publisher was very brief - only three issues of Star Comics were published under the Ultem indicia.

In March 1938, all four Ultem titles were taken over by Centaur. Later in 1938, Centaur started adding new titles.

GCD has a lot of great info. There's also a "Centaur Comics" thread in this forum that has a lot of great info. Back issues of Comic Book Marketplace (with great Centaur article by saccentaur in #4) and Alter Ego have periodic articles on this "family".