• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone used Square (or another wireless credit card reader) at cons?

25 posts in this topic

First off, I use Square (used). It's fine if you're swiping at cons and such up to a point. The problem comes up with large transactions (multiples of $1000s)

They have a tendancy of holding funds and doing "account reviews" when you hit some $$$ threshold. Problem is they have no customer service phone so good luck. You have to wait until they get back to you by email. They held about $3000 in my account around Christmas and I had to wait several days for a response. Sent them all the paperwork and stuff they asked for again and they finally released my funds.

They just did it to me again last week for $2000, but released the funds the next day... but someone just sent me another email asking me to verify my account, the dreaded "Square wants to know more about your business" email.

It's a drag, and they have a horrible record if you do an online search.

I tried to move over to Intuit in early January and they pulled the same stunt on me with my second charge, asked me for my customer's phone number. I told them if there was problem his CC company should call him, not the middle man (Intuit). After some BS and getting my customer involved they released the funds. Haven't dealt with them since. Reminds me to close the account.

I opened up a Merchant account with Wells Fargo. They use Authorize.net which has a key in App as well as Virtual Terminal. And, if I have any problems from this point forward I can go into the branch and speak to one of my reps, or get a live person on a phone.

I have a long history with PayPal so I will be looking into their swipe as well.

Here in canada is always best to deal with a bank for a small buisness transition

I would not go to a vender and swipe my card with its imbeded chip into a machine with out seeing a recognisable name on the machine ! The banks in canada are very good at covering bad transactions !

If your a small buisness taking credit cards should you not be reliable enough to have a bank acount ?

Credit cards outside of paypal to strangers anywere scares me bad ! Guess I am just to old for new things !!

This is one of the reasons I use American Express. They are extremely good at detecting a fraud transaction, very pro-active in contacting you, and it is super easy to dispute transactions if there is a problem. Plus they double the warranty on anything I buy and provide the equivalent of the collision damage waiver on every car I rent, so I don't have to worry.

They use them in Apple stores, as well.

Exactly

I also think it's the future of shopping. Why wait in line when the sales person can process the transaction right at the point of sale?

First off, I use Square (used). It's fine if you're swiping at cons and such up to a point. The problem comes up with large transactions (multiples of $1000s)

They have a tendancy of holding funds and doing "account reviews" when you hit some $$$ threshold. Problem is they have no customer service phone so good luck. You have to wait until they get back to you by email. They held about $3000 in my account around Christmas and I had to wait several days for a response. Sent them all the paperwork and stuff they asked for again and they finally released my funds.

They just did it to me again last week for $2000, but released the funds the next day... but someone just sent me another email asking me to verify my account, the dreaded "Square wants to know more about your business" email.

It's a drag, and they have a horrible record if you do an online search.

I tried to move over to Intuit in early January and they pulled the same stunt on me with my second charge, asked me for my customer's phone number. I told them if there was problem his CC company should call him, not the middle man (Intuit). After some BS and getting my customer involved they released the funds. Haven't dealt with them since. Reminds me to close the account.

I opened up a Merchant account with Wells Fargo. They use Authorize.net which has a key in App as well as Virtual Terminal. And, if I have any problems from this point forward I can go into the branch and speak to one of my reps, or get a live person on a phone.

I have a long history with PayPal so I will be looking into their swipe as well.

We have had the same issues you described, with the $$$ threshold. The reasoning for us choosing the Intuit product over, say, the Wells Fargo one (which we looked at) was the integration into Quickbooks. With the Intuit product it's all done seamlessly. With the Wells Fargo product, we would have to have imported them in. That was important to us. Also the rate was competitive.