• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Erased/removed delivery dates

16 posts in this topic

I have received some comics with what looks like grease pencil dates that have been mostly removed, not sure how. Is this considered restoration? If so, what is the ding on an otherwise, say, 7.5 book?

I bought a ton of books in the late 60s from the old downtown Torrance Book Shop that had grease-pencil resale prices on the front covers and would get them home and either try to scrape/scratch them off or erase them off.

Pretty sure this is just a wear and tear ding depending on the "damage"...not restoration certainly, you haven't removed anything from the book or repaired anything about the original book...no different in my mind that you spilled something, food/liquid on the book and cleaned it off...remaining condition depending on the severity equates to wear and tear... 2c

Just saw the date thread in Silver, thanks for the heads up. So consensus is, partial/full erased dates are lame, but not restoration?

Erasing a date stamp or grease pencil mark should fall under the destruction category. If you erase hard enough to remove the writing you are removing underlying ink and in some severe cases the top layer of paper. Not good. Better to leave the book as is and sell it if you cannot live with the stamp or writing.

Grease pencil marks can be easily removed without damaging the ink. The only problem is that after the mark has been on there so long it causes a little discoloration from the paper soaking up the oils from the pencil.

Grease pencil marks can be easily removed without damaging the ink. The only problem is that after the mark has been on there so long it causes a little discoloration from the paper soaking up the oils from the pencil.

I think the Avengers 11 is a good example of this. Although it appear there was a little color loss due to the erasure the remaining date marks you can see are most likely due to what has been soaked into the paper.

Avengers_11.jpg

I once owned an FF 19 (Old Label) that had a notation of "small erasure on cover" that described a removed arrival date. The damage was not too bad and it had probably been a penciled arrival date. The indentation was visible if you knew to look. The Blue Label grade was 9.0, and while this is my opinion, it was only a 9.0 with OR without the defect. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I once owned an FF 19 (Old Label) that had a notation of "small erasure on cover" that described a removed arrival date. The damage was not too bad and it had probably been a penciled arrival date. The indentation was visible if you knew to look. The Blue Label grade was 9.0, and while this is my opinion, it was only a 9.0 with OR without the defect. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Stuff like this is one of the reasons they stopped putting notes on the label. People might get confused and think it was not taken into consideration with the assigned grade.

On the other hand the AV #16 is a tragedy . . . :(

Date erased next to issue number #16

Avengers_16.jpg

I am always interested in this because I have about 80 silver age books with grease pencil dates.I am correct in thinking that for the condition of this particular book the grease pencil would not of taking the grade down at all right? But now the eraser marks will take it down.

I am always interested in this because I have about 80 silver age books with grease pencil dates.I am correct in thinking that for the condition of this particular book the grease pencil would not of taking the grade down at all right? But now the eraser marks will take it down.

Leave the grease pencil dates alone. Even in high grade their impact on the grade of the book is minimal. Erasure marks however = defacement.

In lower grade books, the impact of erasure marks on grade is less, but you'll find the ease of resale to be greatly reduced.