• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 22 Pink cover variant? CGC 9.4

29 posts in this topic

Please don't ecourage them. foreheadslap.gif893naughty-thumb.giftongue.gif

27_laughing.gif I'm not going to press that book. Aside from the fact that I am anti-press and resub, I'd never be able to sell it without you guys and Hammer busting me and I'd never live that down.

Nothing wrong with pressing a little wrinkle out of a book as far as I'm concerned. Your not adding anything artificial or changing its original production? Just think of it as TLC for your comics.

How tape is not considered to be restoration but glue is baffles me. Isn't tape essentially glue but on tape? sign-rantpost.gifmakepoint.gif

Nothing wrong with pressing a little wrinkle out of a book as far as I'm concerned. Your not adding anything artificial or changing its original production? Just think of it as TLC for your comics.

How tape is not considered to be restoration but glue is baffles me. Isn't tape essentially glue but on tape? sign-rantpost.gifmakepoint.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What made you buy silveracre's 22 when you already had drummy's in the exact same grade? The PQ is exactly the same, and the one you already had was even better QP-wise.

What made you buy silveracre's 22 when you already had drummy's in the exact same grade? The PQ is exactly the same, and the one you already had was even better QP-wise.

I wanted to see which one was better with book in hand. I'm not a QP freak, so that is not the Alpha and the Omega of my decision as it appears to be for some QP tools on this forum. QP matters, but the way some of the people on here act like it is the end of the world makes me laugh. If it is visually distracting, it has already been factored into the numerical grade somewhat, so get a grip already. makepoint.gif

By the way -- I'm looking at this thread at home now and I can see what all of the hullabaloo was about the "pink" variant. It looks quite a bit pinker on this monitor than it does on my work monitor (where both books look pretty similar to what they look like in real life). It is not as pink in real life as it looks on my home monitor (holy cow, almost bubble gum pink). It is just a little bit lighter, as you can probably see on this scan:

ff22x2.jpg

I'm not a QP freak, so that is not the Alpha and the Omega of my decision as it appears to be for some QP tools on this forum. QP matters, but the way some of the people on here act like it is the end of the world makes me laugh. If it is visually distracting, it has already been factored into the numerical grade somewhat, so get a grip already. makepoint.gif

The reason you hear so much about it in the forums is because it matters to many people, and to many others--including Steve Borock, judging by statements he's made in the past--it doesn't matter much at all unless it's severe, i.e. in the 1/4" or greater range. The "QP freaks" know it's a controversial subject, which is why it's so often discussed. I harp on QP, but it's not because I'm a freak, i.e. that I place more value on QP than the other categories of physical defects which go into grading, it's because I know it matters to more people than the majority of collectors realize and I like to remind them that their views aren't as universal as they sometimes seem to believe.

Many "QP freaks" are also aware that over the course of a decade or so following the introduction of certification into other hobbies, this same issue became part of mainstream grading in collectibles such as cards and coins, and there's good reason to believe it will eventually play a bigger part in comics than it does now, although likely not as BIG a part as in the other hobbies. From what I've noticed in cards, 1/8" of off-centeredness leads to the card going for a fraction of the price of one with nice centering. Comics shouldn't be looked at in the exact same way as cards with regards to centering since they're so much larger and more complex (multiple pages that are "moving parts" meant to be functionally opened and turned), but at the same time, it shouldn't be ignored as many, many collectors and dealers seem to.

The miswrap on silveracre's copy of FF #22 is more visually distracting than a 1/2" non-color-breaking crease. It's immediately obvious that angled, white miswrap from the back isn't an intentional part of the art. It takes less than 5 seconds to spot the miswrap from across the room, but non-color-breaking creases can take a minute or more to find, and in some cases--when they're well-hidden in the art--even tight graders can overlook them entirely at close range. I understand that a non-color-breaking crease affects the structural integrity of the comic, and that a bend/fold that doesn't break color is one step away from a crease that DOES break color. However, weighing visual aesthetics SIGNIFICANTLY below (many graders ignore QP entirely confused.gif ) almost ANY structural problem of FAR lesser physical dimensions is a mistake made far too frequently.

Having said all this, the harping on the QP of Josh's FF 49 that went on in the other thread was overblown...that was only a 1/32" miswrap! It's definitely made more severe by the fact that the front cover is black and the back is white, which leads to the highest possible color contrast that is INSTANTLY recognizable, but still, that book has a EXTREMELY high QP. Even as a "QP freak" myself, I'd love to own that one! cloud9.gif

I wanted to see which one was better with book in hand. I'm not a QP freak, so that is not the Alpha and the Omega of my decision as it appears to be for some QP tools on this forum. QP matters, but the way some of the people on here act like it is the end of the world makes me laugh. If it is visually distracting, it has already been factored into the numerical grade somewhat, so get a grip already. makepoint.gif

By the way -- I'm looking at this thread at home now and I can see what all of the hullabaloo was about the "pink" variant. It looks quite a bit pinker on this monitor than it does on my work monitor (where both books look pretty similar to what they look like in real life). It is not as pink in real life as it looks on my home monitor (holy cow, almost bubble gum pink). It is just a little bit lighter, as you can probably see on this scan:

ff22x2.jpg

yeh, this is definitely a better scan and now the cover looks red and the label looks blue. the other one was definitely pink with a purplish label. i jumped to the same quick conclusion that the scan was simply "off" which now appears to be the case. no "Pink" variant here. both beauties, BTW.............. grin.gif

Sorry I did not pick up this thread earlier. I see Darryl (Silveracre) at the Manchester (UK) Comics Mart every few weeks or so. Next time, I will let him know the fuss his faulty scanner has caused.

This FF22 was listed on Ebay along with other books such as the FF16 (which, like the FF22, has a full red cover). All images containing "red" were similarly pink-hued. The FF22 and FF16 were like two peas in a pod colour-wise. I saw Darryl and the books at the UK Memorabilia show in Birmingham a few weeks back - they were of normal colour. Darryl told me that the RED on his scanner is faulty - I do not know if he has fixed it yet.

When I saw the pink FF22 image on Metropolis, I assumed they were using the original Ebay image.

Hope this clears the matter up.